PDA

View Full Version : Refurbing a class 3 gun

SteveW
July 08, 2008, 07:34
Is it legal for the owner to replace worn out parts on your own class 3 gun ? I.E. Barrels, springs, etc ?

Azrial
July 08, 2008, 08:50
Yes.

lhofeld
July 11, 2008, 16:30
Not only legal but it is advised to have a good stock of them.

indy_Muaddib
July 13, 2008, 15:56
an example is an M16.

you can change every part except the registered component, ie the lower receiver.

Azrial
July 15, 2008, 13:04
Originally posted by indy_Muaddib
an example is an M16.

you can change every part except the registered component, ie the lower receiver.

Or the sear, in a sear gun.

jaykden
July 15, 2008, 13:14
i don't know much about machine gun rules.

if you have a very worn out registered M16 receiver, can you send it off to a manufacturer, have them destroy it and have them build a new one with the same serial number? of course, letting the NFA branch know about it before hand.

is this legal?

Stranger
July 15, 2008, 14:48
Originally posted by jaykden
i don't know much about machine gun rules.

if you have a very worn out registered M16 receiver, can you send it off to a manufacturer, have them destroy it and have them build a new one with the same serial number? of course, letting the NFA branch know about it before hand.

is this legal?

Unfortunately, not any more. They changed the rules on replacement of damaged receivers. They did it to suppressors as well. If it is damaged the manufacturer can only repair it, and if it can't be repaired you are SOL.

indy_Muaddib
July 15, 2008, 15:41
Originally posted by Azrial

Or the sear, in a sear gun.

yea which ever part is listed on your form 4.

you can change everything but that.

Lee Carpentieri
July 27, 2008, 22:37
jaykden, If you feel your M16 reciever is worn out, Its usually the trigger , hammer and sear holes which can be welded back up and redrilled by any compentent Gunsmith/ manufacture. John Norrel does this all the time.

stimpsonjcat
July 31, 2008, 15:45
I see this asked about M16 receivers a lot.

Would it be possible to mod the chip mccormick all-in-one trigger packs to run FA?

This might save the wear on the receiver holes.

Azrial
July 31, 2008, 23:26
Originally posted by stimpsonjcat
I see this asked about M16 receivers a lot.

Would it be possible to mod the chip mccormick all-in-one trigger packs to run FA?

This might save the wear on the receiver holes.
That would be an interesting idea! I have never seen the McCormick Trigger pack in real life.

SteveW
August 01, 2008, 07:35
I went to MidwayUSA to buy one of those Mccormick trigger packs a little while ago. They still had them listed but an inventory of 0.
Note on the page said 'withdrawn by manufacturer'.

They are no longer listed there.

lhofeld
August 01, 2008, 09:23
When I bought my preban AR it had one of the best trigger pulls I had ever seen in a martial type arm. The selector broke and when I went to replace it I found that the internals were M-16. So I purchased a new AR hammer and trigger and chunked the M-16 parts. The trigger pull has sucked since. Someone who knows what they are doing can do very good trigger jobs on stock fire control components.

superjc
August 01, 2008, 20:19
Yeah but can you imagine your $10,000 piece of metal snapping into 2 useless pieces of scrap metal in a nanosecond? Ouch. I bet some guys would get a machinist to "clone" the part.

gunplumber
August 01, 2008, 20:35
Originally posted by Lee Carpentieri
jaykden, If you feel your M16 reciever is worn out, Its usually the trigger , hammer and sear holes which can be welded back up and redrilled by any compentent Gunsmith/ manufacture. John Norrel does this all the time.

I consider myself a competent gunsmith and a pretty good TiG welder, but wouldn't touch an M16 receiver. That kind of aluminum welding is not simple to weld. Inert environment - I'd be looking for an aerospace welding shop.

perryturner
August 02, 2008, 07:46
Originally posted by Lee Carpentieri
jaykden, If you feel your M16 reciever is worn out, Its usually the trigger , hammer and sear holes which can be welded back up and redrilled by any compentent Gunsmith/ manufacture. John Norrel does this all the time. Are you sure he still does? I thought I'd read on subguns some time ago that he'd stopped.

justashooter
August 02, 2008, 12:29
Originally posted by gunplumber

I consider myself a competent gunsmith and a pretty good TiG welder, but wouldn't touch an M16 receiver. That kind of aluminum welding is not simple to weld. Inert environment - I'd be looking for an aerospace welding shop.

T6061 aluminum (most AR lowers) can be welded quite easily with a filler wire of same name and argon sheilding. if you are worried about the lack of gas on back side, just add a ceramic backer and set your gas to preflow for 3-5 seconds. be sure to countersink a bit to get sound weld metal fusion all the way down the bore. the ceramic backer will limit melt thru. i would think that anybody could weld this up and re-drill in the presence of the owner. not sure about the rules of gunsmithing for NFA items which the owner leaves for service, but imagine it is covered in your book.

rocko
August 04, 2008, 12:08
Originally posted by justashooter

T6061 aluminum (most AR lowers) can be welded quite easily with a filler wire of same name and argon sheilding. if you are worried about the lack of gas on back side, just add a ceramic backer and set your gas to preflow for 3-5 seconds. be sure to countersink a bit to get sound weld metal fusion all the way down the bore. the ceramic backer will limit melt thru. i would think that anybody could weld this up and re-drill in the presence of the owner. not sure about the rules of gunsmithing for NFA items which the owner leaves for service, but imagine it is covered in your book.

I suspect most might not want to touch something like this for liability reasons. Potential profit to be made probably isn't worth the risk if trashing a $9-$10k receiver.

caeb75
August 09, 2008, 10:24
KNS pins are awesome for eliminating the pin hole wear in AR's and M-16's
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=763412&t=11082005

You can even get oversized pins for worn trigger pin holes
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=954959&t=11082005

ALL of my AR's have them without exception!!!

Skilter
August 30, 2008, 18:47
Originally posted by lhofeld
When I bought my preban AR it had one of the best trigger pulls I had ever seen in a martial type arm. The selector broke and when I went to replace it I found that the internals were M-16. So I purchased a new AR hammer and trigger and chunked the M-16 parts. The trigger pull has sucked since. Someone who knows what they are doing can do very good trigger jobs on stock fire control components.

Most likely this was due to the wear in and mating of the trigger to the rest of the parts. I had the same thing happen to me on a FrankenFal I bought cheap. It had one of the most crisp breaks of any FAL I had ever shot. I figured out the previous owner did not pay much attention to 922r regulations and just used the original HTS when he did his build. I had to pull them to get my 6 us parts. Needless to say, that great crisp trigger pull went away too.

It is very similar to Glocks. They just don't get a good crisp trigger break until you run about 200 rounds through them.