PDA

View Full Version : S&W model 36 problem

rochte
March 24, 2008, 14:30
I had posted several months ago (before all of these new forums appeared - holy cow!) about my Model 36 misfiring at times. So, at the suggestion of just about everyone, I carefully took it apart and cleaned out the grime (not much to be found, but a little). I then carefully put it back together, everything looked and fit fine, but now I cannot get the cylinder out (it just stays locked in - turns when you pull the trigger, etc., but cannot get it out).

This must be something obvious, but it's not to me - what might I have done wrong??

Thanks!

azdave12
March 24, 2008, 21:06
Loose extractor rods can cause this. All it takes in some cases is half a thread (revolution) OUT to tie up the cylinder.

GOVTMOD
March 28, 2008, 08:25
+1 Keep in mind it's LH thread. When you get it open very carefully snug it down. If it keeps backing out take it to someone who has experience with revolvers in order to avoid either stripping the fine threads, buggering up the knurling or bending the rod.

Bawana jim
March 28, 2008, 10:40
A dab of blue loctite will stop this from happening again.

What ammo where you using when the gun wouldn't fire? Was there a dent in the primer?? Has anyone changed the coil spring before you got the gun?

jim