PDA

View Full Version : 38 Special +Ps

1stTexan
April 21, 2008, 02:00
I also have a S&W 12-2 Airweight 1 7/8 barrel early to mid 70s. Like new. Is it ok to shoot +Ps ? By the 70s the alloy situation was worked out. I am thinking it might be ok. Advice needed.:?

1stTexan
April 21, 2008, 03:35
I think I found the answer to my question already. Here is what I have found so far Note: .38 Special ammunition is loaded to two pressure levels: standard pressure and +P. Standard pressure loads may be used in any .38 Special revolver, but +P loads should be fired extensively only in steel-frame .38 Special revolvers. Firing a few (under fifty) +P loads in your aluminum-framed .38 Special revolver will not destroy it or cause it to explode, but will damage your aluminum-framed revolver if you fire more than a hundred rounds. The main problem with carrying +P .38 Special loads in an aluminum-framed .38 Special revolver is that the kick is nasty and slows repeat shots. Thus I recommend standard pressure ammunition for aluminum-framed .38 Special revolvers, as it is much easier to score fast hits.

BUFF
April 22, 2008, 00:11
I have a couple of M-12-2's, a 2 and a 4 incher. I have shot several hundred Plus-P rounds, mostly the 158 grain lead SWC-HP, through each of them, and they are fine. I have shot probably 2,500 Plus-P's through a Model 642, also an aluminum frame S&W, plus that many standard pressure loads, and it is fine. A dozen rounds every so often won't do much of anything to your revolver. Just practice with standard pressure ammo most of the time.

Current Plus-P factory offerings from W-W, R-P and Federal aren't very warm. It is the specialty loaders (Buffalo Bore) and Plus-P-Plus stuff that you should watch out for.

L Haney
April 26, 2008, 17:19
I really like the 125 grain JHP +P .38 Special loads. I've still got a few boxes of the Norma loads that I use for carry. Zoom Zoom!