PDA

View Full Version : Want to re-barrel my Yugo48 with a Bull and new stock--

Heat
April 08, 2008, 01:14
I want to rebarrel my Yugo M48 Mauser that has already been sporterized..I now have a Douglas #4 barrel (.308) in a boyds stock..I want a bull .308 instead but no one seems to make a synthetic type stock for the yugo action
Anyone know of anyone that does?
H-S says no, Bell&Carlson as well says no, McMillian not sure...any custom stock makers anyone can point me to?
Ive already done the trigger, safety etc...just want to do possibly a Douglas #8 and have a real tack driver

owlcreekok
April 08, 2008, 14:05
Yer stuck with wood.

:eek:

I looked for a year for a rubber stock. I borrowed a Ram Line one or some such brand to see how bad it would be to make the medium length action fit. I gave that up for a bad job.

There are worse maladies to have than being stuck with wood.

:|

MAINER
April 08, 2008, 18:22
How about a laminate? They are very stable (heavy). You can always open em out to fit most any barrel.

owlcreekok
April 08, 2008, 20:25
Originally posted by MAINER
How about a laminate? They are very stable (heavy). You can always open em out to fit most any barrel.

What puts the fly in the ointment is the intermediate length of the M48. The synthetic stocks are molded to the "regular" length Mauser action, Moving the center to center dimension of the bottom metal screws Hogan's goat beyond most Vet's motivation.

YMMV

easttex
April 09, 2008, 22:48
I've done it. My gunsmith screwed a Lothar Walther Art. 724 6.5x55 onto a M48 action that I have. Then I bedded the action into a Boyd's stock and had the metal parkerized.

What would I recommend?

Save your money. Or buy a factory rifle set up like you want it.

Unless you've got all the right tools and lots of time and talent, you almost can't pour enough money into a Mauser to get it built like you want it.

owlcreekok
April 10, 2008, 06:41
Unless you've got all the right tools and lots of time and talent, you almost can't pour enough money into a Mauser to get it built like you want it.

Keep yer flame suit handy, mang. :tongue:

Some of us have built tack drivers with common tools and many of us DO have the tools, time and talent.

I once took a South American '06 mauser that had a dark bore, dropped it into a Fajen "second" and all told had less than $200. That rifle would put shots under 3" at 200 all day long. A feat that I have seen off the shelf Remington and Winchesters hard pressed to accomplish.

Slow
April 25, 2008, 16:40
Originally posted by easttex

Save your money. Or buy a factory rifle set up like you want it.

i have yet been able to find a "Factory" rifle the way i want it. i either build it (mauser actions) or end up pouring money in a factory riffle, the cost still winds up the same ( just more of my labor on a mauser build)................., and i get better result on the mauser build a majority of the time..........

but as time has progressesd its cheaper to buy a factory rifle and be happy with what you got, than to build one now

Heat
April 27, 2008, 19:53
Originally posted by Slow

i have yet been able to find a "Factory" rifle the way i want it. i either build it (mauser actions) or end up pouring money in a factory riffle, the cost still winds up the same ( just more of my labor on a mauser build)................., and i get better result on the mauser build a majority of the time..........

but as time has progressesd its cheaper to buy a factory rifle and be happy with what you got, than to build one now
Yes, I have the Mauser bug..I simply dont care for pushfeeds...I will more than likely look for a Mauser action and build up a bull barreled rifle that way..theres something satisfying about having a semi-custom rifle that you essentially dreamed up..not some factory clone