PDA

View Full Version : .22 suppressor-which one?

GOVT1911
May 15, 2008, 09:35
I'm thinking about getting a .22 can that I can switch between a 10/22, Walther P22 and possibly an AR w/.22 conversion.

I've been reading a bunch of info online but most of it comes from manufacturers and to me, that's always a little bit suspect.

I've been thinking I want one that is made out of SS, but not set on it. I would like it to be able to be disassembled for cleaning since .22 is dirty.

I don't want to spend $1000 on it, but longevity and performance rank higher in my eyes than just price.

What do ya'll have and how do ya like'em?

I went to silencertests.com but can't get any pages to load for some reason??

Stranger
May 15, 2008, 09:53
TAC65. Works great. Easy to disassemble and clean. INEXPENSIVE ($200). Great customer service.

Artful
May 15, 2008, 10:11
You have to register with both Silencertalk.com and Silencerresearch.com to see the information due to 'bot' activity causing problems.

I have a TAC-65 which works well, the same company make SS cans, one for for full auto use.
Quest
http://www.tacticalinc.com/quest-stainless-steel-premiumbrlightweight-suppressor-p-552.html
Diamond
http://www.tacticalinc.com/diamond-stainless-steel-premium-fullauto-22lr-suppressor-p-585.html

www.silencerresearch.com has a nice comparison of a bunch of different 22LR cans. :wink:
http://www.silencerresearch.com/free_22lr_silencer_reviews.htm :shades:

gunplumber
May 15, 2008, 10:14
There is something to be said for a unit that can be disassembled for cleaning. Gemtech/Dater claims it is unnecessary, and can cause "damage" but I don't see the rationale in this concept.

GOVT1911
May 15, 2008, 13:42
Thanks, I'll look at the TAC-65

goldshlagerxx
May 15, 2008, 22:32
Take a look at the SWR Spectre. There is no question that it will be quieter than a TAC-65. It can be taken apart, but is more $$.

rocko
May 16, 2008, 11:57
I've got an Outback II, and am generally happy with it, but if I were to do it again, I'd look into one that can be disassembled. I run an old Coastal 9mm suppressor with my m11/9 subcal conversion and it is pretty amazing at the crap that builds up. I literally chisel chunks of lead off of the blast baffle. Dater's "famous" quote for this is along the lines of "you don't clean your muffler, do you?", but I also don't pay a $200 tax for every muffler, need to jump through legal process/hoops to get it, and it is doubtful that the gov't will make new manufacture illegal any time in the future.

Even more important now, IMHO, with the recent ruling from the ATF stating that manufacturers cannot replace the tube as a repair w/o paying a new tax. Used to be that some manufactures with sealed designs would simply renumber a new can with your serial if yours got leaded beyond salvaging - of course you'd need to pay for the can, but not the stamp. This isn't possible anymore.

I haven't looked at price/performance very thoroughly, but the new monolithic core designs intrigue me. Basically, the baffle stack is all one unit - pop the end cap off, pull out the core, and that's it. Improper reassembly is the oft-given reason for having a sealed can, and that sort of design pretty much precludes that possibility. I believe the AAC Prodigy and some small company that makes one called the Checkmate (owner/manufacturer is Green0 on ar15.com, I believe). I saw that Gemtech's new design for the GSG-5 SD clone uses the same as well, but don't know if they offer it as a standalone can.

In general, I'd say with any suppressor, buy the best you can. Don't be cheap, it's yours for life as they have little resale value. Plus, you're paying the same $200 tax if you buy a $150 can vs. a $300 can, so the $300 can really isn't twice as much - at least that's how I look at it.

Vorpal_weapon
May 16, 2008, 16:57
I have a Tactical Innovations Quest and am very happy with it. It is very well made and came in a nifty velvet-lined wooden box. It was purchased through a good friend (type 7 SOT) for quite a bit less than msrp. Artful supplied a link above.

Based on his considerable experience, my friend highly recommended that I get a can that could be disassembled for use with .22 rimfire. Considering the hassle and transfer tax involved in getting a can, I figured it was going to be a lifetime tool and opted for the stainless model. Aluminum is considerably more delicate and not tolerant of some solvents. I paid a little extra to have it coated with the black matte ceramic finish. I felt that a muzzle can was the most flexible sort for my wants. I have threaded barrels for a Ruger 10-22 and a HS Sharpshooter-M. That lets me have a suppressed rifle or pistol with little fuss.

