PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice- Need a wheel gun

seg
May 28, 2008, 05:44
I'm planning on getting a New Wheel gun(x2). Mainly for plinking, one in 22 and 357/38. I really like the Taurus Tracker in 22 RF but out of 5 I have handled only 1 locked up to my liking.
Price is a factor but not my main concern. I have a Model 14, just not interested in shooting it. I guess my standards may be set kind of high because thats all I have to compare them to.

Plan on shooting targets off hand to around 25 yrds or so. I just started reloading and plan on shootng A-LOT of 38's. A 4.5 to 6 inch barrel with adjustable sites for both.

Whats out there worth taking a look at?

Thanks for your input.
Stephen

richbug
May 28, 2008, 06:32
When it come to the 22, you can piss around and buy inferior guns, but the best plan is just to buy the right one to start with. IMHO, the best 22 in a S&W k-22 of some sort. I have been through pretty much all of the lessor quality 22 revolvers, when I really knew what I wanted to start with. I would have been miles ahead to just buy the K-22 to start with. The sad part is that I knew I wanted the Smith to start with, but couldn't justify the expense.

MHO, As to the 357, just pick the K, L, or N frame that feels best to you. You can buy a prettier gun(Python) or a heavy clunker gun(Ruger), but not a better gun.

MAINER
May 28, 2008, 09:37
richbug calls it right to me too. I've got a lot of different revolvers, but the only competition S&W had for DA revolvers was Colt.

If I was looking for a .22 and a .,357, I'd try to get them to match as much as possible. S&W Model 617 is built on a K frame in .22 cal and is available with a 10 round cylinder for about $25 more.
Match that to a Model 686 L frame in either 6 or 7 rd with the same barrel lenght and you should be a happy man. :)

Ruger makes a good, tough revolver. I like them and recommend them to folks that want a handgun to "keep around". A GP 100 in .22 and .357 would be neat, but don't know if they make the .22 in a DA.

G'luck

win308
June 15, 2008, 19:53
A Ruger single action in .22 would be a good choice. They come up all the time in the used gun world and can be found for reasonable prices in my neck of the woods. A single action kind of forces you to take your time and not just blast ammo down range.

For your bigger gun, find a nice 686. Stainless can take a lot of neglect and can still keep on shooting for years. Blued guns need more tlc on clean up......don't want to rub too hard getting the carbon off, as you can damage the finish.

sld
June 15, 2008, 20:47
i was really disappointed with my last taurus. A blackhawk and single six make a nice combo, but you can't go wrong with a K22 and a 686, for accuracy the S&W's would be my first choice.

1gewehr
June 16, 2008, 08:48
My wife and my sister-in-law both have Taurus 94's in .22lr. I've heard a lot of bad things about the 94, but these two guns have both been great!! My SIL's gun hasn't seen many rounds, and is practically brand new (but bought 8 years ago).

Our gun dates from about the same time, and has had many thousands of rounds through it. It is the gun we use to introduce new shooters, general plinking, chasing off squirrels using the little Colibri rounds, and pretty much anything else you can think of. The trigger pull is pretty good in double-action, and in single-action it's pretty crisp.

Like any other .22 revolver, the biggest issue is lead build-up in the cylinder. Clean it out ever couple of thousand rounds, and it will run fine.

It will not match the accuracy of my 6" Colt Trooper .22 or the Dan Wesson .22. But then, not many guns will!

Another choice might be an older used revolver. Both Iver Johnson and H&R made excellent target pistols in .22. IIRC, the Iver Johnson 'Sealed Eight' will do admirably. Much higher quality than their other offerings.

lutefisk
June 19, 2008, 22:51
SW 686.

ice9
June 20, 2008, 13:13
686 4".

W.E.G.
June 20, 2008, 15:11
You might get a good Taurus.

...or you might get a P.O.S. Taurus.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

For new guns:
Ruger Mark II or Mark III
Ruger GP-100

For used guns I'd still go with the Mark II or Mark III Ruger, but I'd look at Smith and Wesson .357's or a Ruger Security-Six.

A heavy .357 is not a bad thing for a utility gun.
There are lightweight .357's if you want to really not enjoy shooting it.

Don Williams
June 20, 2008, 19:46
Go with the Smiths. You won't regret it.

I've got a few and the K-22 combat masterpiece I have has had many thousand rounds through it.(built in 1948) shoots better than I can.

Now days I'd go with stainless because you can ignore it longer w/o cleaning problems.

Bawana jim
June 22, 2008, 08:58
Probably the best option is the Smiths like everyone has been saying:biggrin:

You could go with the j-frame and get a model 34 for your 22lr and a 36 for your 38. Barrel lengths vary up to 4 inches and adjustable sights come on the 34.

Or the next frame up is the K frame and the 17 is the 22lr to have and it goes along with the model 19 357 mag like two peas in a pod.

