PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand synthetic stocks?

Heat
July 16, 2008, 00:53
Anyone make a synthetic stock for the M1 Garand?

ftierson
July 16, 2008, 01:30
Originally posted by Heat
Anyone make a synthetic stock for the M1 Garand?

Bell and Carlson does, Model C191-02, Carbelite...

Since I like synthetic stocks, I bought one...

After a couple of hours of fitting the barreled action and the trigger group to the stock, I finally decided that I really didn't like the really fat Carbelite stock and took it off and put the original wood back on...

It still has the wood on it and the Carbelite stock sits in a box...

Forrest

Mebsuta
July 16, 2008, 02:22
Well that answers something I have been wondering about for a long time. I will now remove teh Carbelite from list of things of interest.

There is a stock made by RamLine. It has a checkered grip which has a more sporter countour than original, but otherwise looks somewhat like a military stock. Should be around $70-80 or so from Midway and them. U can read the reviews there. I think Hebrew Battle Rifle used a RamLine at one time.

I considered assembling an M1 from spare parts and a Century receiver. Had that project gone ahead I would have used a RamLine.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
July 16, 2008, 22:00
Numrich has Ramlines (I think) for about $75. I kinda thought it would look cool with a scout rail rear handguard and Turner Saddlery AWS black sling. Don't think it comes with a butt trap but one could be WECSOG'd in along with some epoxy to give it some ass (heft). If my stock gives out I'll slap one on just to keep it going but I for one like the walnut better.

Azrial
July 17, 2008, 00:26
I was looking at a Ramline at the last gunshow. It looked like a decent serviceable stock. I wish that they would make one for the M1A.

hagar
July 17, 2008, 07:50
Putting a synthetic stock on an M1 should be punishable by a firing squad!:eek:

But they do look good with a laminated one.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
July 17, 2008, 13:31
Originally posted by hagar

+1. Saw a refinished SA in Ocala, FL with a Boyd's green/brown camo lam stock for $800 (no shit, wish I'd had the money!). You talk about a gorgeous rifle!

Rotor
July 17, 2008, 15:06
DPMS has some that are kind of a molded maroon fiberglass. I'm nor sure of the provenance but IIRC that are Korean.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=649&cat=1785

I have one that I am saving for some future tanker project. They seem like they may not be rigid enough to shoot slung up.

I have not seen much feedback on them from other shooters other than that they will sand and take AlumaHyde pretty well.

JR

Ssarge
July 17, 2008, 15:39
There were apparently some USG Garand synthetics made up for the Vietnam war.
They used to have them for sale in "Shotgun News" from Red Cloud LLC I think.

myrockfight
July 28, 2008, 13:57
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hagar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"+1. Saw a refinished SA in Ocala, FL with a Boyd's green/brown camo lam stock for $800 (no shit, wish I'd had the money!). You talk about a gorgeous rifle!

I'll third that! I just saw one this weekend at Bill Jackson's in Saint Petersburg. It never occurred to me that a Garand would look that good in a laminated stock. She was gorgeous. Mark, employee (super nice guy too), said it was the first one he has seen too. I just thought it was funny that someone else saw one recently also, as I have never seen one, ever!