PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I've got the bug

lawdog
March 26, 2008, 15:55
I have decided that I am going to buy a bullpup. I just don't know which one.

I had a terrible experience with the Bushmaster M17 and don't want to go through that again. In particular, the hot, acrid chamber gases came straight up from the ejection port which was strategically placed so that my cheek weld caused my eyes to be right in vertical line with the port. Thus, I was virtually blinded by the gases causing my eyes to sting with each shot.

The new AUGs have me intrigued because of the barrel change and caliber change options. I am leaning toward the TPD if I go with an AUG. I just want to know if the gases port out of the chamber at about the same site where the average shooter would have their face in the same vicinity.

The FS2000 is the other option I am considering. Just looking at the FS2000 makes me think that the gases port well forward as there is no ejection port at the mid to rear of the rifle. The only things that I am concerned about with the FS2000 is that I haven't heard of any plans to add .22 conversion kits to the line up and the fact that I have always felt more comfortable with a vertical foregrip vs a horizontal foregrip. Vertical is just more natural.

So, what about the AUG's gases? Anyone heard anything about future plans/accessories for the FS2000? Does the FS2000 have a storage chamber in the heel of the stock? Any suggestions on either?

jahmn
March 26, 2008, 20:00
Hi Lawdog,

I have all three. The STG-556/Aug gas ejection is up by the vertical grip on the barrel. No need to worry about it that far from your face. I never noticed it on the 2000, especially with the ejection totally covered up by the face. The forward ejection is real sweet. Neither the 2000 nor the MASR dinged my brass. As for the M17, I kept it. I put a target scope on it and found the 21" barrel to be real accurate. I just epoxied a thin rubber membrane over the charging handle to avoid the gas to the eyes. You can get a vertical forgrip for the 2000. :aug:

Bug Tussell
March 27, 2008, 06:35
Before I got my MSAR I knew I wanted a bullpup but none of the existing ones, other then the AUG which was prohibitively expensive, excited me enough to purchase one. I had a passing interest in the M17 and slightly more interest in the FS2000. I figured that I'd wind up with the FS2000 eventually but couldn't muster up much enthusiasm for it. When MSAR introduced their AUG clone and the reviews were unanimously positive my decision was made.

FS2000 pros - uses AR mags, ambidextrous
cons - blocky, no options, $2,400 out the door with factory optic

MSAR pros - quick change barrels, different barrel lengths, caliber conversions - pistol calibers too, optional rails for optics of your choice, can convert to lefty
cons - proprietary mags, $2,000 out the door with factory optic and 6 mags.

plus you get this - :aug:

:biggrin:

StoneyCreekMrMauser
March 27, 2008, 21:52
'Nother option out there. Seems Kel-Tec has a new bullpup, the FBR, that accepts FAL mags and looks wicked badass on their website promo. Ejects forward like a damn chain gun, left-side cocking handle, neat sights. I think it's preproduction right now but I could see it being a good option if it doesn't act like the company's pocket pistols.

Now there's a PDW in a proper caliber!

K.O.A.M.
March 28, 2008, 19:45
My local Gander Mountain has a MSAR they just got in. It looks good. Only problem would be that I would absolutely have to sell something or win the lotto.

lawdog
March 29, 2008, 18:19
Jahmn: where can I get a vertical foregrip for the 2000? How does it attach?

guns an planes
March 31, 2008, 01:25
This thread could use a pic.

My brothers\\\' is on the top, mine on the bottom. 1st and 4th SE rifles out the door,and they had to go back for the upgrade.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=662

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=661

After I got mine back, I had a couple of FTE as I stubbornly insisted to myself that it *should* digest wolf poly as well as any other brand. A quick chamber polish solved that, and it cycles like a champ.

Bug Tussell
March 31, 2008, 08:59
That's purty.
:aug:

jahmn
March 31, 2008, 19:14
Hi Lawdog,

The rifle manual details how to take off the forearm. One can replace it with a picatinny rail. Then one can bolt on a flashlight, vertical grip or whatever. I don't know if the vertical I saw was unique to the FS 2000 or the same thing sold for AR15s? I cannot remember what website sold these. You could try FN USA for a reference. I am leaving mine alone for now so sorry I cannot be of further help for now.

jahmn
March 31, 2008, 19:48
OK Lawdog,

Here is another variant, but not the original that I referenced:
http://monolitharms.com/newsite/FS2000trirail.html

lawdog
March 31, 2008, 20:54
Thanks for the info. However, I think that I would look for a different solution for the FS2000 as there is a disclaimer at the bottom of that linked page warning about the use of a vertical foregrip. Without a vertical foregrip, I suspect that holding a tri rail would not be more desirable than the original grip. Thanks for the link all the same. It's great that someone is at least trying to find a solution.

1811GNR
March 31, 2008, 23:02
Monolith is supposed to come out with a new model forend with a metal bottom rail. The bottom rail on the original is plastic (polymer):rolleyes: