PDA

View Full Version : FAL break-in

pass1over
July 16, 2008, 12:25
I ve read numerous posts and webpages and am no closer to a definite answer then I was before I started searching.

Is there a break-in procedure I should follow on my new DSA? I was going to give them a call and ask, but wanted your opinions as well.

Ive read, shoot once then clean for 3 rounds, then clean every 5 rounds after that to 50 total. Then i"ve read to not clean at all, just clean as normal after use and your all good.

What is your all opinions on barrel break-in on these guns? Is it necessary? If so, what regimen do you follow for such a procedure?

Ron Walker
July 16, 2008, 16:21
If your bbl is chrome-plated, I would fore-go convential wisdom about so many shots, clean, etc. These are Battle Rifles and as such they are designed to go directly into combat and firing one or hundreds of rounds first time out. It's a tough rifle, and it's not a match rifle, so don't baby it. Shoot it, clean when you're done and it'll stick with you, as long as you feed it good ammo. Ron

W.E.G.
July 16, 2008, 16:34
barrel break-in?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/AwJeezNotThisShitAgain-1.jpg

MAINER
July 16, 2008, 16:56
Lot of differing opinions on this subject, here's one;
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn_II.asp

An another from Gale McMillan no less:
http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html

And if you decide it's a worthy cause, this one makes sense to me;
http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/barrel-break-in.html

Most of my barrels have been shot all to pieces before I get them. New barrels is a problem I wish I had. :(

Go easy with that cleaning rod and by all means use a bore guide if you can find one for Fals. I use an old 308 case with the primer drilled out to accept a cleaning rod.

Maybe we can get Mountainman to cobble up some Fal guides?? :shades:

pass1over
July 16, 2008, 18:00
Originally posted by W.E.G.
barrel break-in?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/AwJeezNotThisShitAgain-1.jpg

ROFL ... awesome

Sorry man, had to ask. Dropped a nice piece of change on this and with all the differences in opinions out there on this, I wanted to hear from some FAL experts.

Ron ~ I had kinda planned on doing just that. Going to range this weekend and planning on sho0ting the hell out of it!

Mainer ~ I planned on searching for a bore guide. It's gun specific? Thanks for the info

Thanks for all the info so far guys, keep it comin if you got more. Sorry for being a newb.

W.E.G.
July 16, 2008, 20:22
I like to daisy-chain .357 brushes together and wrap them in cotton patches.

About 40 inches of daisy-chained bore-seasoning awesomeness should do.

Fire a shot.

Dunk the awesomeness-chain in a bucket of Ballistol, and pull it into the barrel so it has patches pressed to the barrel from end-to-end.

Let sit for 30 minutes between shots.

After firing 10 shots with conventional ammo this way, fire five more shots with black powder.

Allow the black-powder fouling to sit for 4 hours.
The black-powder fouling draws out any remaining impurities.

Then scrub well with a soap and ammonia solution.

This seasons the metal, and prepares it to receive pore-inundation from the powder you will use in your loads.

The process should be repeated if you change powders.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
July 16, 2008, 21:30
I'd just shoot and clean after every 20 rds or so.

My AR came with instructions on how to clean a match barrel (mine wasn't match) and that shit lasted about 11 rds until I wore a *gasp!* blister on my finger from pushing that Otis cleaning cable through the bore (does that count as WECSOG points?). Ever try pushing a rope? That's how this went. After that, I fired two or three mags through no problem and said "that's it!" My AK I fired one round, cleaned off the grease, and then fired whatever crap I could through it and only jammed it once (and cutting my finger on the safety several times and yes, blood was drawn). Worked great ever since, the both of them.

Otis kits only work one way and I'm no fan of the small patches for .22 bores. .243 and up is all right but "All-Caliber" is BS. Get a Boresnake and be happy.

English Mike
July 17, 2008, 01:08
You're a very bad man W.E.G. :rofl:

RRotz
July 17, 2008, 02:11
i see no value in breaking in a military or service grade barrel, i might take the time to break in a brand new sniper barrel...other then that it makes a negligible difference.

powermad
July 17, 2008, 04:39
I shot 140 rnds of Chilien ammo and a box of 74 Indian the first time out with mine.
Cleaned it when I got home.

Mine is an Imbel and not a new DSA but it was one of the Bocefus grade II kits. Looked to have never been shot, still had most of the finish too.

I clean it every 500 rounds or so. :beer:

indy_Muaddib
July 18, 2008, 11:48
clean a gun?

why would you want to do that for?

cleaning removes all the protective crud that firing the gun puts on it.

just look at ol' dirty.

Forrester
July 18, 2008, 13:56
point-shoot-repeat.

pass1over
July 19, 2008, 14:11
got optic mounted, going to put the first rounds through it today in a c ouple hours, cant wait.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/pass1over/FAL1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/pass1over/FAL2.jpg

W.E.G.
July 19, 2008, 14:46
brightened-up your pic a bit

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/trivia/pass1overpic.jpg

RRotz
July 19, 2008, 17:17
Originally posted by powermad
I shot 140 rnds of Chilien ammo and a box of 74 Indian the first time out with mine.
Cleaned it when I got home.

