PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about this r1a1?

redbaron
May 09, 2008, 09:19
Looking to buy a Century r1a1 and after reading about them on the forums here, I still have a few questions.

Here's two of the better pics of it that I have. Can you tell from them whether it is inch, metric or some combination?

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/asmith80/pix2240431968.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/asmith80/pix2240431859.jpg

The seller says he thinks it's got the widow's peak feed ramp (he's a truck driver and is on the road at the moment). He also says he's fired 50 rounds through it with no mishaps.

This is my first FAL so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't mind doing some minor tweaking to it to get it working right, but I also don't want to get in over my head.

lew
May 09, 2008, 11:05
That looks like a metric magazine. Ask the buyer what the front magazine looks like. If it's a rectangular protrusion, it's inch, and if it's a thumbnail shape, it's metric.

ce
May 09, 2008, 12:02
You might like it better if you slept together.

Worth $700

She's a beauty.

Buy it.

redbaron
May 09, 2008, 13:40
Hookay, took the plunge and I bought it. I feel pretty good about this, so we'll see what I get when it comes in. If there's a problem with it I'll blame ce, since he's the one who talked me into it :wink: . Actually I think I had already talked myself into it, I was just looking for any excuse not to do it.:biggrin:

I've also got a MAS 49/56 in .308 coming in that's been modified to take FAL mags, so hopefully they'll both take the same type.

ce
May 09, 2008, 14:54
Stiff upper lip, pip pip, cheerio, and all that sort of rot, old boy.

Who dares, wins, eh wot?

It looks like a good build, a reparked R1, with the grenade launcher gas plug, (ditch that, it's too cumbersome, and besides, you think .308 is expensive, wait'll you go to buy grenades) maybe STG handguards, if they're metal, maybe even a Belgian barrel (!)and if it worked for 50 rounds, it'll work for 50,000, otherwise it wouldn't have worked for 5.

Get out and shoot it, set the gas, determine the zero, observe the breech for brass shaving, and generally assess its overall condition, and let us know how she does.

Congratulations and keep reading and inquiring, we areall proud of you for not douching out and buying a DSA.

Century R1A1, the very best for the very least, because sometimes good enough is all you get.

mortismaker
May 10, 2008, 09:09
I have one of those. It is a "newer" Century with the "newer" non-unibrow ramps.

Mine had a US made barrel with really cheap Century furniture. I swapped out for an Argy chrome barrel, falcon hts, tapco t48 handguard, tapco piston (century was the two piece one), Tapco (steel) charging handle, Tapco pistol grip, and Belgian buttstock.

The barrel was fine, I just wanted to put a chrome lined one on before the prices went up.

Shoots like a dream. I love this rifle. (Maybe more than my m1a)

I would also suggest a different gas plug though. I need to get one too.

Regards,
Mortis...

redbaron
May 12, 2008, 09:44
Just got an email back from the seller and he confirmed that it does have the widow's peak feed ramp. Looks like I'm in business.

As to the grenade sight/gas plug which should I go for? I don't even know if this rifle is mostly inch or metric or if that even matters.

Plus, anybody know of a good source for some nice wood furniture? I like how the wood and metal look on the CETMEs and I've seen some on other FALs and I think it looks pretty nice.

GOVTMOD
May 12, 2008, 21:31
It's a metric SA kit Century, one of the later ones and they work OK. You might have a few teething/break in problems. The butt on mine cracked before I even shot it. Replacing the cracked butt on my R1A1 got me on the road of transforming it into a G1.

Saga here: G1 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=186128)

But I made amends by building this one: R1 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214613)

I have some synthetic butts you can have if you are looking for a home for that grenade sight gas plug if you get it replaced. I hated mine when I first saw it but I've really grown to appreciate them.

redbaron
June 02, 2008, 10:44
Just picked up the rifle from the shop yesterday (after an excruciating 8 day waiting period...thanks Maryland) and it's just like the guy advertised. I already want to start swapping some parts out to make the gun more my own, so here goes with some more questions:

Want to put on a wood buttstock, can anybody tell me if inch buttstocks fit on a metric receiver? I seem to see more inch buttstocks for sale, and cheaper too, than metric ones. If not, anybody know of a good place to get a metric one for a reasonable price?

I also want to get a new pistol grip and I like my friend's hogue grips that he has on his AR. Does anybody make something like that for the FAL?

Edit: Looking around the net and I found an Israeli heavy barrel and light barrel wood buttstock. Aside from the price, anybody know the difference between the two? And in the description it says no hardware, so what hardware would I need to get?

moses
June 02, 2008, 14:30
Go to gunthings.com and gunpartsguy .com and you cAN CHECK THEIR PRICES ON THE COMPLETE metric buttstocks

Looks like the plastic century stg handgaurds and a US made green mountain barrel BTW

GOVTMOD
June 02, 2008, 16:46
The heavy Izzy butt is cut at the back for a flip open butt plate like on a M-14. The light barrel just has a plain steal butt plate. The butt on your gun is a US part so in order to remain in compliance you either need to replace it with a US part or replace another part on your gun with a US part that is "on the list". The charging handle would be a good candidate.

I'm not sure if Hogue makes a FAL grip but there are alot of grips like the Falcon ergo grip out there.

redbaron
June 03, 2008, 11:41
Looks like the plastic century stg handgaurds

It's definately got cheapo plastic handguards. Took it out to the range yesterday and I could feel the handguards flexing along the seam whenever I would grip the rifle. Just ordered a used STG stock set from DSA with the metal handguards, so we'll see how that turns out.

US made green mountain barrel

Don't know anything about those barrels. Seems to shoot pretty well.

Taking it out again today to shoot up the rest of the ammo I bought and so I'll have some more brass to reload.