PDA

View Full Version : Just shot Corrosive thru the YugoMauser

Heat
April 27, 2008, 19:48
Just went to the range, took the AK and the Yugo Mauser...had some old 1949 turkish 8mm, 40 rds...shot that thru the Mauser and it was very accurate and surefire..cleaned the barrel out with hot, soapy water then Hoppes #9...should that suffice? It is now clean as a whistle!

Munster30
April 27, 2008, 22:10
Hot soapy water should've leaned out the corrosive salts. I would run an oiled patch, followed by a dry one through the barrel as well.

Mebsuta
April 27, 2008, 22:38
In before the Windex guys.:)

davedude
April 27, 2008, 22:43
hot soapy water is da shiz! then anoint with number 9 an you are golden! I leave mine all glopped up with number 9. Then clean with brake cleaner just before shooting so there is nothing in the bore.

after fourty rounds of yugo heavy ball my shoulder gets a bit twitchy and I am ruined for the day! Today was different though-I shot about 25 rounds of my reduced cast boolit loads-- much more pleasurable than the full house surp loads and very accurate. Surprised me again.

Never shot any turk but I heard it was stout!

Dave Dude

xtremerange
April 28, 2008, 10:35
OMG the worlkd is going to end. This will be written of for months by those that say corrosive ammo instantly destroys your firearm.

Seriously though you are probably fine. The only trouble I had was that I once forgot to take off the compensator from an AK74. Got rust on the threads. Not bad though but it taught me a lesson.

ftierson
April 28, 2008, 11:16
Hot, soapy water and then clean and protect as normal...

Forrest

abbynormal
May 04, 2008, 18:21
At the range when shooting corrosive, I run a couple of patches down the barrel and leave them shy of the muzzle to form a plug and then pore Windex or ammonia down the barrel and let it sit for 15-20 mins. Then brush the bore good. When I get home, I clean the bore with a standard bore cleaner and have never had a problem. The ammonia is good at removing copper deposits in the barrel too!

lew
May 04, 2008, 23:31
I will beat the next moron that suggests Windex or ammonia.:aug:

Yer barrel iz gonna rust, yo.

Super B
May 16, 2008, 16:02
How about good old USGI bore cleaner from WWII. It is DESIGNED to remove corrosive salts....

Munster30
May 17, 2008, 09:29
http://www.mg0815.com/0815clean.htm

Kind of technical, but what do you expect from a Chemist?
Corrosive Ammo Cleaning
This is just a rundown on the reasons for cleaning your your barrel/lock/barrel extension and feedblock with hot water and soap.
First - the reason corrosive ammo corrodes is due to the deposition of strong oxidants in the barrel (Chlorates, usually) . These oxidants are inorganic salts, and in the presence of water will undergo a redox reaction with the steel of your barrel (without water both the steel and salts just sit there, dormant - as is demonstrated by leaving a 1919 barrel with 1400 rds of Turk 8mm uncleaned in AZ, no water, 3 months later, no rust).
How many remember their 101 chem, or organic chem class?? There is a term that is invaluable when running experiments in these classes "LIKE DISSOLVES LIKE." Inorganic salts are extremely POLAR (there are large + and - "ends" of the molecule) - water is also extremely POLAR (two positive hydrogens on one side, a big ol' oxygen on the other, with extra electrons, creating a negative side). Oils and solvents such as hexane/toluene are NON POLAR. They are usually a string of carbons with hydrogens spaced symmetrically around them (ie no unbalanced charge around any point). These non polar solvents cannot dissolve polar salts, and are not miscible in polar solvents (ie, if you already have water and salts in your barrel, washing them with non polar solvents will not remove either water nor salt).
I, being a chemist, and a gun nut, have done a bunch of reading on this stuff, I wanted to make a "Corrosive ammo cleaner" and looked up the solubility constants of these common oxidizing salts in various solvents. Guess what? None even come close to that of HOT WATER. There is absolutely no comparison between hot water and any other solvent. Add some soap to the hot water to cut through the grease (to help miscibility of oil and grease in water... want some background on micells?) - allow to dry, toss in the wife's oven (or buy a surplus oven and leave it in your garage, as I do... for moly coating, drying guns etc etc). Then clean the gun in exactly the same way you usually have (hoppes etc).

lew
May 17, 2008, 10:18
Originally posted by Super B
How about good old USGI bore cleaner from WWII. It is DESIGNED to remove corrosive salts....

Water's cheaper and does the same thing.:wink:

MACV
May 17, 2008, 10:24
Originally posted by lew
I will beat the next moron that suggests Windex or ammonia.:aug:

Yer barrel iz gonna rust, yo.

Try Massingil. It even has a nozzle that fits in the barrel. Also makes your barrel smell fresh and clean.

lew
May 17, 2008, 10:50
Massingil to beat the morons? All is clear now. Thanks.

:D

panzer
May 17, 2008, 16:47
Ballistol and water mixed. Too easy, and you just spray out the barrel before you leave and then clean as normal when you get home.