PDA

View Full Version : Barrel change on a S&W 29

Old Sarge
July 18, 2008, 02:06
Hi All
I pickedup a blued Smith 29 with an 8 3/4 barrel on it. I would like to have a 4 or 6" one put on it. Anyone know were I can get a barrel and who could do a good job of fitting it on the pistol?

Thanks
Old Sarge

Para Driver
July 18, 2008, 10:07
could be a DIY job?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=104432231

richbug
July 18, 2008, 14:44
Originally posted by Para Driver
could be a DIY job?

It is,

I have done an "L" frame, it wasn't rocket science. I used home made tools. Fit of a new factory barrel was perfect, just torqued it up till everything lined up where it was supposed to. Cylinder gap was fine when I got done.

Old Sarge
July 19, 2008, 00:44
Hi Guys
So if I was to twist it off and twist a new tube on. As long as the gap (cylinder to rear of the barrel) is good, it should be good to go?

If so that don't sound to hard.

Thanks
Old Sarge

richbug
July 19, 2008, 18:26
Originally posted by Old Sarge
Hi Guys
So if I was to twist it off and twist a new tube on. As long as the gap (cylinder to rear of the barrel) is good, it should be good to go?

Thanks
Old Sarge

yep, and if your gap it too tight, you just stone a bit off the face of the barrel. Too loose and you need a lathe.

owlcreekok
July 22, 2008, 10:26
Originally posted by Old Sarge
Hi Guys

Thanks
Old Sarge

Yeah, it's too hard to do. Shoot me an email and we'll meet up so's I can take that troublesome thing off yer hands.

:angel: It's the least I can do.

I was about to make one of those frame vises out of Acraglass gel for my SA Uberti, but I backed off. Seems the deal is that you can wrap the frame in saran wrap, rig up a "mold" and press the wrapped gun into the soft gel. Done just so, one can then remove the frame, repeat for the other side and you got a frame wrench. Honestly, I think I would rather just buy a wrench from Brownell's and be done with it. I might try to cobble a barrel vise, but I am afwaid of the other end.

win308
July 24, 2008, 15:53
I think I see s sprung frame in your future.................

dogngun
August 10, 2008, 10:04
Let S&W do it if you really like that .44 Mag.

mark

CactusCapt
August 10, 2008, 20:41
Let S&W do it if you really like that .44 Mag.

Absolutely. At the very least a 'smith who has experience with S&Ws. Discarding any cylinder gap issues, Smith frames are surprisingly delicate when it comes to twisting. Many have been ruined, and 29s, along with any other N-frames, are getting spendy.