PDA

View Full Version : .22 revolver tuning

Hot Diggity
March 26, 2008, 07:32
Alright wheel gun experts, I've got an old H&R 949 that has accuracy concerns. One cylinder will shoot to point of aim all day long, 4 others are close, but the last 4 are wildly off target, but consistently. (meaning they always shoot the same, but not where aimed)

I've scrubbed the cylinder and barrel out well and can find no damage, or looseness. Haven't tried another cylinder, since I don't want to spend any money on a tackle box gun until I've exhausted all other possibilities.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Any support will be appreciated.

HD

TerryN
March 26, 2008, 07:57
H&R revolvers were never noted as being precision instruments. It sounds like some of the chambers are slightly misaligned with the barrel and forcing cone.

Short of spending more money than the gun is worth trying to correct this, I'd suggest having the forcing cone looked at by a GOOD gunsmith. It may not (probably isn't) cut properly to begin with, and he should be able to recut it for a not-too-outrageous sum of money.

Hot Diggity
March 26, 2008, 08:57
Thanks Terry. Cheap and tough is why the H&R is so appealing. I shoot with a friend who has the .22/.22 Magnum model H&R and that thing has rifle-like accuracy off the rest. Mine was neglected by a previous owner, and I'm trying to make it into a tolerable plinker.

I'll make some calls and see if anybody does revolver work around here, and failing that, I'll see what Brownells has for tools and do it myself. Couldn't ask for a better project gun. It's mine, it's already hurt, and if I make it worse I'm not out much.

HD

MAINER
March 26, 2008, 09:53
Just guessing here, but have you checked the center pin for straightness?

Had a Ruger with a bent cylinder pin once. Another S&W had the yoke misaligned. Some chambers shot OK, others shaved the bullets. Cost too much to fix so I traded it.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1560z949

TerryN
March 27, 2008, 10:37
Originally posted by Hot Diggity
Thanks Terry. Cheap and tough is why the H&R is so appealing. I shoot with a friend who has the .22/.22 Magnum model H&R and that thing has rifle-like accuracy off the rest. Mine was neglected by a previous owner, and I'm trying to make it into a tolerable plinker.

I'll make some calls and see if anybody does revolver work around here, and failing that, I'll see what Brownells has for tools and do it myself. Couldn't ask for a better project gun. It's mine, it's already hurt, and if I make it worse I'm not out much.

HD

Another thing to check for is to see if a previous owner has bent the cylinder yoke by 'snapping' the cylinder open/closed with a flick of the wrist. If the yoke is bent it can be straightened, but I would want a pro to do that work, personally. I'm better at bending things than I am at straightening them! :tongue:

Hot Diggity
March 27, 2008, 23:05
It's a fixed cylinder revolver, but I'll take it apart again this weekend and have a good look at the cylinder pin, then I'll see if I can check cylinder runout with a dial indicator. (Barrel pin with cylinder in lathe chuck oughto work.) Then it's time to get on the phone and see if any of the elderly gunsmiths (who actually repair guns) have time to look at my H&R.

Thanks,

HD