M2MG
June 24, 2008, 23:36
Check the link.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/

Let's hope for the best.

M2MG

2barearms
June 25, 2008, 05:26
It should have been known that they would save the best for last.
I figured they would be a the door and throw the opinion to the press
and leave.

bakerjw
June 25, 2008, 06:02
If not today, then tomorrow.

MordeanGrey
June 25, 2008, 09:24
from the Supreme Court blog site:

10:21
Tom Goldstein - Guns is not being decided today. Last opinion coming now.
10:22
Tom Goldstein - We'll know in a few minutes whether tomorrow will be the last day.

2barearms
June 25, 2008, 09:56
I have a hunch they decide not to rule and let the Lower Court Ruling stand.

M2MG
June 25, 2008, 10:47
From the Supreme Court Blog:

Jason Harrow - Tomorrow, the Court will issue its remaining three decisions: Heller (DC Guns), Davis v. FEC (campaign finance), and American Electric Power (energy contracts).

V guy
June 25, 2008, 14:38
By this time tomorrow, we will be screaming about funding the next level of lawsuits to challenge the doors that the court will have kicked wide open for us....

I predict the individual rights concept is a winner and that you cannot require a citizen to be in the militia or to have an active militia membership to own any weapons currently carried by a US combat soldier.......the women and children and VPC be damned......

I predict that the ruling will be clear that you cannot arbitrarily ban any class of weapon but you can require background checks........... and the court will hint strongly that any gov't laws are likely unconstitutional if they go beyond background checks..... that restricting or taxing a class of individual weapons owned or carried by a citizen or militiaman into a virtual prohibition......such as the DC handgun ban or any machine gun statutes are totally unconstitutional...

This ruling will apply to the feds and all states immediately...

fastfreddy
June 25, 2008, 14:42
I predict a ruling that it is an individual right subject to reasonable restrictions. The DC ban will be deemed unreasonable but we will be left hanging as to what a reasonable restriction is. I hope V Guy is right.

J308
June 25, 2008, 15:15
They'll do their damndest to render a decision that has the least possible impact on current laws everywhere, making the smallest waves they can.

TheOtherChris
June 25, 2008, 15:38
I'm guessing they will render an opinion that DC's complete ban on handguns is unconstitutional without further comment.
This would mean that DC and other cities with a total ban on handguns would have to drop the prohibition....nothing more.

If they elaborate on the ruling, it is anybody's guess what will happen.

renaissance_warrior
June 25, 2008, 15:49
Let's hope it is a 'strict scrutiny' decision. If that's the case, a lot of other laws will fall in the periphery as a result. I am sure that the city-wide bans will be shot down (pun intended) across the board. Daley will be wetting his pants and DSA will probably have a parade. :shades:

MordeanGrey
June 26, 2008, 09:14
AFFIRMED!!!!

10:12
Tom Goldstein - Heller affirmed.
10:13
Ben Winograd -
The Court has released the opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290), on whether the District’s firearms regulations – which bar the possession of handguns and require shotguns and rifles to be kept disassembled or under trigger lock – violate the Second Amendment. The ruling below, which struck down the provisions in question, is affirmed.

Justice Scalia wrote the opinion. Justice Breyer dissented, joined by Justices Stevens, Souter and Ginsburg. We will provide a link to the decision as soon as it is available.
10:13
Tom Goldstein - Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm.

Scott S
June 26, 2008, 09:56
G, that was a very succinct analysis. Originally posted by W.E.G.

That is not at all on the table for a possible outcome based on the facts of the Heller case.

Heller is only about preventing a government from completely cutting-off a person's right to "bear arms" for personal defense.

If the holding of Heller can be reasonably "extended" to other issues, I think it will extend to the issue where the government has banned CARRY of firearms outside the home. The logic being that the government cannot be permitted to ban a person from "bearing arms" for personal defense in his home or outside his home.

Where this will be a testy subject, is where a government requires a person to "display a need" for a carry permit. The law actually allows for issuance of carry-permits in DC and MD. Although, none are granted except in the rarest of circumstances. This is the next logical area of legal challenge.

Don't expect the Heller ruling to have any measurable effect on machine-gun laws.