In stainless the 617 22lr goes with the 686

If colt is the answer then a small frame is the Diamondback which comes in 22lr and 38 special. Hope you have alot of money for these:biggrin:

Larger frame is the colt trooper in 22lr and 357mag. Just hope these don't break cause a good smith is hard to find who can work on these.

Single actions, well I like em but will let other comment on them.

jim

George4
June 22, 2008, 18:01
Have to go along with W.E.G. on the Ruger Security Six. .357 - bought one a year ago, about 99% for $250.00, 2 3/4" barrel, blued. Has a heck of reputation for handling magnum loads. Happy with it. I have owned S&W .357 Highway Patrolman, Mod. 28 as I recall, Model 19 (not really made for magnum heavy use) and little Chief's Special, Mod. 36 and truth is S&Ws are fine revolvers. I bought one Taurus, not pleased with it and sold after a couple months.

flejl
June 22, 2008, 20:35
For a 357, if you can find a S&W Model 28 go for it! It will be around for your kids, their kids, and their grandkids. These are built on the Smith N Frame and are in my opinion way over built (make that very strong).

Another good used 357 is a Colt Trooper Mk3. From what I can see, these are great pistols and don't really seem to command allot of money right now.

In regards 22's, take a look at the Ruger single six. I bought one for the wife, its built like tank!

As for a Taurus, I have an M44 (S&W Model 29 clone) and bang for the buck itís a great pistol. I shoot the Taurus more then the S&W Model 629 we have since it is ported. I know I've read allot of posts complaining about Taurus, but so far my experience has been very good.

Good Luck! Wheel guns are allot of fun and easier to clean the semi-autos.

jaykden
June 23, 2008, 02:33
i just got a little rossi 351 .38 (snubnose).

i took abit of messing with the rear groove as it was shooting to the left. (its abit toughter to adjust fixed sights ;) ).

anyway, i only payed $190 and its in excellent condition. its accurate enough and is fun to plink with at the range. i can make good hits out to 30 yrds or so. on paper, i get 2" at 10 yrds.

its a nice little carry gun. very light and small.

i knows they arn't as good as SW or ruger, but for the price, its a dandy little pistol thats smooth and look very nice.

i've never been into smallish revolvers much in the past, but now i'm kinda hankerin for a .357 with a 5" barrel.

Andy the Aussie
June 23, 2008, 02:43
I am partial to 4 and 6 inch L Frame S&Ws. I bought this one new around 1989. It is still my favourite revolver.

Andy

seg
June 23, 2008, 05:11
Thanks for the all the advice, I picked up a S&W 19 from member here, sent out the $ saturday. Now to find that 22.
I can now see, I'm just trading (FAL) one addiction for another:biggrin:

BUFF
June 23, 2008, 07:04
The closest thing to a .22 LR version of the S&W Model 19 is the Model 18. Same K frame, adjustable sights, just a lighter 4 inch barrel with no ejector rod shroud.

Or, same gun in 6 and 8-3/8 inch barrel is the Model 17. Both 17 and 18 are also known as K-22's. In stainless steel, Model 617 but most have heavy barrels with full length underlugs, like a Colt Python.

A really good .22 as much like your .357 is an excellent idea, especially with today's ammo prices.

seg
June 23, 2008, 08:06
What the over all impression of a new 617, for the prices that are being asked for used models I might as well go for a new one. I think they are going for $550.00 +/-.

ice9
June 23, 2008, 21:15
Man on second thought if you are gonna reload blasting ammo I'd go .44 all the way. Go 6" or 4" 29 or 629. 44 special is a dream to shoot but you expand your power band. The more I shoot full house .357 the more I appreciate the .44 magnum. You're starting out with a bit more versatile gun.

mj2evans
June 25, 2008, 15:10
The S&W 686 6" is a benchmark pistol and really not a bad deal cost vs. quality. If you can get a Ruger (GP100 or Security Six) with a good trigger you could save a few bucks but its NOT a 686 and never will be. That said I really like my 45 Long Colt but I would never give up my 686.

22? A Ruger MkII or III is likely more accurate than any revovlver but I want a K22 too!

seg
July 16, 2008, 16:45
A trio of fun
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x317/seg68/IMG_0742.jpg

Outlaw Patriot
July 20, 2008, 23:29
I have a S/W 627, and 617.

The 627 is a very very nice gun. Best trigger, both DA and SA of any revolver I've ever felt (although I have felt too many). Very accurate, and I really like that you can load it with the moon clips. Not too heavy to carry (I mean open in the woods or something, not CCW) but somehow felt recoil is still almost nothing. The only downside is the price, but I've seen them on gunbroker for 800ish, so thats not too bad.

617 is pretty nice too. The trigger isn't quite as stellar, but its not bad. Its pretty accurate too. When I do my part, which is rare, I can hit paper plates offhand with it at 100 yards. I've never done any bench shooting with it to really test the accuracy, but it is way more accurate than I am.