PDA

View Full Version : FAL synthetic furniture materials: what and where?

Topbanana
May 25, 2008, 15:40
I want to know more about the materials used in synthetic FAL furniture. I've done a search on the bakelite ones and I know the HGs exist as well as possibly buttstocks. I have also seen the large holed Argies were possibly made of nylon.

I want to know: what other materials were used in what combinations by what countries on what specific rifle variations?

Thanks so much!

J. Armstrong
May 25, 2008, 18:07
Good God, y'all ----- that would take a book !!! Just for example, Argentine FALs started with all wood furniture, buttstock type B. later they had nonbipod cut synthetic HGs, synthetic PGs both with and without cleaning kit notch, type C wood stocks in two different lengths, then synthetic stocks and bipod cut synthetic HGs. That doesn't even count different combinations that occurred in the field. The Rhodies are probably even more complicated. Then there are G1/STG metal HGs, Israeli wood/metal HGs and their short stocks, plus the real early T48 type wood HGs and the type A wood buttstocks. Then there is the additional question of Commonwealth pattern rifles. See what I mean ?

The actual materials used varied. The synthetics varied as plastics technology advanced and what type each manufacturer chose to use at any given point in time, just as the woods used varied by locale, maker, etc..

If you have any specific countries in mind, that would be doable :D

Topbanana
May 26, 2008, 13:57
I am mainly interested in the types made with primative plastics, anyone wanna help me out?

Are these stock types available in this country and where can I find them?

Abominog
May 27, 2008, 11:53
Some early HG were indeed bakelite, but they are very rare.

Many refer to the typical hard plastic HG (for example, Imbel) as bakelite, but I do not believe they are bakelite, but a hard (cyanocrylic? I'm no expert) plastic.

Later South African and Argie (and others) were injection molded "vinyl".

Topbanana
May 27, 2008, 17:14
Were some Argies made of nylon? What material are the Belgian grey HGs?