I have shot my Quest side by side with other .22 cans like the AAC pilot the differences in apparent sound level were indistinguishable to me. On the other hand, integrally-suppressed .22s I've shot seemed noticeably quieter. I would like to get S&H to build an integrally suppressed 22/45 for me at some point in the future. If I had it to do over again, Id still buy the Quest.

Stranger
May 18, 2008, 10:11
If it had been available when I was looking at the TAC65, I would have gone with the Quest. As VW stated the Al is softer than SS and can be galled pretty easily if you aren't careful while cleaning it.

gman552
May 20, 2008, 18:38
Another thumbs-up for the Tactical Innovations Quest suppressor (http://www.tacticalinc.com/quest-stainless-steel-premiumbrlightweight-suppressor-p-552.html).

It works very well on my 10/22, CZ 452 rifle and Ruger MK II pistol.

Stainless steel and can be disassembled and cleaned - if you buy it, make sure you buy two of the 3 lug endcap driver tools for Quest, Stratus, Diamond (http://www.tacticalinc.com/endcap-driver-toolbrfor-quest-stratus-diamond-p-554.html).

Rocko - about Dater's quote about not cleaning your car's muffler above, you could also add, "...and I don't shoot unjacketed chunks of lead at up to 1200 feet per second through it." :rolleyes:

THECARREAPER
May 28, 2008, 16:30
i have an SWR Warlock, a Laurer Predator, and a YHM Mite. i switch them between my pile of modified .22's, bot rifles and handguns.

my best advice is to buy more than one. my P22 and my Ruger .22 pistol sound and function differently with different cans. i also prelube the inside of all my cans with teflon wire pulling gel, and it makes a difference in sound and eases cleanup. i have 2 modded ruger 10/22's, and a marlin m60, as well as 3 bolt actions, all set up for cans.

different cans, for different firearms. my 9mm cobra goes from my glock, to my uzi, to my taurus pt92, and works great. the .22 cans seem to be a bit different for some reason.

my .02, all NFA laws apply.

GOVT1911
May 29, 2008, 07:41
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still shopping around and seeing what's what.

Johnny Witt
June 17, 2008, 01:52
It's hard to beat a SWR Spectre. I have one and I shoot it a lot on full auto. I like the ingenious tool that pushes the baffle stack out when I shoot it so many times that it doesn't want to come apart easily. I can usually go about a 1000 or more rounds before I have to clean it. It's really quiet and durable. Drawbacks are that it's a little heavy on a handgun because it's SS. I like a muzzle heavy handgun myself, so it doesn't really bother me. I wholeheartedly recommend this suppressor.

Azrial
June 17, 2008, 03:32
Originally posted by gunplumber
There is something to be said for a unit that can be disassembled for cleaning. Gemtech/Dater claims it is unnecessary, and can cause "damage" but I don't see the rationale in this concept.
I have never understood the argument. The most complex suppressor I have ever seen was no where near as complex as most firearms. I have seen few of them that I was not comfortable disassembling and cleaning.

A suppressor for which the manufacturer claims cleaning is unnecessary is like a "maintenance free" car battery. No such thing.

gewehrmonkey
June 27, 2008, 15:28
Happy TAC65 user here. If I were getting another can, which I might, I would probably opt for a Stainless version next time. I haven't had any negative experience using an aluminum can, but I am really glad I got one that I can take apart. I am also happy with the light weight. It makes the Mark II point and swing like a shotgun, at least in my perception.

Jen
June 28, 2008, 07:40
I've got a Yankee Hill Mite and love it. Easy to take apart, easy to clean and is pretty damned quiet. They make one in stanless in both a thread on and qd mount.

Andy the Aussie
July 05, 2008, 02:34
Up untill the 1980s .22 "sound moderators" were not illegal/licenced and VERY common. I used one on various 22 bolt and semi rifles and on a Brno Model 2 I would say they were one of the most fun things around. They made bunny hunting a dream...!!!

Andy:beer: