PDA

View Full Version : Which hunting rifle??

Perched Eagle
June 04, 2008, 10:23
In a bolt .308 or .30-06, which of these makes would you suggest...?

CZ 550
Savage ?
Ruger Hawkeye
Remington 798
Browning A-bolt
Pre-1964 Winchester 70 (if I can find one around anymore)
or...a sporterized Springfield or Mauser (same issue as with the Winnie)...

And, would you recommend controlled over push feed for an all purpose rifle?

Thanks, just trying to find, this time around, a good hunting rifle (for self and as a pass on to son arm)...Tikka would be good too at the price point that the ones list come in at but for some reason I haven't warmed up to one -- though I love the action's smoothness...

Thanks gents,

P.E.

WiFAL
June 05, 2008, 08:11
Kind of slow around here.

For what it's worth Cabelas has the Remington 798 on sale this weekend for $499. It's basically a Zastava made Mauser in a Remington laminate ADL stock but with a BDL magazine floor plate. It was previously imported by Charles Daly and Interarms before that. The Remington stock is considered an improvement by those blogging about the topic. In the opinion of some the 798 is a better rifle than Remington's 700. Think it had to do with the opinion that all other bolt rifles are just Mauser pretenders, the strength of the Mauser extractor and controlled feed.

Anyway if price matters you probably won't find a better value than the 798 this weekend.

Earlier this year I purchased a Model 799. The blueing is super, the barrel is free-floated. I'd have shot it by now but for the fact that I had some problems with a vendor sending me the wrong scope mounts. That's cleared up now and I'll be taking it out in two weeks.

I like my bolt rifles in the same calibers as my semi-autos. My hunting rifle is a 308. The Model 799 is 7.62x39.

MAINER
June 05, 2008, 10:27
You've got it down to some good choices there. Warning! I'm another Mauser nut. Seems to be a lot of them on the Files. So, I would pass on the Savage and the A-bolt which has always been too "glossy" for my taste.

I like your CZ-550 pick. I believe it comes with a "set" trigger which is nice.

I always look at any "pre-64" Model 70's I see, but the last .308 Win. featherweight had a $800 tag on it and it was in barely fair condition.

Be careful with sporterized Mausers. Bubba did a bunch of them!

That Rem 798 looks like a best buy and I'm waiting to get a look at them. If I find a nice used Hawkeye in .308, I'm getting it. Have seen new ones in the Gunshops and I like the action and finish on them Ole Bill may have been jerk, but I like the M77 and No. 1 rifles.

If you don't object to a "push-bolt" action, check out Weatherby's Vanguard or Howa's 1500 (same maker). Both are very nice and very accurate with great prices.

Note; I have FN Mausers and Win Model 70, both work fine. My one and only Rem. 700 PSS jams on every other round from the mag.

If you got $900, check out FN's PBR. The deluxe is a Model 70 controlled feed.

IMHO. In a bolt action, the 30-06 is a better choice for a hunting rifle. It handles the 180gr and heavier bullets easier if your game is bigger than deer size. If you want to shoot the ammo you loaded too hot for your Fal, that's another story. :tongue:

MAINER
June 06, 2008, 17:54
Wallysmart had a deal today.

Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Mag for $400
Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 for $425

Tough to beat that.

HankC
June 13, 2008, 19:30
Stevens 200, $265 at Dick's special order catalog.

splattermatic
June 13, 2008, 22:41
remington 700... can't go wrong with any configuration you choose....

just wait til ya see the 280 ai that's getting built right now !!

pics in a few months...

Andy the Aussie
June 14, 2008, 01:07
Originally posted by MAINER
Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Mag for $400 .....my favourite hunting rifle....mine dates to the early 80s though.

bigant
June 14, 2008, 09:00
Howa=Weatherby Good rifle

Remy 700

I'm having a 280 Rem on a Stiller Action with a Broughton Barrel

The new Icon by Thompson is supposed to be really nice and I thought I heard that George Gardner GA Presicion had a hand in developing the action.

splattermatic
June 14, 2008, 09:13
might have ant,
mine is a remmy l/a, lilja fluted #4 contour s.s., benchmark 3 groove, with custom throat to shoot barnes 140 ttsx's. i wanted .030 of jump with the bullet seated at the base of the neck. gives me room for adjustments. joel russo is cutting a beautiful piece of wood for me into a high monte carlo stock. blue monster is gonna finish it !

Artful
June 14, 2008, 13:11
My hunting guns got abused a bit so I'd look at Stainless Steel Remington or Savage or Ruger bolt gun in that order - put in Synth stock and camo finished.

But I just bought an old Izzy 308 barrel for a used Mauser so I should tell the truth and say I have a soft spot for M98 conversions. :D

ftierson
June 15, 2008, 01:14
I've heard that the Weatherby Vanguards are a best buy...:)

Forrest

Heat
June 15, 2008, 02:32
You get alot for your money with CZ...own one now, owned in the past..Im a softy for the claw extractors and controlled rond feeding

bigant
June 15, 2008, 21:30
Originally posted by splattermatic
might have ant,
mine is a remmy l/a, lilja fluted #4 contour s.s., benchmark 3 groove, with custom throat to shoot barnes 140 ttsx's. i wanted .030 of jump with the bullet seated at the base of the neck. gives me room for adjustments. joel russo is cutting a beautiful piece of wood for me into a high monte carlo stock. blue monster is gonna finish it !

sounds nice!

