PDA

View Full Version : Slow fire MAC

SteveW
July 13, 2008, 14:47
I remember reading a whole bunch of stuff in SAR about attaching an AR15 butt stock (with spring and buffer) to a MAC and modifying the bolt so that it operated the AR buffer/spring and slowed down the cyclic rate of fire.

Has anyone here built such a thing ?

I was wondering how it held up under use. It looked much more controllable.

Skilter
July 13, 2008, 18:05
Check out LAGE MFG.

they have one of the best... they are heavy, but they shoot great.

SteveW
July 13, 2008, 19:50
Looks like they added mass to the bolt and lengthened the upper to slow down the cycle rate.

I was wondering if anyone here had added the AR15 stock/buffer/spring mods to their MAC, and how that was working out.

I looked back in my copies of SAR, and the last discussion I saw was in July 06, Vol 9 No. 10, page 104.

pmf
July 14, 2008, 11:11
I think you're referring to the TASK slow fire modification. I believe its accomplished by drilling a hole in the back of your receiver and increasing the length the bolt guide travels. Never seen one.

What you need is a Lage slow fire upper. It's a bit expensive and there is a wait, but man is it nice.

dirtyrice
July 14, 2008, 17:30
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LHJMV7ExWt0

Here is a video of someone using the max 11 lage upper. Won't let me embed it.

SteveW
July 14, 2008, 20:18
Thanks for the youtube link..

> I think you're referring to the TASK slow fire modification. I believe its
> accomplished by drilling a hole in the back of your receiver and increasing
> the length the bolt guide travels.

Yes, that is exactly right. You remove the standard recoil spring/guide rod and drill and tap the back of the bolt and attach a new guide rod that you make yourself. An AR buttstock is attached to the rear of the receiver and a hole drilled through the back so that the new guide rod passes through it and activates the AR spring/buffer set up to absorb the recoil. The back of the bolt never touches the receiver again.. You can swap out the springs between rifle and carbine, change the weight of the buffer or drop in a hydraulic damper and change the cycle rate.

The standard cycle rate for a SWD M11 is 1250 rounds per minute. The slow fire M11 can be varied down to 450 rpm using different components.

Mad Dog 7.62
July 27, 2008, 13:07
I did the TASK conversion on my M11, and later bought the Lage slowfire upper. Both work well, but the Lage upper is a more elegant solution. You are correct about being able to mess with buffers and springs on the TASK to vary the cyclic rate. There is even a special rate reducing buffer made by AAC that you can use in it. All in all though, the Lage is worth the bucks and the wait.
MD

There may still be pics of my M11 in the images section...look for "Black Max".