PDA

View Full Version : Why so much difference in price on S&W

seg
June 11, 2008, 16:27
I know next to nothing about S&W accept I NEED one. I am sure once I find the right one my shooting will improve:tongue:.
I have been on Auction Arms and GunBroker looking at the S&W and dont understand why 1 will draw a $800 bid the next $315.00. They look like the same thing, samr model anyway. There have been serveral but the last one, Model19-3 went for $365. If I had a little more knowledge of these I would have bid aleast $425.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=101574289
What is your favorite link or book, so that I may inlighting myself as to the mysterys of these hand cannons.

Thanks for the info:bow:

1gewehr
June 11, 2008, 19:54
I'm sure an S&W expert will pop in his $.02 here. Until then, here's my answer:

S&W has had their good years and bad years. Most people agree that ANY S&W with a pinned barrel and recessed chambers is worth more than an equivalent S&W without those features.

The link you provided was for a S&W model 19, generally considered to have one of the best actions ever made, with a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. Look above the barrel just in front of the cylinder and you will see the head of the pin which secures the barrel. A recessed cylinder means that the case head is fully enclosed within the cylinder. When you drop the cartridges into the cylinder, the base of the cartridge will be flush with the surface of the cylinder.

The extra work was dropped to save money in the early '80's. S&W quality declined for a while. Generally, the older the S&W, the more it will be worth compared to a newer version of the same model.

win308
June 11, 2008, 23:22
If .357 is the round you want (a great choice), then a S&W 686 is what you need, not a 19 or a 66. K frames ( mod 19 etc) were designed for .38 special. Even though heat treatment improves the steel to take a .357, Smith had too many repairs on the K frame .357..... and so they slightly enlarged the frame..... and thus the more robust L frame 586/686 was born.

Get a 686 and you will have a revolver for life you can pass on to your grand kids. About $600 new or $500 used, in excellent cond. If I was only going to own 1 revolver, it would be a 4 inch 686.

sld
June 12, 2008, 03:10
Originally posted by win308
If .357 is the round you want (a great choice), then a S&W 686 is what you need, not a 19 or a 66. K frames ( mod 19 etc) were designed for .38 special. Even though heat treatment improves the steel to take a .357, Smith had too many repairs on the K frame .357..... and so they slightly enlarged the frame..... and thus the more robust L frame 586/686 was born.

Get a 686 and you will have a revolver for life you can pass on to your grand kids. About $600 new or $500 used, in excellent cond. If I was only going to own 1 revolver, it would be a 4 inch 686.

I gotta disagree next to my model 1955 the pre 82 m-19 target 6" was the best revolver I ever had. for a shooter (as opposed to a carry gun) the firing pin belongs on the hammer not behind a transfer bar.

GOVTMOD
June 12, 2008, 09:36
The older the features on a S&W wheel gun the more the price goes up as long as it's serviceable.

The ones I look for at least have to have the pinned extractor (discontinued nearly 20 yrs ago now).I wont even consider one with MIM parts and refuse to have one with the lock. Most serious shooters agree with me to a great degree so that is why the features that date it are critical in value. There are sub-model designations (i.e. 27-2) but it's easier just to go on the feature descriptions.

Para Driver
June 12, 2008, 09:47
like wine, some years are better than others...
the pinned and recessed is considered the better version, more TLC and workmanship. that doesn't mean it shoots any better.

a 4" model 66 is also a great choice..

charles isaac
June 12, 2008, 11:52
The guy only had 1 feedback. Cavaet Emptor! Face to face exchange only on this one unless I was a gamblin man!

GOVTMOD
June 12, 2008, 11:57
Originally posted by charles isaac
The guy only had 1 feedback. Cavaet Emptor! Face to face exchange only on this one unless I was a gamblin man! WTH?

seg
June 12, 2008, 13:04
Originally posted by charles isaac
The guy only had 1 feedback. Cavaet Emptor! Face to face exchange only on this one unless I was a gamblin man!

The bird flew south with extra lettuce and a light blue paint job:confused:

Celtic warrior
June 12, 2008, 14:46
ALL of us started with one feedback...:biggrin:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by charles isaac
The guy only had 1 feedback. Cavaet Emptor! Face to face exchange only on this one unless I was a gamblin man! [/QUOTE

seg
June 13, 2008, 17:35
OK, I have had my Latin lesson for the Year. I now know and understand:confused: Cavaet Emptor, implied warranty and Statutory law.

But WHAT GUY!!!!!!! Did I miss something again

Crap, I just notice my on link ( seller has 1 feed-back) Thats it , I taking up drinking. Atleast I'll have an excuse.

Artful
June 14, 2008, 13:22
:beer: and :whiskey:

I suggest you visit your oldest local trusted gun dealer and look over his inventory and talk about revolvers, If he's been around a while he will let you in on all the things to look for. It should be something like this...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/used_handgun.htm

http://users.adelphia.net/~danwagner/buyused.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_49/ai_99145178

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57816