PDA

View Full Version : Bent Op Rod

StoneyCreekMrMauser
June 25, 2008, 13:02
Well, I finally got to check my M1's op rod in good light today and the damn thing's bent. Aside from aesthetics and the corrosion from years of powder fouling that never got scraped off (fixed that) there is no functional problem. My question is, when do I need to worry about replacing this rod? I'd been planning on picking up another rod or two for parts but is it something (based on functionality, not HR1022) that I should go ahead with? Think I saw some on Numrich for $95. Thoughts?

My guess is somebody was shooting hot or heavy loads thru her. Thank God for dental picks...

Ssarge
June 25, 2008, 14:44
Garand op rods should have a slight bit of bend in them. If it works without binding, until the tab wears down I wouldn't worry too much.
Have you tried the op rod tilt test? (remove the recoil spring and tilt the rifle about 30 degrees. It should run back and forth smoothly)

StoneyCreekMrMauser
June 25, 2008, 16:31
Just gave that a try Ssarge. Worked just fine, thanx. My brother in law also told me his M1 he was issued while a Coastie-in-training had an op rod like a snake but worked fine (for drills, I suppose). I was planning on buying some spares anyway for down the road and I don't guess it'd hurt to do so sometime here soon. The original though can wait for a while before replacement, although a thorough scouring with a Dremel Scotch-Brite is in order.

Thanks again, Ssarge! I'll have to post some pix of this beast soon.

Ssarge
June 25, 2008, 18:18
Before using the scotch brite, let it soak in a good solvent or even BreakFree. When the carbon soaks over night even it's much easier to get off with just a tooth brush.
I love Garands, just wish I hadn't sold my collection of ten. All in excellent to as new. :cry:

StoneyCreekMrMauser
June 27, 2008, 14:47
Ouch! That sux. I'm hopin' to keep mine around for a LOOOOOONG time and (hopefully) add a few more. M14s are a hope too, but gotta wait on the $$$.

Ssarge
June 27, 2008, 18:45
I went to the M1A because of the lower recoil. I love shooting the Garand, but my really, really bad shoulder complains! :sad:

StoneyCreekMrMauser
June 28, 2008, 15:25
Know what you mean. Workin' on gettin' one of those and a bad back to go with it!:(

Swampy
July 02, 2008, 08:26
Stoney Creek,

Some of the confusion about M1 op-rods arises in nomenclature.... An M1 rod that is correctly dimensioned is most definitely NOT "straight". It has two intentional bends in the tube.... but in M1 afficianado terms it is called a "straight" rod.

It is "bent" when it has become bent outside of correct spec.

Best,
Swampy

Garands forever

owner Swampworks Inc. / JLK Bullets

The difference between a hot dog and a weenie is a fine line.....

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity....

You say that you believe in man made global warming???
AHHhhh BWA-HA-HA-hahahahah......
Sorry, I was having a "moment". See the last line above.

ftierson
July 03, 2008, 01:29
Originally posted by Swampy
Stoney Creek,

Some of the confusion about M1 op-rods arises in nomenclature.... An M1 rod that is correctly dimensioned is most definitely NOT "straight". It has two intentional bends in the tube.... but in M1 afficianado terms it is called a "straight" rod.

It is "bent" when it has become bent outside of correct spec.

I have a friend who has 70 M1 Garands. Every one has a 'straight' rod...

Oh, wait, my mistake...

Every one has a 'bent' op-rod...

Oh, wait, they have straight op-rods...

Damn, I'm so confused...:)

Forrest

daddy0011
August 02, 2008, 01:30
Army field manual FM 23-5, Page 8 states and I quote:
Caution: The operating rod is bent intentionally so that it will not bind against the enlarged portion of the barrel. Do not attempt to straighten it. I'm new to M1's and thought the same thing when I opened it up. Hope this helps.

Thanks, J.K.

D P Six
August 02, 2008, 16:48
As an op rod aside. If you need an op rod bent to spec, piston replaced or tab replaced, JSwartz280@aol.com , is considered to be the man to go to.

moses
August 04, 2008, 15:20
I always chuckle a little everytime I see one of these posts.:rofl:

+1 The op rod is bent at the factory, it is supposed to be bent.

