PDA

View Full Version : M1A Scout--opinions?

Heat
April 18, 2008, 19:21
Saw a M1A Scout today, brand new $1,350'ish--any opinions/ Some on this board do not consider the M1A paltform a good MBR...anyone with any experience with these? Looks stout..forward mounted scope base, synthetic, 18.5 in barrel..nice sights

mdlmkr 7.62
April 18, 2008, 21:37
I love mine. I like the balance a little better than the full size. $1350 is a good price for a new one.

44mag.com sells USGI mags made by CMI. They are the best mags - don't waste money on cheap mags!

I'd recommend getting a USGI web sling for it and SEI bolt stop. Attend an Appleseed to learn how to really use it.

Most of the M1A guys that i've let handle mine say they like the Scout better than the full size.

Heat
April 18, 2008, 22:18
Originally posted by mdlmkr 7.62
I love mine. I like the balance a little better than the full size. $1350 is a good price for a new one.

44mag.com sells USGI mags made by CMI. They are the best mags - don't waste money on cheap mags!

I'd recommend getting a USGI web sling for it and SEI bolt stop. Attend an Appleseed to learn how to really use it.

Most of the M1A guys that i've let handle mine say they like the Scout better than the full size.

Thanks! I handled both today and was very impressed

vmtz
April 18, 2008, 22:26
I got a SOCOM, a fast, good pointing and accurate little carbine. Like it better than my full size.

Fr. Vince

Ssarge
April 18, 2008, 23:16
I have a standard and a SOCOM. If I was going to only have one M1A though, it would be a Scout modified to the Bush Rifle configuration. (no forward scope mount, standard handguard, USGI fiberglass stock with Hawk's ECO kit to fill in selector slot and either a standard S/A flash suppressor or the SEI USCG muzzle brake.)
Of course I'm an old fashioned iron sight shooter and don't really care for scopes, especially the red dot type. The Scout is a very handy, fun rifle and you'll enjoy. That's a very good price BTW.

2barearms
April 19, 2008, 08:27
While don't have the Scout I do have a Smith Enterprise 18" build that is
very handy and well balanced. My other favorite along this line is the BM62
Beretta which may very well be where Springfield came up with the concept,
as they were building Beretta BM59/69 clones.

wayne in boca
April 23, 2008, 06:10
I love my Scout.While I have two standard length M14 type rifles and a Socom,the Scout comes out of the safe most often.My son-in-law likes my Scout so much he just bought one too.You will never be sorry you got a Scout.

jdmcomp
April 24, 2008, 07:56
From my point of view it is damned silly to try to make a carbine using a full power round like the 7.62. You wind up with huge muzzle flash and report and a slower bullet speed that could have been obtained with a smaller cartridge in the first place. If you really want something more manageable then the full M14 type, go with an AR or AK.

But then I am old school and think all of these over dressed mil types look quite gay, so if thats what your after feel free.

Blast
April 24, 2008, 22:27
I just picked up a new M1A Scout rifle a few days back after having a number of problems with a FAL I purchased and returned. I have to tell you this is one great rifle! Great trigger, very accurate feels good, excellent sights, lighter recoil than any other .308 I have shot. I can see why so many people love that gun. Glad I problems with the FAL now as I would have not bought the M1A.

Still going to buy a FAL too though.

Cheers!