PDA

View Full Version : broke my gas ring

Harpoon
April 24, 2008, 13:32
So I snapped a lug off my gas ring and it's *still* stuck! I've had it soaking in PB Blaster for 2 days now.
Here's the thing --- this is not a new build, I've had the ring off several times.
The problem? RUST!

Now, this is weird .... I noticed rust around the gas ring and tube probably a year ago. Thought, hmm that's weird, oh well I haven't shot it in a while I guess it just got some moisture and got corroded.

I cleaned it up and lubed the outside and figured it was good.
I've shot it sporadically in the last year or so (been using my AR's Ciener kit mostly), and it's always been South African ammo.

Well, I go to get it out earlier this week and there is a ton of rust on the ring and the tube, and blossoming on the outside of the barrel in the same spot.

Now, I clean my guns after I shoot 'em, but I don't make a habit of taking the hand guard off and disassembling the whole gas system. :(
SA isn't corrosive right?

I live in Wyoming so it's pretty dry here.

Anyway, so I wanted to take it off and clean it real good again and snapped the dang ring lug. Guess I need a new gas ring now, *when* I get the old one off! :O

AndyC
April 24, 2008, 13:37
Nope, SA's not corrosive.

cbr954fz1
April 24, 2008, 14:52
thank goodness i just bought 280rds of it. does the gas ring hold the front grips on? if so would'nt you have to take the barrel off? could the ring be tack welded?

Harpoon
April 24, 2008, 15:11
cbr don't worry about SA ammo, I don't really think that was the problem -- perhaps I never really cleaned off the rust I had last year like I thought I did.
Gas ring just holds the gas tube on, hand guards can be removed without removing it.

IanMor
April 26, 2008, 14:55
Sorry to hear about your rifle being bunged up. I have always made it standard operating procedure to strip down my gas system and clean it out after shooting it. Using a lot of surplus ball, I can't say for sure what is and what is not corrosive, so I just clean it like it's all corrosive. The gas system is the most fragile part of the operating system (technicaly the mag is, but I think you get my drift), so I always kid of dote over that part of the maintenance regimine.

Bolt2Bounce
April 26, 2008, 15:35
Are you talking about the gas regulator? For adjusting the amount of gas pressure that goes to the piston??? Sounds like some corrosive ammo got into your rifle at some point, or water ice/ snow etc... If you broke your old reg just get a new one from DSA, guns and things or the guns parts guy.. B2B

powermad
April 26, 2008, 15:56
Did you use some sort of foaming bore cleaner in the past?
I tried some outers and I did not plug the gas hole. It pretty much made taking the gas system apart a big PITA after it dried. But it was a greenish looking stuff that was left behind. I had to dig it out.

Harpoon
April 27, 2008, 01:45
I used some Hoppe's Elite at one point, but IIRC it isn't foaming.

Anyway, I'm away for a couple days now, so hopefully it'll soak good while I'm gone and I can get it off. Worst case I think I'll vise it and give it a tap tap tap with a chisel.

I'll pay more attention to that area in the future!

Chalk_2
April 27, 2008, 02:23
What type of rifle is this?

gunplumber
April 27, 2008, 11:11
air hammer with brass or wood head.

Harpoon
April 27, 2008, 12:53
> What type of rifle is this?

FAL, an Imbel imported by Pacific.

W.E.G.
April 27, 2008, 13:53
The IMBEL gas rings are NOTORIOUS for this failure.

I have long counseled anybody who would listen, and who owns a FAL built on an IMBEL front end to remove the gas knob and polish the gas block surfaces where the knob rides, and polish the inside of the gas knob where it rides on the gas block.

This can be done by using something like JB bore paste, and working the knob back-and-forth until the surfaces are smooth, or carefully using a dremel tool, or using some sort of emery paper. Even steel wool would probably do it.

If you wait until the knob is already seized on the gas block, (and in fact, many of the IMBEL kits came "pre-seized"), there is a very good chance you are gonna bust the knob if you fugk with it. Even then, its likely to just bust all by itself even if you DON'T fugk with it, if you acually use the rifle.

Just order two or three heavy-duty replacements from DSA, and move on.

Polish the surface on the gas block before you install your new knob.

You need to give that gas knob a shot of CLP or some sort of rust-preventative EVERY TIME before you put away the rifle. The area around the gas knob will burn-off any traces of rust-preventative anytime you fire the gun, and it will deposit a nice film of hygroscopic carbon in its place. You want rust? Neglect this step - you will have rust - no matter what ammo you shoot.

Imagine holding a blowtorch on a piece of steel, and then leaving the steel to sit without any rust-preventative measures. Tell me how you figure it won't rust.