PDA

View Full Version : Ever see an Imbel receiver that

cart
June 27, 2008, 08:28
...was marked on the bottom? Neck where the receiver mates to the barrel?

Maybe I just haven't looked at enough Imbel receivers for long enough with scrutiny, but I've never noticed one before.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj135/arexarex/pix602317234.jpg

vmtz
June 27, 2008, 09:35
Home stamped.

Fr. Vince

hagar
June 27, 2008, 10:37
Yes! Marked HAGAR001 and HAGAR002. But they didn't come that way, my builder stamped it there.

skeeterbay
June 27, 2008, 12:12
I have seen a Springfield Izzy HB marked like that. But the word Imbel was turned sideways and all the letters in the word were in line with each other.

Skeeter!

prosecond
June 27, 2008, 12:43
I have a SAR48 marked Imbel there.

cart
June 27, 2008, 13:09
Originally posted by prosecond
I have a SAR48 marked Imbel there.

curious what the markings on the side of the receiver say. Are they springfields only (with made in Brazil?) or Imbel as well?

skeeterbay
June 27, 2008, 15:40
Cart:

I did own one but my memory is not what it should be. So after checking with the guy who has the rifle. I stand corrected as the markings are a bit different than I had remembered. Seems the under side of the reciever like in your photo above is marked in three lines as follows:

Imbel,
Itajuba
Brazil

The right side of the reciever just behind the locking shoulder is marked Springfield Armory Geneseo IL USA the right side mag well has the Springfield Armory logo and is marked sa 48 match

The left side of the reciever is marked SAR - 48 below that is marked 7.62mm and the S/N.

Hope this helps.

Skeeter!

gunplumber
June 27, 2008, 16:17
I also converted a numder of NGL IMbel IIIs to inch and Type 1s. Marked them there "IMBEL BRAZIL" and "ARS REPLICA" since they were pretty accurate "reproductions" and I didn't want them considered "forgeries".

cart
June 27, 2008, 17:38
This receiver strangely is only marked just there "Imbel" and then a serial on the outer magwell. No other markings on receiver. Weird to me. Any of you think this is an actual Imbel, or ? I thought maybe an early example of the receivers, now I'm thinking low dollar forgery?

gunplumber
June 27, 2008, 18:25
Someone could have wiped it to remove CAI marks - No federal law against removing the manufacturing marks.

Whats the serial number? That will give some hint.

Are there letter stamps on the inside rear or underside rear of the receiver around the locking lug area? IMBEL usually has2-letter batch marks there. Their presence suggests Imbel, although their absence does not preclude IMBEL.

While it could be an offbrand someone is trying to pass as an IMBEL, that is not necessarily so.

skeeterbay
June 27, 2008, 18:28
Cart; I guess I don't know what to say. Maybe Vince is right. I would think if anyone would have known, it would be Gunplumber. Being he has seen so many different receivers.

Skeeter!

moses
June 28, 2008, 05:10
Is it just my eyes or does that receiver not look like it has a type 1 cut on the front right side?

L/FN
June 29, 2008, 03:31
More pics of the receiver machining and of a partial serial # to determine an exact location and stamp style would help.

Larry