PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine & Garand Questions

peacekeeper1961
April 13, 2008, 17:48
I'm looking to purchase a M1 Carbine and a Garand to add to my collection and am looking for some advice.

I have been to several gunshows but all I am finding is over priced beater guns. I considered CMP but I am looking for something in real good shape. I have also looked on gunbroker but I hate buying a used rifle without touching it first.

My concern is more towards cosmetics rather than collectable value. With that in mind, does anyone have any opinion on Miltech? Also, any experience with the new Auto-Ordnance M1 carbine?

shlomo
April 13, 2008, 19:57
Originally posted by peacekeeper1961
My concern is more towards cosmetics rather than collectable value. With that in mind, does anyone have any opinion on Miltech? Also, any experience with the new Auto-Ordnance M1 carbine?

I can speak only to the M1, as I have next to zero knowledge, experience, or interest in carbines.

That said, get a Garand from the CMP for 500 bucks, along with a CMP stock set for 130.00. Send it off to somebody reputable for refinishing, and mount it in the stock set.

If, by luck of the draw, you get one with a crappy bore, add a Criterion barrel for another 180 bucks. You won't end up with a genuine copy of a matching "correct" collector gun, but it will be pretty, and probably shoot decently. And you will have under a grand in it.

Drmsparks
April 13, 2008, 20:29
CMP now has correct grades for 995 and collector grades are coming.

That means very pretty all around.

If you get a service grade and a new stock set like mentioned above. you will also be golden.

You can get some minty looking carbine stocks from Reese Surplus (the one I got was immaculate) for under $100.

don't by a modern carbine especially if it's for your collection. USGI is what you need.

As far as miltech goes, you'd be better off getting a rack grade and sending it off to Deans Gun Restorations....Now those are some pretty rifles.

mj2evans
April 13, 2008, 21:10
I have not head good things about commercial M1 Carbines. Get the GI issue and own some history.

You are much better off with the CMP on the M1 (carbine too). Most of the asses at shows selling M1s get them from CMP and just jack up the price (that really pisses me off, that is not the purpose of the CMP). I asked for a WWII receiver gun the first time I ordered and got one made in late 1941. Field grade guns look to be a good deal. I bought a rack grade and rebarelled once I got better shooting the M1.

Heat
April 13, 2008, 23:47
Im gonna get the CMP Garand...soon as I shoot my first HighPower next month I am taking the plunge...really looking forward to having a Garand in hand--and some of that Greek ammo...I noticed as well that '06 Brass is often cheaper than .308 brass, Remington I believe...
Just bought 2,100 Hornady 30 cal 150 gr boattails today for $269---that should suffice for awhile since I dont blast anymore

Survey Punk
April 14, 2008, 06:54
Big +1 for DGR! :bow:
http://www.dgrguns.com/

JB

shlomo
April 14, 2008, 08:10
Originally posted by Heat

Just bought 2,100 Hornady 30 cal 150 gr boattails today for $269---that should suffice for awhile since I dont blast anymore

You are a wise man, sir. This is not only an inexpensive bullet, but it outgroups the 168 SMK in my M1s. If you have IMR 4895 on hand, try 46.0, and seat the bullet to 3.200 (OAL is from memory. I'll check, and edit if different.) This is a mild, middlin' load, and very accurate for me. I believe you will be pleased.

Heat
April 16, 2008, 02:27
O.K. Whats the skinny on Springfield Armory vs Harrington&Richardson?
Both are offered for same price in select grade thru CMP...is one better than other? One easier to maintain? Whats the skinny?!?

shlomo
April 16, 2008, 06:46
Originally posted by Heat
O.K. Whats the skinny on Springfield Armory vs Harrington&Richardson?
Both are offered for same price in select grade thru CMP...is one better than other? One easier to maintain? Whats the skinny?!?

There may be other issues involved beyond this, but a lot of folks are looking for specific makers, for either collecting or harvesting parts for a "genuine fake original" parts-matching gun.

Personally, I don't give a rip about any of that stuff. I'm only interested in condition, function, and accuracy. "Pretty is as pretty does", and all that. I built a match-prepped M1 last year with a woodless Dane for $300, a new stock set, NM front and rear sights, and a Barnett match barrel. I have less than 800 bucks in it, plus a fair amount of time doing the bedding, re-parking, and stock finishing. I was in the CMP store in Anniston with a couple of shooting buds a few months ago, and saw their "National Match" rifles going for up to $3,500. All of us agreed that we wouldn't trade my rifle for three of theirs, in terms of fit and finish. Collectors, however, have different priorities, and they are welcome to them, if they have the exchequer for it.

Survey Punk
April 16, 2008, 06:53
What shlomo says is true. As far as functionability or inherrant accuracy they are all the same.

JB