PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Power Mag question

panzer
May 11, 2008, 18:25
Recently fell into a nice FN Hi-power 9mm, came with 6 mags. The mags I have never seen this type before. They are parked 13 rd, with alloy follower and every piece is marked prominently with an " R " any Idea on the origin of these? The floor plate has a little tab on the back and a plate on the inside.

Dan44
May 11, 2008, 19:51
Made in India for their Inglis copy of the Hi Power.

panzer
May 11, 2008, 20:20
any issues with these? Do I keep them or dump them for something else? So what is the best Mag out there for a BHP 9mm?

Para Driver
May 11, 2008, 20:27
only way to know is to test fire them.. may be gold, may not...
I wouldn't trust ANY gun with untested mags..

panzer
May 11, 2008, 20:31
Packed in the bag for tommorows range trip, cleaned and numbered..... ;)

Any suggestions otherwise on mags? Meccar or whatever were great in my old .40 BHP.

newfalguy101
May 11, 2008, 21:02
seems like the mag I got with my original Inglis pistol were parked with a steel ( probably alloy ) follower.

I dont remember any stampings on mine, its been a while since I looked at it though.

I am not 100% sure and I cant remember where its at just now to check.......I know I have seen them at shows, dont recall if they carried a premium or not though.

As stated before, try em out, if they work, great, if not, replace em.

Mec Gar makes the factory mags if I recall correctly, and I have had good luck with aftermarkets as well, the mag is not overly complex, its pretty hard to mess up bad enough it wont work.

daemon
May 11, 2008, 21:35
i have 7 mags for my hi power, from 5 different manufacturer's. All work flawlessly with ball and HP 9mm. The hi power is NOT a finicky eater and any/all mags appear to work without issue. My .02

panzer
May 11, 2008, 21:39
Thats what I am thinking, it is pretty hard to F up.... but I have been suprised before...

Anyone tried the SA 17 rd's or the 15 rd euro mags like CDNN has advertized?

lew
May 11, 2008, 23:48
I've heard good things about the SA 17 rounders.

That said, MecGar's as good as it gets, which is to say, most excellent. I do second daemon's notion: the Hi Power is none too finicky about magazines.

EX1
May 12, 2008, 01:00
Hello I have several of the KRD Argentine 17rd mags and they all work great. Its a real pain to load them the first time but after a few times they are fine. Thanks EX1

bill3542
May 12, 2008, 09:47
+ 1 on the KRD SA 17 rd mags, they work great in mine.

CRShooter32
May 12, 2008, 12:50
MecGar is OEM, just do not have "factory markings" on mags in their own packaging, which brings down the cost. Just got some MecGars from Midway, 13 rnd mags, half the cost of FN/Browning packaged mags. Proof is on Sig mags, all my factory Sig 229 mags are stamped MecGar, made in Italy, just small stamping than the SigSauer mark.

panzer
May 12, 2008, 16:44
Had one bad mag that liked to lock the slide back, but the rest were good to go. Have to look into the SA Mags.... Thanks Guys!

Brian in MN
May 13, 2008, 09:15
Originally posted by panzer
Had one bad mag that liked to lock the slide back, but the rest were good to go. Have to look into the SA Mags.... Thanks Guys!

Are you sure the mag was causing the slide to lock back? Sounds more like the detent in the shaft of the slide stop was failing. There shouldn't be anything touching the slide stop when the mag is loaded. I have half a dozen of the Indian mags and they all work great.

panzer
May 13, 2008, 15:55
I will have to check that.... good point. I did notice the lips on the problem mag were a hair splayed open and the rounds sat crookedly in them. Might need to adjust the lips a bit.

troubleticket
May 15, 2008, 08:31
Speaking of mags, has anyone seen any .40 cal BHP mags floating around?

I am having a heck of a time finding them for sale. MecGars preferred.

Any help would be appreciated.

panzer
May 15, 2008, 16:25
CDNN has them. You can Mod a SA 17 rd To hold more than 10 of .40 I have heard. but that was long ago during the "ban days" never tried it myself.

troubleticket
May 17, 2008, 16:46
CDNN has planty of 9mm HP mags, but no 40 cal. I ask
everytime I talk to them(about avery week).

I get the weekly specials email and check that for 40 BHP mags.

I am wondering if I can mod 9 mags, after all, it is only 1 mm.

Any thoughts?

panzer
May 17, 2008, 16:48
Brownells has th .40 mags. If you ha a 9mm mag side by side with a .40 to compare, go for it. I have heard it works.

firedog
May 18, 2008, 16:02
Does anybody have the SA 17rnd mags in stock?

panzer
May 18, 2008, 20:43
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/hip9mm17blun.html

CDNN

I just picked up 3 MecGar 15 rd's from he Marietta Gun Show today. Paid more than CDNN but got them right there and is less than shipping.

firedog
May 20, 2008, 07:20
Originally posted by panzer
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/hip9mm17blun.html

CDNN

I just picked up 3 MecGar 15 rd's from he Marietta Gun Show today. Paid more than CDNN but got them right there and is less than shipping.

Thanks!

panzer
May 20, 2008, 18:18
Got to look out for the HP family members. ;)

Plus you are a Filer, so your already good to go.