The first time I took my first M1 apart I said to myself, hey wow they make these things bent, you think they would have designed it to where the op rod was straight! But the M1 has quite a few quirky things if you ask me.

I think that is one reason why I like it so much!

Swampy
August 04, 2008, 15:28
But the M1 has quite a few quirky things if you ask me.
I think that is one reason why I like it so much!

The M1 does have a lot of unusual quirks in it's design..... and they all work together, in unison, to make one heck of a battle rifle.

Best to all,
Swampy

Garands forever

owner Swampworks Inc. / JLK Bullets
http://www.swampworks.com

You believe in man made global warming???
AHHhhh BWA-HA-HA-hahahahah......

lowprone
August 14, 2008, 12:29
Some op-rods are bent by using the wrong powder while reloading, resulting in excessive port pressures, in addition to the original factory offset.

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 14, 2008, 13:24
Well, let's see exactly what I got here. From one guy, the barrel is aftermarket, no idea what manufacture. The gun is not import marked that I can tell (if anyone knows where such markings would be school me). It looks like all parts are SA marked (not that they aren't interchangeable). The op rod piston head mikes out at 0.526" and the only bend I see is about 6" back from the piston head.

The op rod spring in this gun is rusty, crusty, and probably weak. There was a little skiffin' of oil blown out around the gas cylinder/barrel interface. I suppose that's normal. The gas port region of the barrel is slightly corroded but CLP got rid of the most of it. The gas cylinder plug was pretty crunchy with carbon but it scraped off. Would any of this affect the gas pressure enough to damage the op rod?

I have no idea what kind of ammo was fired thru this gun before I got it and neither did the dealer. But for $475 I couldn't pass up a sale...:biggrin:

Also, Riverbank Armory has different kinds of gas plugs available. Any of these reduce the chances of damage or would a stock part do just fine?

Thanks again!

steveo539
August 15, 2008, 20:41
It is my understanding that heavy bullets (like heavier than 173gr) or powders with the wrong burn rate can dammage the op rod. Dammage being bending it more than the factory designed bends. Just stick with surplus ball ammo or reloads that duplicate these loads and you'll be fine. Man I love my Garands and you are going to love yours too. What a great rifle.

Steve

ftierson
August 15, 2008, 21:43
Originally posted by steveo539
It is my understanding that heavy bullets (like heavier than 173gr) or powders with the wrong burn rate can dammage the op rod. Dammage being bending it more than the factory designed bends. Just stick with surplus ball ammo or reloads that duplicate these loads and you'll be fine. Man I love my Garands and you are going to love yours too. What a great rifle.

Heavy bullets, by themselves, will not hurt your Garand.

The problem is that heavier bullets normally use a slower powder for optimal velocity, and the slower powder, by increasing the gas port pressure, can damage the op-rod...

And, yes, you just have to love the Garand...:)

Forrest

StoneyCreekMrMauser
August 15, 2008, 22:06
Originally posted by ftierson

And, yes, you just have to love the Garand...:)

Forrest

Too late. My BIL and his friend like it too. Told 'em to snap-to and get one but NOOO...:tongue:

ftierson
August 15, 2008, 23:34
Originally posted by StoneyCreekMrMauser
Also, Riverbank Armory has different kinds of gas plugs available. Any of these reduce the chances of damage or would a stock part do just fine?

Both the McCann (varying size orifices for the gas plug) and Schuster (adjustable) gas plugs can be used to shoot ammunition with slow powders in the Garand without damaging your operating rod. Both require some fiddling to get things right...

I've found that it's just easier to buy ammo designed for the M1, like the Greek HXP that the CMP is currently selling at a cost cheaper than almost any other centerfire ammunition currently available...

Civilian Marksmanship Program (http://odcmp.com)

Forrest

Heat
August 16, 2008, 02:12
Originally posted by Ssarge
Garand op rods should have a slight bit of bend in them. If it works without binding, until the tab wears down I wouldn't worry too much.
Have you tried the op rod tilt test? (remove the recoil spring and tilt the rifle about 30 degrees. It should run back and forth smoothly)
What I want to know is WHERE did you get that pic of Warren Oates?
Just watched Stripes and his role in that movie was classic..Sgt Hulka!