PDA

View Full Version : wtk: FAL para FA reliability?

kaiserworks
July 06, 2008, 14:46
If a pre 86 FAL receiver with sear cut were to be rebuilt in a para configuration, will the standard para recoil springs hold up to FA fire? What about with a DSA scope rail para dust cover? Visually the 3 springs and guide rod seem flimsy but I doubt FN would have fielded something unreliable on the original para's. On the other hand, I know some FAL military rifles were semi only. Any insight would be appreciated prior to this project. Thanks -Greg

W.E.G.
July 06, 2008, 14:53
If it failed, I don't think it would hurt the receiver any.

Chances are, recoil would be quite amusing in such a rifle.
I doubt it would be fired enough to really torture it anyway.

Why not give it a try?

Seems to me, the worst thing that would happen is you'd bugger a top cover or the little dingus-tube that joins the two inner recoil springs.

AlaskanMBR
July 06, 2008, 16:51
I've shot a DSA para OSW w/ 11" barrel in auto, worked fine when I shot it. The recoil doesn't seem as bad as the 18" FAL in auto. Firing bursts only, of course...

kaiserworks
July 06, 2008, 22:59
Thanks guys.

Lee Carpentieri
July 27, 2008, 23:09
Greg, I own a transferable F/A para that DSA built using a Lafrance type three reciever into a OSW 11 barreled configuration using the new DSA extreme duty extented scope mount with the detachable recoil rod. Fired about 8000 rounds to date without so much as a hicup at all. Cycle rate with the short gas system and 11 inch barrel is around 975 RPM on the chronograph. Four taps of the trigger with a fully loaded twenty round mag and the mag is empty, I get about 5 to 6 taps of the trigger with a thirty round mag. I did have DSA adapt/sleeve into a DSA pivot block a Galil Arm folder with the rubber recoil pad built into the butt pad area to help reduce recoil on my shoulder and it works great at doing this.

rcnpthfndr
July 28, 2008, 06:47
i have a video of me shooting one full auto in iraq, i will post it if i can find it. that being said, it ran like a champ for the year i used it

perryturner
July 28, 2008, 06:54
Adjustable gas system.