View Full Version : Trust for Class III is it fluid?

April 17, 2008, 19:24
being military, if i have a trust and move from state to state that allow CL III do i have to re submit paperwork? i have a trust for estate purposes but never put any class III on it due to moving around.

Douglas Wozny
April 18, 2008, 07:34
I believe you must submit a "change of address" form to BATFE. I was looking at a job in Nevada a couple of years ago and looked into what was required to move there with my M14.

Lee Carpentieri
April 22, 2008, 10:38
rcnpthfndr, You should really ask batfe about that question, Plus if your on base housing I would think you'd also have to ask the Provost Marshal of the base your being assigned/transferred too. Also, if you do get into the NFA ownership and the provost marshal won't allow NFA personal weapons on Post you can legally store the weapon or device at a banks Safety depoist box. This way if something happens to you the next of kin will know were its at and can have it sold or transfered to whoever recieves your estate after the estate goes through probate court.

April 22, 2008, 12:36
i had asked the BATFE the same question on the phone about 2 months ago. The Agent i talked to said that as long as each state allowed the specific type of item he didnt think it would be an issue. Then he got wrapped around the axle about transport across state lines in my POV or if i flew the Suppressor being out of my possesion and in the cargo hold.

as for on base housing, my days are numbered. i am submitting retirement paperwork on may 1st to retire May 1 2009. i am going to wait on the CL III stuff until i move back to WA, ID state border area and then re engage it at that time.

thanks all for the input

Lee Carpentieri
April 25, 2008, 00:40
I see your 25th ID. I have a friend in 25th Trans, 25 ID down range in the sand box right now. Just got a quick sitrep from him as he's on the move all the time.Yeah, you have to let Batfe know when your moving and give them a new address for the new homestead and have your form 4 address changed. If taking a weapon or device across state lines to go shooting someplace other than your state were the registered weapon is secured and in your posession, You have to file a form 5 at least a month or 2 in advance with Batfe. This way if you get pulled over by a local cop and they ask if you have any weapons in the vechicle you can tell them the truth and show them the form 5. You do have to watch how some state laws are about transporting any type of weapon.

May 01, 2008, 14:27
A lot of your questions are answered here: