PDA

View Full Version : My "New" M-1 at the Range Today

MTS
April 02, 2008, 19:58
I recently got my M-1 back from being re-barreled by Glen Riddle. Finally got to the range today.

Boy, do I enjoy shooting my Garand now that I don't have to hold under to hit the bull. Just a little windage, and I was in business.

Work was nicely done and fast.

shlomo
April 03, 2008, 07:13
You know what the knob on the left is for, right?:biggrin:

owlcreekok
April 03, 2008, 09:07
Originally posted by shlomo
You know what the knob on the left is for, right?:biggrin:

ZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG !

:rofl:

Owl ducks as incoming from the Northwest impacts his area.

zampilot
April 05, 2008, 18:34
IIRC...Ummm...you should hit 6" high at 200 yards for the WW2 USGI "zero". 'The Pumpkin On the Post' sight picture.
BUT, they are adjustable!!!!!

shlomo
April 06, 2008, 07:23
Interesting name, zampilot. I'm thinkin' either Haiti or Hockey.

DYNOMIKE
April 06, 2008, 09:37
Glen re-barreled & re-finished one of my M-1's for me.. As usual he did a Great job with the rifle.. In fact it came home looking Much better than I expected..
It has made almost every range trip since I got it back.. :beer:

BTW...
Pretty sure it's HOCKEY... ;)

zampilot
April 06, 2008, 15:55
Haiti?

DYNOMIKE
April 06, 2008, 17:00
Originally posted by zampilot
Haiti?

:confused: I didn't get that either?

zampilot
April 06, 2008, 17:12
MTS,
Does Glen have a website?

DYNOMIKE
April 06, 2008, 18:20
MTS,
Does Glen have a website?

Yes he does...
http://magnum-gunsmithing.com/Magnum_Gunsmithing.html
Here is his E-mail addy: riddleglen@sbcglobal.net

He is also a Regular Member of the Files and Posts as 187 ..

shlomo
April 06, 2008, 21:49
Haiti?

The Haitian creole word for "rifle" is "zam".

That is todays installment of incontestable trivia.:biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
April 07, 2008, 07:19
Creole Huh...
Oh Damn, I NEVER would have figured that one out... :p

shlomo
April 07, 2008, 07:47
Well, it was a shot in the dark, if you'll pardon the puns.

MTS
April 07, 2008, 21:21
BTW, I've had this rifle since the late 70's. Never did shoot it much, but I had figured out what the funny little knobs were for. I like to shoot at stuff that's about 100 yards away, and don't battle much.

You know, an electric blanket has a knob, too, but you can't get it to dial down far enough to cool you off on a hot night.

Just in case anyone else has a monopoly on this kind of information.

shlomo
April 08, 2008, 06:24
Ahh, just pullin' your chain a little, there, MTS. Some folks say I can be a wee bit of a wise-ass sometimes, but it's all in good fun.

But just out of curiosity, are you saying that the rear sight wouldn't go low enough to get you centered at 100?

MTS
April 08, 2008, 06:44
Wouldn't, before the new barrel. I had gone as far as taking a rear sight aperture and grinding the lower end to give me a little more adjustment, but no dice.

The original barrel looked OK and had a tight muzzle, but something was not right. I think I'm in business, now.

I'm also waiting for my other Garand to show up. It was shot out, so I'm looking forward trying it out as well.

shlomo
April 08, 2008, 07:56
Wow, MTS. The average M1 that I see is at least seven or eight clicks off the bottom at 100. Now I feel bad for ribbin' ya.

I take it all back.

captk
April 08, 2008, 08:01
I have the same problem with one of my Garand's. The rear sight will not adjust down enough to hit poa at 100 yds. I had to settle for sighing it on the bottom of the targets I use for it to hit center, not that I can hit center very often. The other Garand's adjust fine. I have also had this problem with a Mauser where I just installed a tall front sight and problem solved.

Ken

MTS
April 08, 2008, 09:55
Originally posted by captk
I have the same problem with one of my Garand's. The rear sight will not adjust down enough to hit poa at 100 yds. I had to settle for sighing it on the bottom of the targets I use for it to hit center, not that I can hit center very often. The other Garand's adjust fine. I have also had this problem with a Mauser where I just installed a tall front sight and problem solved.

Ken

Yup. It really takes the fun out of shooting it. I kick myself for waiting so long to get it fixed. I'm still looking at the original barrel, trying to understand the problem.

I took a gamble, getting a new barrel, because I couldn't prove it would solve the problem. Having done it, I'd recommend getting it fixed.

I don't mind getting needled a little. If you hang around and put up with some abuse, you can learn quite a bit.

shlomo
April 08, 2008, 20:53
You can have a lot of fun here if you have a thick skin. Great buncha guys-n-gals.

owlcreekok
April 09, 2008, 07:14
Originally posted by shlomo
You can have a lot of fun here if you have a thick skin. Great buncha guys-n-gals.

Except those that have their Garands all put together,,,,,,,and then wave the fact all around.

Me, I'm still sitting here, staring at my piggy bank, wishing it would get full enough for a barrel to go on my kit.

mumblemumblemumble

DYNOMIKE
April 09, 2008, 07:28
Originally posted by owlcreekok

Except those that have their Garands all put together,,,,,,,and then wave the fact all around.

Me, I'm still sitting here, staring at my piggy bank, wishing it would get full enough for a barrel to go on my kit.

mumblemumblemumble

Ya know that's just plain MEAN & NASTY HOOTIE, I am appalled..
WHO would do such a Thing??!! :devil: :tongue:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P2160039.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P2160038.jpg

owlcreekok
April 09, 2008, 07:47
I dunno, It helps when folks only post pics of Garands that look like stovewood.

:D

MTS
April 09, 2008, 15:46

mumblemumblemumble

I don't have the self control to do it your way. I used my plastic.

Of course, I eat a lot of Ramen noodles, spam, etc.

owlcreekok
April 09, 2008, 16:11
Humphh.

I could really go on a tear with that subject (plastic). No matter though. The only way I would get any satisfaction from the rant would be if my wife and her Mother could read it.

:redface:

What goes around, comes around though. :devil:

1MOR
April 09, 2008, 21:06
Post War_Big Three
From left, International Harvester, 5.8Mil Springfield Armory, Harrington and Richardson. All from CMP and all Service Grade, and all are luck of the draw!

Brass Rat
April 10, 2008, 20:33
I have the same problem with one of my Garand's. The rear sight will not adjust down enough to hit poa at 100 yds.

Nothing that an extra 500 yards won't cure.:D

1MOR
April 10, 2008, 20:54
Glen does great work. Like everything else, Garands are very addictive. Ya learn by doing. After a couple, you take all 72 parts, put them in a box and put the rifle back together again, blindfolded. Then, you get to the point of being able to trouble shoot just about any problem. Even with a shot out nasty barrel, a Garand is capable of decent accuracy as long as there is enough stuff left in the barrel to stabilize the bullet. These were never designed to be target weapons, but MBRs that could and would function in any battlefield condition. A lot of deceased Nazis, Japs and other assorted Asians will agree!!.

owlcreekok
April 10, 2008, 21:41
Originally posted by Brass Rat

Nothing that an extra 500 yards won't cure.:D

Somebody bring this cat a beer before I get REALLY pissed off.

:beer:

DYNOMIKE
April 10, 2008, 22:11
I dunno, It helps when folks only post pics of Garands that look like stovewood.

:D

Now ya went and Hurted all my Feelings..:cry:

BUT I'm over it now, think I'll take one to the Range this weekend just to make sure that OLD Stovewood still shoots O.K.
Tell what just in case ya never Shot one come on over and I'll take ya W/Me... I gots LOTS of Bullits and you can try out the Stovewood.. Corse it does Buck just a BIT more than your OWL Pellit Rifel so mebe you should take a Couple ASS-PRINS before we go.. :rofl: :devil:

Hey 1MOR~
Those are SWEET but Wheres the PIX of My Favorite OLD WAR HORSE?? :wink:

