PDA

View Full Version : Can for CO2 Pistol

L Haney
April 20, 2008, 08:17
Any legalities for making a muzzle device for a CO2 pistol? My 2240 is damn near as loud as my Buckmark, and I don't want to disturb my neighbors while murdering European starlings in my back yard. Hate those birds.

Lowell

GOVT1911
April 20, 2008, 15:01
I'd be careful with that. Several years ago I read about some guys that got busted for building supressors for their paintball guns. Seems the Alphabet gang said they could be "easily converted to fit firearms".

L Haney
April 20, 2008, 17:24
I don't have a problem welding it onto a barrel. A replacement for the pistol is pretty cheap, and the one with the can would live on the back porch. But, I'm not borrowing trouble. Think this would be worth a call to that agency?

lew
April 20, 2008, 18:15
Regardless of the fact that it's a CO2 powered pistol, you'll still have to register it and pay the tax. I know of a guy who made suppressors for paintball guns and they had to go through the same procedure that suppressors for real guns do.

Prototype Services
April 20, 2008, 19:53
I've always understood that "moderators" for air rifles were unregulated, but you have to watch out for having the same threads as a common barrel or something that is "easily converted".
But as I haven't tried to buy one, I don't know for sure. I try to stay up-to-date on NFA stuff.

splattermatic
April 21, 2008, 08:15
iirc, gamo makes a pellet gun with a suppressor on it. as in making one ??
but there is a u.s. sold pellet gun with a can on it. even saw it on guns n ammo tv or one of those gun shows on the outdoor channel. they even compared a pellet gun without one (sound signature wise) to this new one with the can.

stimpsonjcat
April 21, 2008, 10:17
Pretty sure if it is permanently attached to the air rifle in such a way that removing it would destroy the can, it is good to go.

I think welding it on would be a good solution.

But before I did this I would call/write BATFE.

diana-ar15
April 23, 2008, 13:02
Gamo makes this:
http://www.gamousa.com//Catalog.aspx?Product=234

gunplumber
April 23, 2008, 14:02
silencers for paint ball guns and for air guns are not regulated. However it needs to be permanently attached to the barrel so that it cannot be removed and installed on a firearm.

The ATF definition is not "silencer" or "muffler" but "firearm silencer" or "firearm muffler". Therefore, the host unit must be a FIREARM, defined as a device for expelling a projectile through an EXPLOSIVE force (gunpowder).

The issue, therfore, is not whether the device is a silencer, but whether it can be attached to a firearm. Permanently attaching to a non-firearm precludes it being used on a firearm.

ThatFALGuy
April 23, 2008, 14:39
I know where you are coming from Mark, but would that not also negate a silencer being regulated for a rifle, shotgun, black powder or antique? It is my understanding that those are not "firearms" by definition.

That silenced air rifle is some cool stuff.

gunplumber
April 23, 2008, 14:52
Originally posted by ThatFALGuy
I know where you are coming from Mark, but would that not also negate a silencer being regulated for a rifle, shotgun, black powder or antique? It is my understanding that those are not "firearms" by definition.

That silenced air rifle is some cool stuff.

Don't know where you get the idea that a rifle is not a firearm - definitions for National Firearm Act don't have to match 4473 transfer requirements.

But ok, If you don't like my answer, write to ATF and get your own letter. I'd post mine but its in .pdf and won't let me cut and paste.

ThatFALGuy
April 23, 2008, 15:13
Actually, your answer explains my misunderstanding.

I was going by definition of firearms per NY state. State definition has those that I listed as "non-firearms". Wasn't really thinking about NFA definitions.

Thank you.

eta...

I shall now dub you Guncyclopedia Plumbtanica.:D

L Haney
April 26, 2008, 15:43
Thanks to all of you for your responses. This 2240 is less than 9 ft/lbs at the muzzle, so by some regs it is classified as non-firearm. By my local city ordinance, it is a firearm. Even a Red Rider spring BB gun is classified as a firearm inside the city limits, as far as discharging it goes. My wrist rocket with double tubing and a .450 ball bearing, that makes my shoulders creak when I draw it, is not!:rofl: