PDA

View Full Version : shoots low

cbr954fz1
June 29, 2008, 13:38
has anyone come across a problem where you have to dial your sight all the way down and have to file the sight just to come close to where your shooting at 100yds? i can hit the bullseye but it the sight has to cover the target. the sight is a#2or 2 dots on it. how did you fix the problem? to keep filing the sight down as gpg suggested, but that doesnt seem right. dunk suggested that the rear latch might not be closing and locking completely, so i filed that but that wasnt it. thanks ahead for your help...cbr:sad:

Ron Walker
June 29, 2008, 15:04
The first question I would ask is if your rear sight matches the barrel you have. for example if you have a L1A1 bbl and a metric rear sight, they are mismatched, or an open eared Argentine bbl with a regular metric rear, you will have zeroing problems. If you have 2 dots on your front sight, that would indicate a metric type, and I believe 1 dot is shortest, 2 a bit higher, 3 and so on, I'm not sure if it goes to 4 or 5. There is a mathematical formula for determining proper sight size, but I don't recall it. One of the more schooled technicians may know it, or you can probably find it some where in this forum. Ron

Goliad
June 29, 2008, 17:04
Good info from Ron. You might get more responses by posting on th "Gunsmithing& buid it yourself" forum. Not all of the old timers frequent this forum.

cbr954fz1
June 29, 2008, 17:31
but to answer the qyestion, yes its a metric open ear front and metric rear. its a brand new built century r1a1(i know, i know its a century but it can be fixed) i sent it back already for ftf and they ended up putting a new barrel on it, dont know? well it kinda feeds so i gallillee the rails and its better but the sights are my next prob. and i dont want to send it back again :sad: i hope its not a timeing issue?..cbr

Mosin Guy
June 29, 2008, 23:37
If you have the Open Eared gas block as you posted you did,your going to need a Taller rear sight assembly than the standard Metric rear sight,Taller as in a Isreali rear sight or just change out your rear sight apeture for a Isreali rear apeture http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=110A http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=106A

Kyrottimus
June 30, 2008, 13:43
My 18" bbl was doing the same thing. I bottomed down the sight all the way, then brought it up 5 clicks. Then I zeroed it as best as I could at 100 yards by filing it down a small amount every 5 shots, until it actually wound up shooting 3" high.

Now I still have some leeway to adjust the front sight, if needed. The post is thicker than I would like, but it shoots true, and I just dabbed some 44/40 cold blue on it and that sealed up the filed area.

Sounds "wrong", I know, but when you're dealing with FrankenFAL's with parts from all over the world, it's tough to get "factory dope" on the sights.

cbr954fz1
June 30, 2008, 17:47
thanks mosin i like your idea , and its a better fix. i have been filing the front sight, but changing the rear sight sounds better, thanks again falahollics...cbr :smile:

Speedbump
July 05, 2008, 19:51
Yes! I have that problem with my Century Arms L1A1, but I think I know what the problem is. Some had used what looks like JB Weld to afix a flashhider on it. In fact I'm going to have to cut and re crown the barrel or find a new inch one for it. If you have a flashhider on your rifle, look close because you may have the same problem I have.:uhoh: :eek:

cbr954fz1
July 05, 2008, 22:18
no mine has the original metric muzzle on it and it must be soldered on cause i cant budge it...cbr