PDA

View Full Version : Edjimicate me on SAA repros

lew
May 22, 2008, 22:40
I'm looking at the offering from Cimarron, specifically the 5.5" barrel. I don't plan on getting into cowboy shooting of any flavor, but I would like something that is somewhat historically accurate and won't break the bank. Is this a good deal? Who makes their offering? Are these guns black powder only? If so, it's not a problem, just good to know up front.

USMC 0341
May 22, 2008, 23:18
I have a couple Cimarron's in 45 Colt. One is the Thunderer (w/ 4.75" barrel)and the other the model P (w/ 7.5" barrel). They are made for modern power and contemporary loadings - but otherwise are very close to the original design.

What this means is that the firing pin is fixed to the hammer so they are not safe to carry with a full load of six rounds. In fact, the first one I bought was so long ago they came with an aluminum plug in one cylinder to prevent you from loading all chambers. The most recent SAA I got from them didn't have this.

They get the unfinished parts from Uberti then fit and finish them to their own standards.

I have also shelled out the cash for a US Firearms SAA. Much better quality but 2X+ the price.

For the money and a gun you don't plan to put thousands of rounds through I'd say the Cimarron is a good deal.

pjpjr
May 23, 2008, 07:31
Originally posted by lew
I'm looking at the offering from Cimarron, specifically the 5.5" barrel. I don't plan on getting into cowboy shooting of any flavor, but I would like something that is somewhat historically accurate and won't break the bank. Is this a good deal? Who makes their offering? Are these guns black powder only? If so, it's not a problem, just good to know up front.
I would consider the US Firearms line of revolvers! Best bang for the buck out there! For just shooting fun without breaking the bank the US Firearms Rodeo is the way to go, true to form Colt SAA revolver and best quality in marketplace.

MAINER
May 23, 2008, 09:57
Cimmeron's = $500 ~ $600
US firearms = $800 ~ $900

The USF is a very nice piece, right up to and beyond Colt according to some.

The Cimmys are well made and finished. Pretty sure they have their sight regulation problem fixed now. They are made by Uberti, same company that Colt had their Dragoons and Navies made by.

Cimmys come with a traditional and blackpowder frame style. Both can be used with modern smokeless loads. The difference is in the finish and method of removing the cylinder pin and the ejector button. The traditional is the same as modern Colt and Ruger's with a spring loaded crosspin. The blackpowder cylinder pin is held in place by a screw in the front of the frame like the early Model P Colt.
I have both and much prefer the traditional. The screw is a PITA.

Another choice: I have an "American Arms" Regulator model. This is also made by Uberti. Not as nicely fitted and finished as Cimmeron's, it does shoot quite well and has very good sight regulation. May not be available anymore.

Taurus is now producing a SA with modern lockwork and safeties, only in .357 Mag for now it seems.
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=466&category=Revolver

gunplumber
May 23, 2008, 10:13
USFA is the best. I have a pair of ubertis, but had previously returned 3 of them to get these two that work well. 2 had bad timing and one soft metal - the firing pinwould drive metal forward fromt he firing pin hole.

If I could do it again (buying for historical accuracy) , I'd have spent the extra $$ on the USFA. But for pure utility, today I'd probably get the ruger new vaqueros which were not available at the time I bought the ubertis. not as historically accurate, but for guns that I drop in the arena - and the reversible cylinders, and being able to make a heavier trigger pull (I don't want a 2# pull when I'm at a full gallop).

USFA makes some real nice models for shooting at the range and hanging on the wall - absolutely gorgeous. but why pay extra for fancy blue if they are working guns? The first thing I did on my ubertis was to artificially "wear" the finish. This eliminated the emotional trauma of dropping them in the arena during practice.

When I come back from a day on the trail, they are covered with dust and twigs.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/finish/agesaa.jpg

lew
May 23, 2008, 10:40
Awesome. Just what I needed to know. Much appreciated. :whiskey:

SmokeEater2
May 23, 2008, 12:21
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/SmokeEater_photos/CimarronModelP.jpg

Both of these are Cimmy's. The 5 1/2 in. bbl'd (wood grips) is about 6 or 7 years old and chambered in .45 Colt plus a second cylinder in .45 acp.
The other one was made this year (rubber grips) and is .45 Colt only. It is finished better than the older one and shoots to point of aim with 255 grain lead standard pressure loads. I have Colt SAA's but these get carried alot more since I don't worry about scratching these up. The newest one gets carried a lot this time of year with shot load for snakes. :skull:

lew
May 23, 2008, 15:01
Great lookin' shooters, guys.:bow:

pjpjr
May 23, 2008, 22:35
Originally posted by lew
Great lookin' shooters, guys.:bow:
Here is one of my USFA Rodeo in 45 LC.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i100/pjpjr/USFirearms001.jpg

Brian in MN
May 24, 2008, 09:50
I had a USFA back when they still had the word Patent in their name. The nickel peeled off the muzzle after the first six rounds and I had three parts break in one year. I have two Colts and one Beretta. Never had a part break on any of them. The USFA are hands down the prettiest single action out there but I am a bit suspicious of their quality after my experience.

You might take a look at the new Berettas. They have the transfer bar making them safe for six rounds and they are priced fairly decent.

gunplumber
May 24, 2008, 09:55
I had a customer shipped a Colt SAA from their custom shop. It came with no cylinder base pin installed.

Another customer ordered a colt from colt. You could slide a folded piece of paper between the barel and the ejector rod housing. Absolute garbage.

lew
May 24, 2008, 11:10
Originally posted by pjpjr

Here is one of my USFA Rodeo in 45 LC.

Way too clean for my tastes.:biggrin:

I think Cimarron's the way to go. The price is good, and the revolvers are pretty close to the originals. Plus I'll be able to spend a little more on ammo.

Brian in MN
May 24, 2008, 19:01
Originally posted by gunplumber

Another customer ordered a colt from colt. You could slide a folded piece of paper between the barel and the ejector rod housing. Absolute garbage.

Wow, I new that they were slipping but I have never seen a Colt that bad. I like the guns from about 20 years ago. They are still really nice shooters but not old enough to be spendy collectables. They are also common enough that it isn't too tough to find what you are looking for.

I only recently picked up the Beretta. I have only shot it once. It was a bright sunny day and the nickle finish made the sights into a huge glare and as a result I was flopping them in all over creation. Next time the black Sharpie is making the trip to the range. Other than the glare issue I am really liking it. The fit & finish seems a bit nicer than the typical spaghetti single action and I like being able to safely load six rounds.

Have any of you guys owned any of the Italian lever guns in .45 Colt? How do they run? I have a M92 Winchester but I don't like the idea of mixing .45 Colt and .44-40 in the same shooting day. My single actions are .45 Colt. I wouldn't mind owning a 73 carbine in .45.

SmokeEater2
May 25, 2008, 13:14
Brian, I have one of the Cimarron '73 lever guns. I've had it for several years and I'm pretty fond of it. It's accurate and smooth with standard pressure loads.

Brian in MN
May 26, 2008, 09:29
Is it in .45?