PDA

View Full Version : What did I get a hold of and what is it worth?

APG
May 29, 2008, 11:22
I recently aquired an IMBEL FN FAL .308, it says Brazil, I assume that's where it was made. I really don't know much about it or the FN in general and that's why I'm here, to learn. The story is, I traded a guy a Mossberg 835 shot gun for it, he gave me a weird looking scope to mount on it and 3 mags. I'm wondering what a rifle like this is worth and if I got a decent deal. The gun itself is spotless and dosn't appear to have been fired much.
If I knew how to attach a photo of it here I would for you guys to see but I don't know. If anyone would like to see a photo, tell me how to attach photos to this thread or send me an email and I can send a pic of it to you. Thanks in advance for your help.

ggiilliiee
May 29, 2008, 11:44
one question ....does the guy have any more to trade ....man did you get a good deal .....200 dollar shotty for a 6 hundred $ rifle .....:bow:

icwells
May 29, 2008, 11:44
Presuming that it functions well, it's worth quite a bit more than a Mossberg. I would say at least $500 from the sound of it, and probably a bit more.

lew
May 29, 2008, 13:40
Even if it doesn't work, FALs are easy to get runnin'.

Brazil would imply the gun, or at least the upper receiver, was made by IMBEL.

E-mail me a picture or two at le_wells@yahoo.com and I'll put 'em up.

cbr954fz1
May 29, 2008, 16:30
i'll take it if you dont want it.:biggrin:

brownknees
May 29, 2008, 16:53
he gave me a weird looking scope to mount on it
Weird in what way?

coltcollector
May 29, 2008, 16:59
Could go as high as $700 depending on internal and external parts.

MAINER
May 29, 2008, 18:13
Does the part that says Imbel have a gear-like logo on it?
Any CAI or St. Albans, Vt. on it?
R1A1?
Folding rear sight?
Front sight ears have holes or solid?
Charge handle folding or fixed?
Any date electropenciled in the magazine well?

Yup, you done good! Get a grip on somethin' before ya go pricing ammo, however. :uhoh:

Check out the forum "Fal Images" You might find something simular to yours.

lew
May 29, 2008, 19:27
Here are APG's pictures.

Nummer eins:

lew
May 29, 2008, 19:30
Zwei

lew
May 29, 2008, 19:36
Drei

lew
May 29, 2008, 19:37
und vier

Brian in MN
May 29, 2008, 19:57
Has anyone made aftermarket handguards like that or did this schmuck trade that shotgun for a set of handguards and get a rifle thrown in for free?

Dude, ya did good, very good.

APG
May 29, 2008, 20:59
Thanks for putting those on for me Lew, I'll anwser MAINER's questions.

Does the part that says Imbel have a gear-like logo on it? YES

Any CAI or St. Albans, Vt. on it? I can't find that, where would it be?

R1A1? I do not see that anywhere on it.

Folding rear sight? No, it moves up and down on a slide rail numbered 2 through 6.

Front sight ears have holes or solid? Ears are solid but the post has adjustment hole machined on either side of the post and 2 smaller one holes next to each other.

Charge handle folding or fixed? Fixed and it can be belt fed.

Any date electropenciled in the magazine well? Not sure but it says PAC2174

Will any of this help in determining authenticity and value?

firefuzz
May 29, 2008, 21:10
Originally posted by APG

Charge handle folding or fixed? Fixed and it can be belt fed.

Belt fed???????

Rob

lew
May 29, 2008, 21:18
Originally posted by APG
Thanks for putting those on for me Lew,

Don't mention it. :D

Your receiver was made in Brazil by IMBEL, and imported by Pacific Armament Corporation. It's a Type III upper receiver.

