PDA

View Full Version : My new Falcon Para folder broke

Jackrabbit
July 21, 2008, 14:16
The tang that interlocks with the folder broke right off. I maybe open and closed it 7-8 times. It appears to be a pretty crappily cast part. Either that or I'm doing something wrong... but seems to me these parts are going to contact each other and should be of good strength.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue?

I haven't tried to contact Falcon yet.

-Wade

SIG552
July 21, 2008, 14:44
Never had an issue with them. Call them and I am quite sure they will help out. They're good people.

RRotz
July 21, 2008, 23:34
can you post pics? im interested in seeing the dmg.

jaflowers
July 22, 2008, 13:13
Originally posted by RRotz
can you post pics? im interested in seeing the dmg.

+1

Was looking real hard at buying one of those myself. Please keep us informed.

Jackrabbit
July 22, 2008, 14:59
I glued it back on for the time being, but I don't expect that it will hold.
I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or so. It's a sizeable portion of metal to break.

I just left Falcon a message on their voice mail to call me at home tonight.
Will advise.

Azrial
July 22, 2008, 23:59
Humm, I just bought one of their AK stocks the other day. It looks like a nice piece. I would also be interested in seeing a picture of your stock's damage.

powermad
July 23, 2008, 05:29
Which side broke off? The stock side or the block side?
Either way contact Falcon about it.

Jackrabbit
July 23, 2008, 09:58
Here's the pics. It's on the block side.
Falcon told me to send it back and they would take care of it. I feel like I'll have to baby it now, which is kind of a drag.

http://www.jr-ms.com/images/FAL%201.JPG
http://www.jr-ms.com/images/FAL%202.JPG
http://www.jr-ms.com/images/FAL%203.JPG

Azrial
July 23, 2008, 11:12
Well hopefully you just got the random bad one. I am hoping that mine is not flawed in that way as well.

Thanks for the pictures!

Azrial
July 23, 2008, 11:14
Well hopefully you just got the random bad one. I am hoping that mine is not flawed in that way as well.

Thanks for the pictures!

Azrial
July 23, 2008, 11:18

Thanks for the pictures!

RRotz
July 23, 2008, 22:41
ah, superglue is a man's 2nd best friend after duct tape.....

Azrial
July 24, 2008, 01:37
I KNOW that I did not post that 3 times! :rofl:

I wonder if it is related to today's problems?

RRotz
July 24, 2008, 02:11
hmmmmm, what do you think guys? structural defect? looks cast to me for sure. is it supposed to be made of an alloy material? could even be airsoft quality pot metal, ie zinc alloy.

powermad
July 24, 2008, 04:46
I don't think they are pot metal. :rolleyes:
Falcon uses surplus lowers and refinishes them.
Surplus means used. Out of all of them out there I am sure that some have not had caring owners.

The para does have one weakness and that is the pivot latch area.
So if it looks like ya may need to start swinging it you better close it first.

Mosin Guy
July 24, 2008, 10:50
the small piece that broke off is from the folder knuckle that attaches to the lower reciever, So it has nothing to do with the surplus lower that they use for there para kits,and the para folder knuckle is made out of T-6 aluminum ,Hope this helps

Jackrabbit
July 24, 2008, 13:49
Yes the lower is surplus, but the folders are new manufacture. It's definately cast aluminum. The pics don't show the porosity of it. It looks like broken concrete.

I just found out the DSA pieces are machined. I wish I would've spent the extra cash on one.

Anyways, I asked Jeff at Falcon to call me when he receives the broken folder so we can discuss it.
I'll keep everyone posted.

RRotz
July 24, 2008, 15:56
Originally posted by Jackrabbit
Yes the lower is surplus, but the folders are new manufacture. It's definately cast aluminum. The pics don't show the porosity of it. It looks like broken concrete.

I noticed the white, powdery look to it also...very porous material. I would compare the type of fracture to the Williams Arms aluminum FAL receiver.

panzer
July 24, 2008, 16:39
Had that happen to me as well. I called them, thesy sent a new one that day and I sent the old one back. Funny thing is, the box the new stock came in was addressed from Magnum Research. the IZZY importer people. Wierd. Its in the reviews section here.

RRotz
July 24, 2008, 16:55
Originally posted by panzer
Had that happen to me as well. I called them, thesy sent a new one that day and I sent the old one back. Funny thing is, the box the new stock came in was addressed from Magnum Research. the IZZY importer people. Wierd. Its in the reviews section here.

how is the new one holding up?

panzer
July 24, 2008, 16:58
New one is holding up well. I am notoriously hard on my gear and equipment. It has made it so far. When it cools down some I will be putting more rounds on it and see how it goes.

Edit to add.... Mine did not break exactly like that one did, and it seemed to be a very porus casting as well. It broke on the piece where the pivot pin is.

Jackrabbit
July 29, 2008, 12:00
I talked to Jeff at Falcon last night.
I asked him if this type of break was a common occurance and he said I was only the 2nd one to have this happen out of over 2000 sold.
He's sending me out a replacement tomorrow. So we'll see what happens.

Azrial
July 29, 2008, 13:58
Originally posted by Jackrabbit
I talked to Jeff at Falcon last night.
I asked him if this type of break was a common occurance and he said I was only the 2nd one to have this happen out of over 2000 sold.
He's sending me out a replacement tomorrow. So we'll see what happens.
Good to know, I have yet to mount my Falcon AK stock.

wolfdog45
July 30, 2008, 20:13
I received mine a couple say's ago. I'm glad it's not a common incident.