PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory SAR-4800: Questions

17tobyracing
May 17, 2008, 09:06
My first FN/FAL type rifle...

I just picked-up a Springfield Armory SAR-4800. It is marked "SAR 4800 Sporter" and "1005-SA-Match". It has a mock flash suppressor and a thumb-hole type stock with a recoil pad marked "Bell & Carlson". From what I can gather, this is the post-ban alternative to Springfield Armory's SAR-48 and was manufactured in Brazil by Imbel.

I am assuming that one of the post-ban requirements for importation was the removal of the pistol grip, hence the thumb-hole type stock. I am also assuming that this rifle will no-longer be legal if I replace the current thumb-hole type stock with a foreign surplus pistol grip and stock. Am I correct in my assumption?

Would this rifle be legal if I replace the thumb-hole type stock with an American Made "Section 922R compliant part" pistol grip, stock, and butt-plate/recoil pad?

Thanks.

hagar
May 17, 2008, 09:32
You need 6 parts to be compliant, 7 if you have a muzzle device. Add a US made hammer, trigger, sear and gas piston, plus the US made furniture, and you should be all set.

Brad
May 17, 2008, 19:48
They make a great 50.63 para clone...

If you purchase a US made DSA:

para lower ( W/ stock) and semi selector
pistol grip
para bolt carrier
gas piston
type 3 combo device
para top cover with the nose

Just add a FSE metric folding cocking lever and a Holland type rear sight.

Send it off to member Moses and have him shorten the barrel to 18 inches (17 5/8), and thread and re crown, if you want he can also do the para cut on the receiver...

This will give you a high quality factory built 50.63 style PARA for a fraction of the cost...

YMMV

B

K.O.A.M.
May 19, 2008, 08:09
For the cheapest route, put on the following:
hammer
trigger
sear
piston
pistol grip
floorplate
follower (if you can find them)

That way, you can use original Imbel furniture on it. If you need to get a combo device, get one of Gunplumber's US made Belgian Shorts.

AGG
May 20, 2008, 08:13
Sounds like a great build- pics upon completion, please!!! :D

Tony