PDA

View Full Version : DSA FAL Newbie Questions

Zhivago
July 02, 2008, 08:49
Greetings everyone, I'm new here as far as posting but I've been lurking in the wings for a while now. I'm seriously considering buying a DSA FAL but I've got some questions I'm hoping you all can help me out with.

1) Is the 1" rubber buttplate extender removeable? How is it added/removed?

2) Is the flash hider removeable? What is the thread pattern on the barrel if it is?

3) What is the "Match Set Trigger" option? Is it actually worth the $175? How does the stock trigger compare? Is this simply upgrading from a 1 stage to 2 stage trigger? What is the trigger pull like on the match trigger and standard trigger?

4) How are the stock iron sights? Are they removeable/replaceable?

5) Is the duracoat worth it? How does the black annodized finish hold up in comparison?

6) What parts most commonly need to be replaced? Is there a spare parts kit available somewhere?

7) Any complaints to be had about the rail interface handguard they offer?

8) I am leaning towards a medium contour SA58 instead of the standard for the heavier barrelÖany thoughts on this? Is there any real difference in accuracy with a medium contour vs standard barrel? Wouldnít the medium contour necessitate a rail interface handguard due to the lack of a bipod cut barrel in order to mount a bipod?

9) Iím looking at the precision rifle stock as well...anyone have experience with this? Other options are the stock it comes with or the X-Series skeleton stock though Iím leaning toward the precision stock as this will be more of a bench rifle compared with a more tactical setup Iím considering on a model with a shorter barrel.

10) Any opinions on the ERGO FAL HK Style pistol grip vs the FN SAW Pistol Grip as an upgrade? Mostly wondering if one of these is better suited to large hands.

11) Anyone have experience using a silencer with a FAL? Any issues with the gas system when the silencer is on?

On a side noteÖIím also looking at either a SA58 carbine or tactical carbine. What are the pros/cons of the shortened gas system on the tactical carbine? Any big differences with the fluted tactical barrel of the tactical vs the standard barrel?

As someone with no FAL experience, but interested in adding one and maybe two to my stable, I appreciate being able to come to these forums as a resource. Hopefully most of my questions arenít TOO stupid. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron Walker
July 02, 2008, 12:28
Zhivago, all the questions you ask require a pretty lengthy dissertation in total. You might try moving to the gunsmithing page and ask 2 or 3 a time, and get better response. I will say the FAL is an excellent weapon, and DSA makes pretty good ones, and suppressors have been used on them, but doubt any on this forum have practical experience in that area. Most of the rest of your questions fall under personal preference. Ron

cart
July 02, 2008, 12:35
Originally posted by Zhivago
. Hopefully most of my questions arenít TOO stupid. Thanks in advance for your help.

It's probably more like we're too stupid to answer your questions is why there's no replies :tongue:

2) Yes, unless your rifle was assembled during the bad ban days and it's silver soldered on... even then it's removable given enough heat!

3) Match triggers are always worth it if you like to pinpoint your shots. I'm probably going to take a heap of shite over this, but if you're looking to really get sub MOA accuracy out of your FAL, it's probably not going to happen. Not to say they can't be accurate, but if you want to really drop holes together, think M1A, better yet AR10, or best; Bolt gun.

4) The stock iron sights are adequate. They're battle rifle sights, nothing more. The rifle was not designed as a sniper designated rifle.

5) I'm not really that impressed with duracoat as everyone else. I've had it scratch right off when removing the gas knob spring and catching an edge of it. Likewise a tool slip. I like park better, but that's just me.

7) If you want to hang do-dads on your rifle, by all means, the rail is the way to go. Keep in mind they are heavier and sharper than standard handguards. They can be uncomfortable in quick adjustment positions as the edges bite unless you cover them with rails.

8) Heavy barrels really are heavy. You will notice a significant difference between the weight between a standard and a heavy. A standard and an 18, not so much the weight, but you will notice the manuverability. They are quicker to bring to bear.

nwobhm
July 02, 2008, 14:00
Originally posted by Zhivago

1) Is the 1" rubber buttplate extender removeable? How is it added/removed?

