PDA

View Full Version : CLEO Signature?

FC-BEAVERS
July 06, 2008, 13:39
I know that the sherrif is an accepted signature when filling out a Form 1 but are there other accepted authorities? Such as a Justice of the Peace or a Judge? Thanks

partisan50
July 07, 2008, 08:11
Depending on where you are, any law enforcment or person capable of performing a back ground check can do the sign off. Just remind them that they are certifying that you are legally able to own a firearm and that it's legal in your state and jurisdiction.

Sheriff
Magistrate
State police
Local Police
Judge
District Attorney

perryturner
July 07, 2008, 20:09
If you want to play NFA, James Bardwell's "FAQ ON NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT WEAPONS" <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt> can be very helpful. For instance -

GETTING THE LAW ENFORCEMENT CERTIFICATION

As noted above one administratively imposed requirement for an
NFA transfer to an individual is a certification from a chief law
enforcement officer with jurisdiction over where you reside. This
(and the cost of the gun) is what usually keep interested, and
otherwise qualified, persons from obtaining one. This process is
what the law and ATF regulations contemplate as the way to get a
signoff, if you need one.

Step 1: You ask the following persons if they would sign; the
local chief of police (if any), the local sheriff, the local
district (prosecuting) attorney, the chief of the state police, and
the state Attorney General. The CLEO can delegate the signing
duty, for his convenience, if he wishes. Ask that they refuse in
writing, if that is what they will do. You may be surprised, one
might sign. That list of persons comes from 27 CFR sec. 179.85,
which is the regulation that created the law enforcement
certification requirement for Form 4's. 27 CFR sec. 179.63 is the
companion regulation for Form 1's. The rquirement is NOT in any
statute passed by Congress. Although not listed, and ATF will NOT
designate federal officials as also acceptable (see below) other
persons whose certification has been acceptable in the past
include; local U.S. Attorney's, local federal judges, local U.S.
Marshals, and local supervising F.B.I. agents. Other local
federal law enforcement agents might also work.

partisan50
July 08, 2008, 07:33
Sorry action yobbo, all the ones I listed have signed for various individuals and were accepted by the ATF (At least in P.A.). Most do not want to be bothered and push you off to the Sheriff.

Azrial
July 08, 2008, 08:55
Originally posted by partisan50
Sorry action yobbo, all the ones I listed have signed for various individuals and were accepted by the ATF (At least in P.A.). Most do not want to be bothered and push you off to the Sheriff.
Then the BATF assumed that you signed as a delegate of the CLEO.

perryturner
July 08, 2008, 19:13
the local chief of police (if any), the local sheriff, the local district (prosecuting) attorney, the chief of the state police, and the state Attorney General are all Chief Law Enforcement Officers. Any one of these can sign, or they can delegate it to some one under their command.

diana-ar15
July 09, 2008, 21:39
a prosecutor, judge, official with power of arrest will also qualify

USMC 0341
July 09, 2008, 22:49
All three of mine (in AZ) were signed by the State Attorney General.

Stranger
July 10, 2008, 08:40
Originally posted by Azrial

Then the BATF assumed that you signed as a delegate of the CLEO.

What? :?

Azrial
July 10, 2008, 12:03
Originally posted by Stranger What? :?
Line officers are not a proper official to be signing these forms without being a delegate of the CLEO.

Stranger
July 10, 2008, 12:15
Originally posted by Azrial

Line officers are not a proper official to be signing these forms without being a delegate of the CLEO.

I understood that. I didn't understand the "you" part of it. Is p50 a rank and file officer?

Azrial
July 10, 2008, 12:22
Originally posted by Stranger
I understood that. I didn't understand the "you" part of it. Is p50 a rank and file officer?
That was my understanding. I have been waiting on him to respond otherwise. If he is a CLEO, I do not understand his statement.

partisan50
July 11, 2008, 17:56
No, I am not a CLEO, LEO or line officer.

Azrial and stranger, both of you need to re-read my posts and perryturner's, they should be clear enough.

Perryturner, diana-ar15, and USMC 0341 seem to be the only ones on track with this discussion..

Azrial
July 11, 2008, 22:36
No, I am not a CLEO, LEO or line officer.

Azrial and stranger, both of you need to re-read my posts and perryturner's, they should be clear enough.

Perryturner, diana-ar15, and USMC 0341 seem to be the only ones on track with this discussion..
Well I may be with Stranger on this one...

I am plenty on track. Your profile lists you as a full time student. You state that you are not law enforcement.

If you are not a the local district (prosecuting) attorney, the state Attorney General, a U.S. Attorney, or a federal judge, you cannot legally sign.

The law says nothing about any "person capable of performing a back ground check," as you suggest.

If you are signing under what you believe to be a special exception please illuminate us all. I am sure that it will be helpful to many. But there is nothing in your posts that suggests that you are qualified to sign.

There is nothing complicated about this, either you can legally sign or you can't.

Ricketts
July 12, 2008, 15:33
Your coroner can sign too.

partisan50
July 12, 2008, 19:03
Hey azrial are you retarded or something, read both of my posts below...again and tell me where it says that I was the person signing on the forms.

Was it my imagination that the local county Sheriff, local Magistrate, local State police, local Police chief, county Judge, and District Attorney signed NFA Forms for known individuals?

ONCE MORE, any of the officials/chiefs/ law enforcement listed below can do the required background check and SIGN THE FORMS.

BTW I have not updated my profile in quite a few years, heck I received my degrees and certification a couple of years ago. And ONCE AGAIN for the hearing impared I am not law enforcement and I never signed ATF NFA forms. As a matter of fact this will be my last post on this thread because of the massive confusion on a relatively routine issue.

"Sorry action yobbo, all the ones I listed have signed for various individuals and were accepted by the ATF (At least in P.A.). Most do not want to be bothered and push you off to the Sheriff."

"Depending on where you are, any law enforcment or person capable of performing a back ground check can do the sign off. Just remind them that they are certifying that you are legally able to own a firearm and that it's legal in your state and jurisdiction.

Sheriff
Magistrate
State police
Local Police
Judge
District Attorney"

Azrial
July 12, 2008, 23:39
Hey azrial are you retarded or something, read both of my posts below...again and tell me where it says that I was the person signing on the forms...
Perhaps I am, I did read your statement as you had signed them.

No problem, but if you have no interest in trying to clear up confusion, why bother to post?

However you are still wrong when you say, "Depending on where you are, any law enforcement or person capable of performing a back ground check can do the sign off."

Any law enforcement officer can do a NCIC Criminal History Check, but the person doing the certification must be a CLEO of the jurisdiction where you live.

The law says nothing about anyone that can do a "back ground" [sic] can make the certification as you claim.