PDA

View Full Version : M1A Getting Beat Up

tigerM1A
April 09, 2008, 12:13
After an extended shooting session 300-400 rds with my new Springfield National Match. I began to perform my normal breakdown and clean up when I saw several areas on my bolt that appear to have had hard metal to metal contact. I will send pictures later the areas are on the aft corners of the bolt and on the op-rod where it meets the receiver. If anyone has any info on this type of issue that would be great. The ammo I was using is surplus 147gr Iíll have to look at the head stamp to see where itís from.

Survey Punk
April 09, 2008, 13:17
First, you shouldn't have to dismantle that rifle at all untill it has, at least, 1000 rounds through it. Second anywhere you see signs of contact needs a little smear of grease. Third, you can apply grease to every place this weapon needs lubrication without field stripping it.

I look forward to your pictures as they might show a condition that was posted by another about a month ago.

JB

JOHN E
April 09, 2008, 14:17
Grease is the word........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6w1nfL3Wm4

Andrewsky
April 09, 2008, 14:39
It's normal to have a lot of wear on the parkerizing on the bolt.

wolfsburgbob
April 09, 2008, 15:36
Grease. Not oil,...GREASE!

W.E.G.
April 09, 2008, 17:09
The bolt of the M14 smacks against the rear inside (left side IIRC) of the receiver during recoil. This is normal. I think somebody makes a buffer - can't say whether its worthwhile though. We used to shoot over-pressure loads (43.0 grains IMR 4895 with 180 and 190 grain bullets) in them, and the bolt would eventually bash through the receiver (or at least start to). Wasn't really a problem then, 'cause we could get new receivers when we were pulling that shit.

tac-40
April 10, 2008, 21:41
One other thing to check is the gap between the piston and the op rod. Too much or too little can cause damage to the op rod where the roller makes contact. There is a spec but I don't remember what it is at this time.

Groucho
April 11, 2008, 07:40
As others have said, a little grease is a good thing for the M1A. Also, you may seriously want to consider a buffer. Fulton (among others) has them. It stops the op-rod from banging into the receiver quite so hard. I've used one for many years. No alteration in function.

Hope this helps,
Groucho