Never had any experience with one.

2) Is the flash hider removeable? What is the thread pattern on the barrel if it is?

Yes, depends on which FH you order it with.

3) What is the "Match Set Trigger" option? Is it actually worth the $175? How does the stock trigger compare? Is this simply upgrading from a 1 stage to 2 stage trigger? What is the trigger pull like on the match trigger and standard trigger?

Do you mean "Speed Trigger"? It's awesome.

4) How are the stock iron sights? Are they removeable/replaceable?

I like them.

5) Is the duracoat worth it? How does the black annodized finish hold up in comparison?

No, but I love it. Park w/anno is fine if trying to save money.

6) What parts most commonly need to be replaced? Is there a spare parts kit available somewhere?

Basically nothing, maybe a firing pin, regulator.

7) Any complaints to be had about the rail interface handguard they offer?

I think they suck. Overpriced too.

8) I am leaning towards a medium contour SA58 instead of the standard for the heavier barrelÖany thoughts on this? Is there any real difference in accuracy with a medium contour vs standard barrel? Wouldnít the medium contour necessitate a rail interface handguard due to the lack of a bipod cut barrel in order to mount a bipod?

Think resale. No one is very interested in mediun contour. Accuracy isn't going to be much better if any at all.

9) Iím looking at the precision rifle stock as well...anyone have experience with this? Other options are the stock it comes with or the X-Series skeleton stock though Iím leaning toward the precision stock as this will be more of a bench rifle compared with a more tactical setup Iím considering on a model with a shorter barrel.

You are considering a 16" target rifle? I would go one way or the other. Either 21" target style or 16" tactical. Again, think resale.

10) Any opinions on the ERGO FAL HK Style pistol grip vs the FN SAW Pistol Grip as an upgrade? Mostly wondering if one of these is better suited to large hands.

I like the std FAL grip.

11) Anyone have experience using a silencer with a FAL?

No.

12) On a side noteÖIím also looking at either a SA58 carbine or tactical carbine. What are the pros/cons of the shortened gas system on the tactical carbine? Any big differences with the fluted tactical barrel of the tactical vs the standard barrel?

Short gas is a little lighter/more handy and has a shorter sight radius. Both work fine.

J. Armstrong
July 02, 2008, 15:19
1) Extender - never had one but I imagine it is simply held on by the retaining screw in its center like any other pad.
2) FH - should be 9/16x24 LEFT hand.
3,4, 7,8,9,10) Keep in mind that the FAL is probably the greatest BATTLE rifle ever designed, that being said, the design has some very real limitations in the "precision rifle" category. As mentioned, they can be very accurate, but realistically you should expect 3 moa. You can spend lots of $$ and get results ranging from no improvement at all to ( less frequently ) very good.
5) I'm not impressed by duracoat much. Park is more than adequate for most climates, if you have a real concern, Metacol would be among the best - Gunplumber here does it, although I think it is pretty pricy, it is good stuff and Mark has a great rep.
6) Lotsa threads on spares, a search will dig up lots of opinions. I would say at least the firing pin, spring and retaining pin, extractor assembly, and gas regulator. I have a morbid nightmare of the gas plug being dropped in the grass during impromptu cleaning, never to be seen again, so I carry on of them too.
11) No experience.
12) Many folks like the 16"ers, I don't. Even with an aluminum lower I don't prefer the feel and hadling, nor do I totally trust the short gas system - purely subjective based on very little range time with one. Personal ideal is 18" standard weight/gas barrel, small FH such as Moses' Hurricane or Venezuelan clone or a shorty Stoll device, aluminum lower. JMHO :D

Some searching should pull up a lot of the info you seek as most are not new questions.

W.E.G.
July 02, 2008, 15:29
My thoughts on the "ERGO" FAL grip? >>>>>>>>> Ergh!

Durakote it to shoot it off the bench?..... Why?

tuck0411
July 02, 2008, 16:03
Thread about short gas vs. standard length (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234588)

I'm still planning to go with short gas for my para.

As for Duracoat or not, I've not had it on any of my rifles, but I do have Metacol on my STG-58 and like it. Doesn't seem to scratch very easy.

Fleabus
July 02, 2008, 16:18
SA 58 Carbine with/
Hampton aluminum lower with A2 sights
speed trigger option
picatinny top cover
saw grip if you like

Excellent piece of work. Great working combination...

Huskytaio
July 02, 2008, 21:15
I bought the DSA Congo with 18" barrel, sans duracoat. Shot the crap out of it with nothing but perfect results, and then had it refinished by CCR. I have their finish on 3 of my Sigs, and it is incredibly durable. I have heard of some DSAs with Duracoats having the finish flake off where the brass ejects/brass kisses.

J. Armstrong
July 02, 2008, 21:55
Gunplumber has some pithy ( as usual :biggrin: ) comments about Duracoat - his comments are borne out by my admittedly limited experience ( 2 rifles, self aplied, albeit with scrupulous adherance to the instructions ).

Zhivago
July 04, 2008, 09:15
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm gradually narrowing down what I want.

One more question: In a few reviews I've read of DSA FALs, they mention an integral muzzle break (machined into the barrel, not attached on the end). Why cant I find any mention of this on the DSA Site?

J. Armstrong
July 04, 2008, 11:15
Because muzzle brakes on a FAL are an abomination and the ghost of Saive would smite them if they admitted to it ;) :devil:

Couldn't resist, but can't answer the question. Give 'em a call or post the question in the DSA forum where John will disclose the truth !

101ABN327
July 04, 2008, 12:43
I would assemble parts from members here, buy a DSA receiver and build, or have built the rifle you want.

DSA rifles are WAY overpriced! I don't care how good they say their builders are... My .2

Zhivago
July 04, 2008, 15:29
Originally posted by 101ABN327
I would assemble parts from members here, buy a DSA receiver and build, or have built the rifle you want.

DSA rifles are WAY overpriced! I don't care how good they say their builders are... My .2

The way I see it, you pay a premium price for a premium product. You get what you pay for in terms of quality, warranty, service, and resale value. That's how I look at it anyway and in this case it's worth it to me to have that guarantee.

101ABN327
July 04, 2008, 15:40
Building FALs isn't rocket science. A little study, tools and desire is all it takes. There are many people on the files that are professional builders. I would stack any of the 2 dozen FALs in my vault against anything DSA makes. I build all of my own and have built an equal amount for my friends. They make a great receiver but aside from that their parts don't impress me that much.

But. it's your money...

J. Armstrong
July 04, 2008, 17:58
101 makes a good point - and I can tell ya he has built some fine looking Rhodies - but the resale value factor does have some merit.

Early on I would have agreed with you - in fact my first was a Belgian 50.00 which I will NEVER sell - but after thatmine are either self built ( some with pro assistance or "subcontracting" :D ) or collectables, and I would agree with 101 that I,d put them up against most DSAs ( which I do like, for the record ). That said, by the time I get the dang things just the way I want them, they aren't much, if at all, cheaper than the DSAs. I also admit to the "thrill of the chase" finding just the right goodies !

I can understand your going DSA for your firse, however, your NEXT 20 or so will HAVE to be builds or else :biggrin:

nwobhm
July 05, 2008, 18:17
Originally posted by 101ABN327

Do you have a line on great deals that others are unaware of?

STG Kit $450
DSA Upper $450
922r $100minimum
Assembly tools $100

For a total of $1,100

OR

Imbel kit $250
Refinish kit $50
DSA Upper $450
922r $100minimum
Assembly tools $100

For a total of $950

OR

Imbel kit $250
Refinish kit $50
DSA Upper $450
922r $100minimum
Pay someone to build it $75

For a total of $925

Any base model (21", 18" & 16") factory assembled STG can be had direct for under $1,000 and will come with a 1 yr warranty on used parts/ lifetime on new parts(receiver). Looks to me like you can save no more than $50 and end up with NO WARRANTY. Also keep in mind that DSA offers the service of calling with a serial # to confirm build date and options. That tends to be a great selling point if you ever decide you want to sell it.