I have a Manners MCS-T Stock, barrel is Fluted too at a #5 with a Finish Lenght of 24" I can wait to get it. Chris Matthews of Longshot Rifles LLC has all of my parts. So i'm guessing that it will be 2-3 months!

splattermatic
June 15, 2008, 22:00
since benchmark makes the barrels, i sent them a barreled action in -06 to take apart, blueprint the action, surface grind the lug, make the barrel, and do the whole build. i WILL review this and let the whole world know on the quality of the build and the barrel. they do not advertise, but all their work comes from word of mouth....... i have a big un ! they build a good one and it will be shown off, build a bum steer and ....well.... let's just they may not be having many new customers....

only being fair, jr in the nw, wants a review......so i'll give em one...
i am not one to pull punches, and i do use what i buy...sometimes almost to the point of abuse to make a good review fair either way....

huntr has a manners on a 338 win mag, he likes em and i have been looking.. i am going thru a wood phase, so plastics/fiberglass, are in 2nd place.

why 24" ? i like a 26" a bit more velo, and seems to balance to me a bit better... i like mine muzzle heavy.

no ai ? nosler custom 280ai brass is really nice. weight sorted, deburred, flash holes cleaned.... really nice stuff....

you doin a huntin riffle or a target ? what bullet weights you lookin to launch ?

i used to shoot 55.5 gr's imr 4350 under a 139 spbt.. great in my other 280...
it's a safe queen now....

bigant
July 12, 2008, 14:51
Originally posted by splattermatic
since benchmark makes the barrels, i sent them a barreled action in -06 to take apart, blueprint the action, surface grind the lug, make the barrel, and do the whole build. i WILL review this and let the whole world know on the quality of the build and the barrel. they do not advertise, but all their work comes from word of mouth....... i have a big un ! they build a good one and it will be shown off, build a bum steer and ....well.... let's just they may not be having many new customers....

only being fair, jr in the nw, wants a review......so i'll give em one...
i am not one to pull punches, and i do use what i buy...sometimes almost to the point of abuse to make a good review fair either way....

huntr has a manners on a 338 win mag, he likes em and i have been looking.. i am going thru a wood phase, so plastics/fiberglass, are in 2nd place.

why 24" ? i like a 26" a bit more velo, and seems to balance to me a bit better... i like mine muzzle heavy.

no ai ? nosler custom 280ai brass is really nice. weight sorted, deburred, flash holes cleaned.... really nice stuff....

you doin a huntin riffle or a target ? what bullet weights you lookin to launch ?

i used to shoot 55.5 gr's imr 4350 under a 139 spbt.. great in my other 280...
it's a safe queen now....

Its going to be a Hunting/Light Target...Since it I do my part, I am expecting that it will shoot sub MOA.

Here is a link to some AI loads...Might help give you a base

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2231753/page/10#Post2231753

WiFAL
July 12, 2008, 15:36
I recently read a good post on another site lambasting those who will tell you about how the first thing you need to do when buying a bolt action rifle is to send it to a smith for $250 worth of work. As the thread said - BS. Most rifles shoot well out of the box. My Remingtons do 3/4 minute of angle out of the box. How much better does a rifle have to be to shoot an animal?

I like the Savage trigger system. If I were to buy a bolt rifle now I think I would lean toward a Savage.

indy_Muaddib
July 12, 2008, 16:48
i have a JC Higgins (high standard) Model 50 in .30-06

FN Mauser action, made in 1953, original Weaver K4 Scope

still takes deer every year.

not mine but a very good example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfutJHzEx4

bigant
July 13, 2008, 19:34
Originally posted by WiFAL
I recently read a good post on another site lambasting those who will tell you about how the first thing you need to do when buying a bolt action rifle is to send it to a smith for $250 worth of work. As the thread said - BS. Most rifles shoot well out of the box. My Remingtons do 3/4 minute of angle out of the box. How much better does a rifle have to be to shoot an animal?

I like the Savage trigger system. If I were to buy a bolt rifle now I think I would lean toward a Savage.

This is very true! Thats why I didnt buy a stock Remy or Savage and I bought a Custom Action:wink:

I was going to buy a stock platform, but I decided that I wanted to have something built from scratch. Got a good deal on the action, since there was a group buy on them and saved over 100.00....Bought some parts at discount and paid retail for Stock and Barrel.

Don Williams
July 13, 2008, 19:52
I bought a Savage because it's a left handed rifle. I got it used with less than 40 rounds through it because the original owner couldn't make the transition from right handed guns to left handed ones. Got a 2X7 leupold on it.

The gun will out shoot me. I've gotten multiple quarter sized groups at 100 yards and one of my friends(also left handed) put ten rounds into less that 2 inches at 250. I can't shoot that good but he did it.

And FWIW a new Savage costs less than 2/3's of what the others do.