PDA

View Full Version : M60 Q

StoneyCreekMrMauser
May 08, 2008, 16:33
You guys would probably know this better than anybody. What is the part of an M60 (or any MG) where the cartridge belt goes into? Is it a feed ramp, breech, porto del entrar, etc? We couldn't figure that one out in my class on Vietnam and my instructor (a VN vet) was an artilleryman and isn't really familiar with peashooters.

kerplode
May 08, 2008, 16:41
Feed Tray?

Opie
May 08, 2008, 21:39
shoot andresere a pm; he's prett smart about that stuff and has been around full-auto stuff a long time.

GOVT1911
May 09, 2008, 05:39
The belt rides on the feed tray. The part that hinges up to load and when closed holds the belt in place against the feed pawls is appropriatly called the "feed tray cover".

andresere
May 09, 2008, 08:00
Right on the money. Only thing I could add is that on some machine guns, the feed tray is fixed, some it is not. Easier example is the difference between the M2HB and the M240 series. With the M240, the feed tray can be raised up out of the way during loading and clearing. It's belt holding pawls are all in the cover. M2 the feed tray is fixed in the forward part of the reciever with it's holding pawls mixed between the cover and the receiver. M2 is easier to convert to right hand feed from left because of this. A 240 needs a right hand feed tray and right hand cover to be converted, whereas an M2 just needs to be put back together backwards. Hope this helps. Dunno about M60, as we used the M73 prior to the M240 on tanks. I can tell you the M73 was a POS. I can also tell you that if you have your hand in an M85 .50 cal and someone closes the cover, the belt holding pawls will make you get stitches......:uhoh:

L Haney
May 09, 2008, 18:25
I got a big hoot in small arms repair school at the difference between the feed mechanisms of the M-60 and the (at the time) MG-240. They do the same thing, with the same belted ammo, just took about 50 more parts for the M-60 feed system to get it done. Some of that stuff looked like the internals of a sewing machine. :rofl:

andresere
May 09, 2008, 21:07
My experience with the M60 was packing it at PLDC. No one told how to load it, so I loaded it like an M240 (closed bolt). Charged it, packed it for about 2 miles of Loiusiana swampland, got into a firefight, pulled the trigger and heard a loud clack, as it immediately had a FTF. My A gunner took it from me, as my beeper was going off steady (dead). What a POS.:biggrin:

panzer
May 09, 2008, 21:37
Well, seeing as I may have been the LAST person on here to use one in Combat, ( 2004-2005) and being a Master Gunner and SI, I think I can shed a little light on it. Feed tray is the small part the feed tray cover is the big part that goes over it.... ;) One of the biggest no-no's on the 60 is to close the feed tray cover on a forward bolt then charge it... Breaks the feeder mechanism inside the feed tray cover, badly. The 240 series, has a spring loaded roller assembly tht will allow it to be closed on a forward bolt, as it gets pushed down and when charged, will pop into the track at the rear of the bolt's travel. Very user friendly. Older then a M60, and much better. We did a thing called "half load" I developed over there. ( well maybe it has been done, but it was new to us... who knows...) basically you clear the weapon, then charge it, bolt to the rear and place on safe. Next insert the belt through the CLOSED feed tray opening until you hear 2 clicks. Now, when you fly ino the test fire area, you just place on fire, drop the bolt once and charge it to the rear and she's ready to fire as the pawls will advance a cartridge into the feed slot. A lot easier than trying to open the cover and load a belt at 150 knots.... We lost a few feed tray covers due to this... My M60 ran flawlessly for 12 months and over 50k rounds. ( yes, I did, about 1k a week of firing. you get good real fast at that rate... ;) )

Interestlingly the Britts in Basara had M60's as well in the Lynx. They had super cool reflex sights on thiers and loaded 1-1 tracer ball. When we told them we were 1-4, the guy stared at me ad said " how do you hit anything?? and with no refles?? " I replied with "1000 rounds a week, minimum... " and we both laughed. They called the 1-1 mix the "wombat load" wierd. Musta got it from the aussies. The best part was the pilots they had were all Flight SGT's, enlisted pilots. Awsome. Those guys could fly better than any of our guys... no doubt....

Here I am with my M60 getting ready to make a run to babylon. You know with all the cold weather gear, it was 70 degrees and I was freezing. I hate that F$%^ing country...

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/panzer1973/DSCN1603.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/panzer1973/keepingwatchagain.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p34/panzer1973/DSCN0052.jpg

StoneyCreekMrMauser
May 12, 2008, 20:44
Groovy. Thanks guys!

Lee Carpentieri
May 30, 2008, 02:24
Panzer, The half load you described was done long before you were born and we called it half cocked back in the day in Vietnam. The M60 is a direct desendent of the German MG42 internally and modified into the M60 from Rock Island Arsenal back in about 1955. The only bad thing I remember about the M60 was the metal double ended clip that held the trigger pack onto the weapon on the right side would break and if no spares were available we would use bailing wire or trip wire to fix it. IT WAS FIELD EXPEDIENCY AT ITS BEST. The British Lynx will fly circles around the UH1 and the UH60 series of rotor winged aircraft. But doesnt have the lift or mission capalility of the UH60 for sure. But the Lynx is really fast. The Brit's have used Non Coms since WWII as pilots. If your still down range in the dirt box and see a rag head aiming a RPG at you dust his ass. Take care and stay alert.

panzer
May 30, 2008, 07:05
I never knew it had been done before, but it was new to us. ;) The little tab on the side for the trigger pins is a PITA! we just safety wired ours and hoped for the best. I am no longer there, but when I go back it will be with the M240H, a MUCH better platform.... Got to love the Lynx and the enlisted pilots. thank YOU for your service in Viet Nam' :bow:

gunplumber
May 30, 2008, 10:15
grenade trip wire. still have a roll. SOP for the pig. In normal carry, that clip would just wipe off on my LCE.

Snap linked the T&E to the harness - I like your bungee.

panzer
May 30, 2008, 10:27
Without the bungee it is damn near impossable to hold it at over 100 kts, we averaged around 145 kts or so. 150+ was easy but you started getting into the 30 minute TGT limits... Learned the bungee trick from the Brits and the 47 guys. without it your arms would be smoked in 30 minutes. One of the best things about the 240H is the aerodynamics of it. you can steer it one handed at 140 kts easily. MUCH better!

gunplumber
May 30, 2008, 10:30
"git some!"

rat tat tat tat tat

How can you shoot women and children?

Its easy - you don't lead them as much.

"git some!"

rat tat tat tat tat

If they run, they've VC. If they stand still, they're well disciplined VC.

v188
May 30, 2008, 18:39
I've got an M60, and while i love the original version I had in the service, I've converted mine (partially) to the E4 version. Much better pulling power on the belt and it no longer matter if you have the bolt back or not when you load it up. No more broken feeder mechanisms. I've got to add a few more parts to make it over fully.

I'm a big fan of the old 60. I wouldn't be interested in buying an FN even if new transferrables were available.

I really would like a BAR though. I'll just keep saving I guess.

panzer
May 30, 2008, 18:43
Hows that wrench working out for you? ;)

If you had our M60D's, you would take an FN..... Now an E4-D that might have been great! I guess its an application thing.