Mine is an Imbel and not a new DSA but it was one of the Bocefus grade II kits. Looked to have never been shot, still had most of the finish too.

I clean it every 500 rounds or so. :beer:

I'll never clean my FAL's. If ole dirty can run for 15,000 rounds, mine is only at 150. I will probably never clean it in my lifetime and my heirs will be instructed to never clean it either, lol srsly!

GM4spd
July 19, 2008, 17:20
barrel break-in?

This is my FIRST post--taken almost 2 weeks for the privilege but this
reply has me ROTFLMAO every time I have seen it. Oh by the way these are
-uckin battle rifles:rolleyes: what the heck is "break in time"? Sorry, don't
mean to dis the guy asking the original question:o I live in Ca,and
after many years I bought my clone FAL--10rds NON detach mag but at least
it LOOKS like the real deal!:biggrin: Pete

http://www.fototime.com/D0A66620E3547CA/standard.jpg

pass1over
July 20, 2008, 10:55
Had a very fun time yesterday. Put a 140 round BP of SA through it.

Had some problems along the way, but nothing major. Some FTF's, FTE's, had to grab the charging handle and slam the butt on the table ... fun stuff!!!

Near the end, I could tell it was getting better, I could go through a full mag without any hangups. Once, a shell got caught by the breech going back forward, it was 180 turned around, kinda cool.

It's now got some brass kisses on it, and they're staying there. :)

Seemed to operate best on gas setting 3 with this stuff. I've read most people use 4 or 5 for SA. Im guessing its still tight and will take more rounds to breakin and then I can gas it down some. But even on 3 I didnt think the recoil was bad.

I LOVE this gun! :fal: :fal:

IanMor
July 20, 2008, 19:37
Liberally apply grease to the inside of the receiver on the rails, and inside the bolt carrier, and bump a drum! Best break in ever. (I know there are no drums for FALs, so get a stack of 40 rounders)!

Thorgrimm_the_Vain
July 22, 2008, 17:17

After firing 10 shots with conventional ammo this way, fire five more shots with black powder.

Allow the black-powder fouling to sit for 4 hours.
The black-powder fouling draws out any remaining impurities.

Then scrub well with a soap and ammonia solution.

I have long held the belief that urine is a better solution for this stage, preferably urine generated from copious amounts of cheap rum and I skip the soap.

StarPD
July 28, 2008, 12:39
ALWAYS clean a new barrel thoroughly BEFORE shooting, including using brake cleaner as a last step to remove all cleaning solvent residue. (Oops, too late, you already fired your rifle).

For a chome lined barrel, clean as above first, then shoot 300 rounds of (non-corrosive) milsurp WITHOUT cleaning then clean. Barrel is then fully broken in .

For a non-chrome-lined barrel, depends on what you want/expect. If you have a match barrel and will compete, follow the fire one round, clean, repeat for 20 rounds, fire two rounds, clean , repeat for 20 rounds, continue repeating increasing the number of rounds fired for 20 round batches until you have 300 rounds through it routine. Not fun, and overkill for most uses. Otherwise, for most uses, non-chrome-lined barrels are okay with initial cleaning as noted above, then firing 50 rounds or so, and cleaning every 50 rounds until 300 rounds have been through the barrel, Barrel is adequately broken in.

Note that it's not unusual for some additional green fouling to appear on dry patches run through the bore several days after cleaning. It migrates out of the pores of the metal. A light re-cleaning usually takes care of that.

Also note that chrome lined bores should be finished with brake cleaner and left completely dry. Non-chrome lined barrels should have a VERY light film of CLP applied to the bore after cleaning to prevent rusting.

Don't forget to clean and lube all moving parts adequately. That stuff that coats most moving parts on a new gun isn't conducive to smooth operation and seating of mating surfaces. Moly grease is usually best, especially where finish appears to be wearing off, but only using VERY thin film. For especially tight guns, applying a little "jeweler's rouge" on moving parts and shooting can polish up mating surfaces, but needs to be completely and thoroughly removed with hot soapy water and well rinsed and dried with hair dryer, THEN coat with moly grease sparingly when finished. It should then be slicker than snot and smoother than a baby's bottom.

Infrequent cleaning does NOT mean not lubing.

Hint: If you don't clean the gas plug and port, and gas adjust nut regularly, don't be surprised if you can't get the gas adjusted or the gas plug removed one day. Gas piston is okay dirty until it starts to stick if you're lazy.

Also, don't forget to clean mags inside and out, using lube on follower and spring VERY sparingly.

With the exception of "Ol' Dirty", which may be a mutant extraterrestrial alien, MOST FALs run better if cleaned and lubed at least semi-regularly.

Ron Walker
July 28, 2008, 18:07
"I know there are no drums for FALs, so get a stack of 40 rounders)!"
No drums YET!! BetaMag is working on one. Last I heard it is due out in spring of next year, hopefully before Obama and his Mamas ban them. Ron