The top cover is a Tapco unit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For one thing, that's a Stoll flash hider, as found on the Austrian's StG 58. The buttstock is also of the StG 58 style. Since it's green, I'd assume it's a DSA, but I don't know if the made them in green or not. The pistol grip appears to be a DSA unit, as well. If you look up inside the grip, you will be able to see the letter DSA, or something to that effect. Since the previous two furniture items are likely DSA, the handguards probably are, too.

phillip
May 29, 2008, 21:26
What about the scope????

lew
May 29, 2008, 21:31
Those are the only four pictures he sent, so I have no idea.

APG
May 29, 2008, 23:07
I sent Lew the scope pics and hopefully he'll get them on here soon, and you can see it. As far as the top cover that's on it now, I put that on there because I dont want to damage the scope. It's a one piece scope and top cover.

APG
May 29, 2008, 23:15
Oh and the belt fed thing, that is what I was told by the guy I got it from, I'm assuming I was told wrong???? He also told me that he has a FN FAL sporter that he would sell me for $400.00. Is that something I sould be snatching up at that price??

DK
May 29, 2008, 23:28
yes.

DK

GOVTMOD
May 30, 2008, 07:47
G*d D@mn!t!!!! Why Don't I ever get these deals!!!!:redface:

I just had a customer walk in the shop last week with a cherry 03A4 W/correct scope that he bought for $650.

The devil has a special place for you people.:devil: Until, of course, I finally get a sweet deal like that.:bigangel:

MAINER
May 30, 2008, 07:58
What lew said: Austrian stg 58 rifle built on an Imbel, Gear logo, PAC type III receiver. The buttstock, pistol grip and handguards are most likely from DSA, worth $115 for the set.
The stock set counts as 3 parts for compliant parts count. Make sure you have 4 more for a total of 7. Probably they would be the Hammer, trigger, sear and gas piston. This is assuming the Stolle is real.

Great rifle, worth $900 easily!

Second question: You're kidding us, right? :tongue:

What DK said;

YES!!

Don't forget the pics! :D

Jimi X.
May 30, 2008, 09:34
With a deal like the one that you received, either the previous owner was VERY dense regarding the real value....or you may have stolen items.

lew
May 30, 2008, 11:08
Mo pics. SUIT sight.

lew
May 30, 2008, 11:15
Stoll flash hider.

APG
May 30, 2008, 11:19
I would say he didn't have much of an idea of the value. Hell, I didn't either.

lew
May 30, 2008, 11:21
Pistol grip. Not DSA.

APG
May 30, 2008, 15:34
Hey Lew thanks agin for posting the pics, If it isn't DSA, which I don't know what that is anyway, than what are the other possibilities?

J. Armstrong
May 30, 2008, 15:54
Well, I don't think DSA made any nonbipod HGS, so that's out.

I'd be very careful about the 922r count, but it is sure a great deal !!!

APG
May 30, 2008, 16:11
Does Steyer STG 58 fit?

brownknees
May 30, 2008, 17:06
The furniture looks like it might be Penguin, painted green?
Looking at the bottom of the PG it seems to have some overspray.
That top cover looks like a TAPCP stripper clip model that allows the magazine to be topped up directly thru the locked back bole with standard type stripper clips BTW.
The odd sight is as mentioned a SUIT.
Therew's an instruction manual on-line here on the files at the top of the optics forum if you need one.

Timber Wolf
May 31, 2008, 06:23
Penguin O.D. furniture set. I have a set around somewhere awaiting a special build.

Brian in MN
May 31, 2008, 06:52
Sure be nice if you would post pics of the inside of those handguards. Are the front bits where the screw is metal or plastic?

APG
May 31, 2008, 12:06
Brian from Minnesota, what city are you in? I'm in Apple Valley, if your close enough maybe you can have a look at it?

pistol5
May 31, 2008, 12:30
I have a set just like those-plastic where it screws into GB-no metal inserts but seems quite sturdy.

RRotz
May 31, 2008, 18:47
Originally posted by lew
Mo pics. SUIT sight.

LOL at the suit.

GOVTMOD
May 31, 2008, 20:57
The suit in that condition is worth a Mossy.... you bast@rd.