1MOR
April 11, 2008, 19:09
Stove wood huh, wanna see some stove wood, really stove wood?? Howsabout stovewoody stock ona tentpegantipoofter smokinpole??
First, ya gets a CMP bottomofthe woodpile nastyassed Danish woodless rackgrade Garand.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1483/wh1on6.jpg
Then ya look down the business end and see waterpipe to the gas port, M2 ball drops to the case rim.
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/1034/wh2ip0.jpg
Then ya look at the action and wonder whatyagotyerselfinto.
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/2228/wh3xw4.jpg
Then ya call Dougs Stockpile and ask for his baddest stove wood stock and yer not gonna pay more than ten bucks and gimme a set of that nasty five bucks stockmetal I knowyagot. Ya takes datnasty woodnrusty stockmetal and screw it all up. Sorry for the clean sling, wifey put it in a sock and ran it with a load scivies.
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8771/wh4he8.jpg
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/4845/wh5ti9.jpg
Then ya put some ammo inher trap and leterfly offn a rag on the ammocan at 100. This Old War Horse was born in October, 1942 and still had all of her stuff.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1298/wh6er9.jpg

Mike keeps wantin to make off with the girl :biggrin: :biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
April 11, 2008, 20:19
YUP... That's it!!!

I like that M1 a Lot, mebe cause I was the privileged one that got to Pull the Trigger FIRST.. :biggrin:

It just has a LOOK, ya know THE look.. The BTDT look of an OLD WARHORSE..

M1'Z RULE...:shades: :whiskey:

1MOR
April 11, 2008, 20:30
Betchya had fantasies of takin the belt sander toher, huh huh?? She will travel for the next range trip. She is just a smooth old rifle to shoot. Guess the parts have been rubbing on each other for so long. This was never a rack queen!:D :D

DYNOMIKE
April 11, 2008, 20:39
SHEEEET NO!!!
NO sanding allowed.. She is just Fine as is.. :beer: :beer:

poof
April 11, 2008, 22:16
Well if its show and tell.
Here is my Box set.. one from each...
WRA 1260xxx 308 insert
SA 8033xx
IHC 4550xxx
HRA 5522xxx

Got all these by Luck Of The Wallet

http://i32.tinypic.com/2cnblf8.jpg

:biggrin:

they do'nt get used much.. I have another 2.4 springfield that I am considering making the full time shooter

moses
April 13, 2008, 00:36
Mike, I like your Garands but man they are way too clean!

I shoot mine and usually clean the barrel but can't remember the last time I cleaned the action or gas sysytem! They love it dirty! :love:

You comin to the GA fal match BTW?

If I have a Garand only 200 & 300 yd steel target shoot up here in NC you gonna come? You too shlomo?

shlomo
April 13, 2008, 06:52
Originally posted by moses

If I have a Garand only 200 & 300 yd steel target shoot up here in NC you gonna come? You too shlomo?

I'd really like that, but I've gotta figure out a way to resolve the safety glasses issue. I sure would like it if your club would go back to letting the shooter decide on glasses and accept responsibility for his own decision.

DYNOMIKE
April 13, 2008, 09:00
Originally posted by moses
Mike, I like your Garands but man they are way too clean!

I shoot mine and usually clean the barrel but can't remember the last time I cleaned the action or gas sysytem! They love it dirty! :love:

You comin to the GA fal match BTW?

Thanks Johnny, I like them as well and will be sure to leave one Dirty next time out.. :tongue:

As far as the GA Match I had contacted Stimpy and told him I was going to try and come.. After I realized I had the DATE wrong it seemed it might work out..
Stephen was really loking forward to it as well (He has Grown a LOT!) so we were making plans to attend.. However it looks like He will not get his FULL Release from the Doc yet after shoulder surgery as I had been hoping for .. The Doc says right now he is not allowed to shoot anything more than the AR'S as he is concerned about the recoil.. He has a Couple More weeks of therapy and another Doc visit and we are hoping he will get the 100% Pass NO Limitations release at that time.. I just don't think we can do it, add to that I am moving all my Tools to the New Shop and we are Busy as hell right now I don't even know "IF" I could take the time off since I like to get there (GA) Friday and NOT go back to work untill Tues.
To be honest I am pretty bummed about it, the Date of the Match seemed like it was going to be perfect for me but I guess it's just not meant to be again this year.. :(
I'll be thinking about all you guy's though and I hope you have a GREAT MATCH..

As far as the GARAND Match goes we will be planning our vacation this year and will be coming up to NC.. Man I would LOVE to shoot one of your matches (ANY Kind) and if the Dates of one and our vacation can somehoe jive I would shoot with you in a Minute.. I'll send you an E-mail and we can talk about that some more, I need to order one of your Enfield H/Space gauges anyway.. :biggrin: :beer: