PDA

View Full Version : US Model 1903

CWizard
April 19, 2008, 12:01
Anyone have problems with a loose rear sight on an 03? Should I just get a new sight? A few years ago I got an unissed stock, finished it, and it looks good. After getting the front sight cover off I never put it back on again.

charles isaac
April 19, 2008, 14:03
Hello Wizard. Yes, I have seen this problem before.

Usually, the windage knob is a little gummed up with old oil turned to varnish. If you remove the rear sight then push in on the windage knob it will pop out, then you can scrub it up with some cleaner or oil.

It has a little coil spring on it that takes up the slack and keeps the sight tight. The gummed up oil will keep the spring from working properly. It might also be a little bit of rust

panzer
April 24, 2008, 12:01
Re oils with ballistol as it will not gum up again. ;)

Heat
April 24, 2008, 12:44
Originally posted by panzer
Re oils with ballistol as it will not gum up again. ;)
On a whim one day I started cleaning my cosmolined rifles with 'Super Clean' by Castrol----took off the crap faster than anything I've used--works on my engines, works on my guns!

panzer
April 25, 2008, 05:48
did it remove the brown staining in the park too? thats usually a tough one to get out.

MEK will take that off of an old garand.

Varangian
April 25, 2008, 08:30
Originally posted by panzer
MEK will take that off of an old garand.

It'll also give your grandkids a third eye in the midde of their foreheads and shrink your testicles to raisins.

I just have to shake my head when I remember crewchiefs being sent into UH-1 tailbooms to clean them out with a bottle of MEK...

panzer
April 25, 2008, 19:00
Still happens in UH-60's too....

CWizard
April 25, 2008, 20:19
Thanks guys. I would never have thought of that. Figured it was purely mechanical.