PDA

View Full Version : SBR FACTS and TIPS

wolfer
May 18, 2008, 10:48
I'm gonna be doing somemore AK and FAL builds soon and have been collecting parts and now i'm about ready to start buying some receivers. I'm planning on doing some of them as SBR's....below is a few questions i need answered and i need hard facts.....here we go.

#1 The fals and ak's i build as SBR's DO NOT require US compliant parts. Is this TRUE? and whats the deal with that?

#2 When filling out the application..in the barrel length area can you put down a range of lengths? example barrel length:7-15 inches. That way its possible to change things up later if i get bored and not have to redo all the paper work?? Or can i just put a minimal length and be legal to make it longer but not shorter?

#3 The overall length....whats the deal on folders? Say i want to SBR a Polish underfolder to make a krink wanna be?

#4 Caliber field....can i list several differant calibers or can i get by with "multi caliber" or does it plainly have to be a certin caliber? I'd like the option to change calibers later.

Basically i want register my SBR's so i'm not locked in on what i can do to them...is this possible? I'm just trying to be smart and learn the tricks of the trade and save myself some $$$ in the future.

Facts Please
Thanks

partisan50
May 18, 2008, 14:10
#1 The fals and ak's i build as SBR's DO NOT require US compliant parts. Is this TRUE? and whats the deal with that?

Yes, NFA toys do not have to have compliant parts.

#2 When filling out the application..in the barrel length area can you put down a range of lengths? example barrel length:7-15 inches. That way its possible to change things up later if i get bored and not have to redo all the paper work?? Or can i just put a minimal length and be legal to make it longer but not shorter?

Over the years some have put a range of barrel lengths with no problems, but recently some forms have been kicked back with a barrel range. Generally speaking you would want to put the shortest barrel length that you will use. Keep in mind that you can change the barrel length whenever you want, but if it's a permanent change you are supposed to notify the ATF in writing of that permanent length, which is no big deal.

#3 The overall length....whats the deal on folders? Say i want to SBR a Polish underfolder to make a krink wanna be?

Usually you put down the extended length.

#4 Caliber field....can i list several differant calibers or can i get by with "multi caliber" or does it plainly have to be a certin caliber? I'd like the option to change calibers later.

Same thing as barrel length, some have put multi calibers down with no problems and some times it will be kicked back. Put down the main caliber that you will be shooting and that will be fine. Now, later on you decide to change calibers to due ammo problems or whatever you can write the ATF to make a permanent caliber change.

Basically i want register my SBR's so i'm not locked in on what i can do to them...is this possible? I'm just trying to be smart and learn the tricks of the trade and save myself some $$$ in the future.

THECARREAPER
June 01, 2008, 06:59
i have been messing with NFA stuff for years. my single best advice is to call the BATFE and speak to an Examiner.

the ones i have spoken to have been polite, and very helpful. they would rather you ask now, than have a "problem" later. i would not want to risk any Felony weapons charges on a misunderstanding .

i do understand its very helpful to ask other guys who know for their experience, but please be sure to speak to THE MAN when it comes down to the wire.

gunsmoke
June 01, 2008, 15:10
Originally posted by THECARREAPER

i do understand its very helpful to ask other guys who know for their experience, but please be sure to speak to THE MAN when it comes down to the wire.

Don't forget to take COPIUS DETAILED notes of any such telephone conversation including the names and titles of anyone you spoke with, numbers cakked, dates and times, precisely what you asked and precisely what the answer was.

Documentation of a lack of criminal intent can be worth 10-20 years times its weight in gold.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Lee Carpentieri
June 03, 2008, 04:02
Its better to get it in writing from Batfe, Because batfe can say they never said it in a court of Law. Its hard for them to Admit denial with a letter on their letter head in a court of Law. Everybody in the FFL/Sot2/3/7 business requests a letter from Batfe when it concerns questions and wants to play it safe.

perryturner
June 03, 2008, 07:11
When I started playing with NFA stuff, this cleared up some of my confusion: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

When I have specific questions about FALs, I ask them on the FAL files. When I have specific questions about NFA, I ask them here: http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi

YMMV