PDA

View Full Version : Is there a fixed supply of Poly/Norinco M14s's?


beerme
April 20, 2008, 14:28
Hi All!

Just wondering if the supply of Polytech/Norinco M14S rifles that are currently in the USA are in a state of 'That's all there is'. Seems like I heard that they haven't been imported for awhile.

Anyway, does anyone think that these rifles will have any increase in value due to the limited supply in the US?

TIA for your replies!

CHEERS!

:beer: me

Otis Treekiller
April 20, 2008, 14:38
They've already increased in value. I bought my Polytech about 10 years ago, NIB, for $425. Similar rifles today routinely bring $700 up on the auction sites.

2barearms
April 20, 2008, 18:53
The short answer is Yes. There were quite a few imported and the number
is quite high. Like OTK said they have gone up and for the most part are
well made. The large number of them has kept prices down to some degree
or other.

beerme
April 20, 2008, 20:15
Thank you for the replies!

2Beararms; you gave 'the short answer is...'...What's the 'long' answer...? just curious...

I am just wondering..sure there may be several tens of thousands, but, look at M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, etc...there were millions of them made and they seem to be commanding a higher and higher premium...does anyone think people might realize the m14s's are limited in supply thus causing a surge in price? (...doing my best 411man pitch:rolleyes: ).
Just speculating here folks...What say you?

Cheers!
:beer: me

Ssarge
April 20, 2008, 20:36
No more Polytech's or Norinco's are being made by the Chinese. The machinery was either laid up or scrapped according to sources on The Firing Line. And no, the machinery used by the Red's was not former USGI machinery. It was reverse engineered. The ROC's Type 57 used the USGI machinery in Taiwan, nothing to do with the Polytech or Norinco. And no, I have never read anywhere what happened to that equipment. (which did not include mag or flash suppressor machinery) It would be nice if Taiwan could make 80% forged USGI receivers and then a really good company could machine them over here for less than LRB to the same standards Lou and company do...

nwobhm
April 20, 2008, 20:38
Polytech/Norinco M14's have superb receivers. It's the rest of the gun that's the problem. What many people do is buy the Poly/Norinco and strip the parts and rebuild it with USGI parts. A Poly/Norinco receiver built up with USGI parts is IMHO equal to an LRB. There may still info on the Fulton Armory website in regards to the superior quality of the Poly/Norinco receivers.

Ssarge
April 20, 2008, 21:51
The barrel and op rod's on Poly's can be just as good as USGI. The op rod is forged and the barrel is chrome lined. If someone like Warbird does the USGI bolt conversion, there is no reason to toss the barrel.
The Chin receivers just aren't as pretty as the LRB which is the nicest one out there. As for quality, they are almost as good and you are correct, the geometry and dimensions are correct on them.

2barearms
April 21, 2008, 05:28
Originally posted by beerme
Thank you for the replies!

2Beararms; you gave 'the short answer is...'...What's the 'long' answer...? just curious...

I am just wondering..sure there may be several tens of thousands, but, look at M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, etc...there were millions of them made and they seem to be commanding a higher and higher premium...does anyone think people might realize the m14s's are limited in supply thus causing a surge in price? (...doing my best 411man pitch:rolleyes: ).
Just speculating here folks...What say you?

Cheers!
:beer: me

CJ Weapons was going to try and reintroduce the Norinco M14s in a Made
in America version, it's yet to be seen but there is lots of interest in Forged
Receivered rifles. It's my understanding that Canada still imports new Norinco M14s.

kalliste
April 21, 2008, 05:45
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

wolfsburgbob
April 21, 2008, 06:52
Originally posted by kalliste
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

Yeah, the old days were the good days! I remember many good treats that were available up North.

Good memories.

:sad:

Ssarge
April 21, 2008, 07:24
The Canadian rifles are the end of the line and have not been imported for some time. They are rifles that were supposed to be destined for the US market, but due to Norinco's faux paux of getting banned from selling products to the US by the Clinton Admin, they didn't make it. As I stated before, there are no more M14 type rifles being made in the Peoples Republic of China. The machinery, which was 60+ years old, has been laid up.
So the short answer is no, there will be no flood of Chin M14 clones into the US, and I doubt that they will ever overtake M1A's in price. (unless the Chinese finally take us over because of all the people that can't wait to spend all their money at WalMart and send it to China)

wolfsburgbob
April 21, 2008, 07:34
Originally posted by Ssarge


.....(unless the Chinese finally take us over because of all the people that can't wait to spend all their money at WalMart and send it to China).....



Ssarge,

I am not an "Economic Isolationist" or an "America, love it or leave it!" type, but I agree with your sentiment and I have taken up a personal "crusade" to avoid Chinese products at all costs.

Here is my process.

There are two basic types of purchases made by everyone. NEEDS and WANTS.

1) If I NEED something I will make every effort to purchase American made. I will spend extra time looking for the country of production on every product. I drive the old lady crazy with this issue. If I cannot find American made, I will only buy what I NEED of any Foreign product. NEED ONLY! (..and I don't NEED much!)

2) If I merely WANT something, It MUST be American made or I go without.

I know this is small potatos, but if we all.....

:wink:


PS,..I NEVER buy ANYTHING at WAL-MART!

jackj
May 21, 2008, 10:32
There is only one thing I buy at WalMart....ammunition.

Beyond_Visual_Range
May 24, 2008, 15:08
Can McCain "un-ban" Chinese firearms from importing? I wonder if Walmart would bring in tons of guns.

mojo_matic
May 24, 2008, 18:58
Originally posted by Ssarge
No more Polytech's or Norinco's are being made by the Chinese. The machinery was either laid up or scrapped according to sources on The Firing Line. And no, the machinery used by the Red's was not former USGI machinery. It was reverse engineered. The ROC's Type 57 used the USGI machinery in Taiwan, nothing to do with the Polytech or Norinco. And no, I have never read anywhere what happened to that equipment. (which did not include mag or flash suppressor machinery) It would be nice if Taiwan could make 80% forged USGI receivers and then a really good company could machine them over here for less than LRB to the same standards Lou and company do...

If this is the case, what machinery does Norinco continue to manufacture the M14S on for the Canadian market?

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

While on the subject of US banned rifles in Canada, this one will make you cry:
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-VZ-58/index.shtm :cry:

shortround
May 24, 2008, 19:51
Originally posted by mojo_matic


If this is the case, what machinery does Norinco continue to manufacture the M14S on for the Canadian market?

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

While on the subject of US banned rifles in Canada, this one will make you cry:
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-VZ-58/index.shtm :cry:

You can get a Hi-Cap Vz-58 from AIM for a few more bucks:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czech_VZ-58_7.62x39_Rifle.html

Ssarge
May 25, 2008, 08:05
Originally posted by mojo_matic


If this is the case, what machinery does Norinco continue to manufacture the M14S on for the Canadian market?

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

While on the subject of US banned rifles in Canada, this one will make you cry:
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-VZ-58/index.shtm :cry:

From "the firing line m14 forum":
The representative at Marstar has told us that he went to the Chinese and had all the components gathered up, and the rifles assembled using all the existing components they could source. And that once these were gone, that was it. No more production. So this is different in my mind than having Norinco build guns today at a price that by time they hit the shore you can sell at a profit for $399.00. This is something more akin to buying NOS surplus components that obviously no one else had plans for, and having them fitted and assembled. This makes me think $400 is no where near the retail price you'd expect to pay to have someone, even in China, build them for today.

So far reports on the newest batch of guns, labeled 2007 on the receivers, are that they are good, but assembled with some reports suffering from slight barrel index issues. I dont think that's anything new.

And from the Norinco USA web site:
Website updated: http://www.norinco-usa.com/

A Message From Our President:

I would like to introduce myself and explain about NORINCO-USA. I am Jon W. Morgan MSgt USMC (RET). My wife and I started C.J. Weapons about 17 years ago (www.cjweapons.com). I was still in the Marine Corps at the time and living in Southern California. Due to the anti-gunners and their laws we moved to Jefferson City, Missouri. While we were both running this business, and for the past two years, I have been working overseas in Afghanistan as an independent contractor.

We wanted to start manufacturing guns but didn't want to make M-4's like everyone else in the U.S. Instead, I wanted to make M14's and AK's. After a lot of research I found out that NORINCO, due to the 1994 ban and Clinton's and Bush's Executive orders, cannot sell anything weapons-related in the U.S. They even cancelled their Trademarks in the U.S. I have applied for the NORINCO-USA Mark for weapons Manufacturing. You can see that over the next few years we will be manufacturing many of items. Eventually, we hope to be making all of the Norinco weapons, mags, and parts here in the U.S.

We have tried to get the original machines and dies but, due to the fact that they are all 50 to 60 years old, they are not worth bringing in. Please keep an eye on our Web Site. We will be selling U.S.-made parts for the weapons as they come on line. In the near future we will also be selling the firearms themselves.

Semper Fi

Jon W. Morgan
MSgt USMC (RET)

Any other questions skippy?

mojo_matic
May 25, 2008, 09:54
Originally posted by Ssarge

Any other questions skippy?

Nope. Respectable answer to pertinent question. Regardless, hope of seeing these few rifles reach our side of the border is mute. :(