PDA

View Full Version : What is Push Fed

seg
March 24, 2008, 06:22
I'm sure this put in the "your a Dumb-Ass"category. But I dont know that much about bolt guns. I tring though:biggrin:

MAINER
March 24, 2008, 09:37
Push feed is any Bolt gun that doesn't use the Mauser "claw extractor". In other words, a push feed just pushes the cartridge into the chamber ahead of the bolt. The Mauser is also called "controlled feed" as the cartridges are picked up from the magazine by the claw extractor as the extractor slides over the rim of the cartridge.

If you short-stroke a push-feed, you leave the cartridge laying in the action. The Mauser will eject a cartridge if short-stroked. Short-stroking is when you don't run the bolt all the way home and lock it.

(And that's why)

MAUSERS RULE!! :biggrin:

Heat
March 24, 2008, 13:36
Yes, Mauser 'claw' extraction and positive feed are all attributes that make this design 'superior' to simple push feed...almost all serious hunters in Africa or even Alaska where you are literally at risk of being eaten when you are hunting prefer the Mauser type action...you can feed a round while lying on the ground upside down or on your side..say after you've been bowled over by a 1200lb brown bear...you DONT want to be fumbling for ammo strewn on the ground...some folks say the a push feed is more accurate but the new Kimber, Cz and other rifles that use Mauser actions are VERY accurate..usually more expensive (in the case of Kimber) but not really by much..I've seen some really expensive Remington 700's that werent all that accurate..the military went to the push feed back in the late 60's mainly because the Remingtom was easier to maintain than a Winchester M70 with the Mauser action( and Winchester, to save money..stopped producing the Mauser type action and went to push feed themselves, to the dismay of serious hunters)..and were only deployed to snipers that were taking a shot here or there...Germans used Mauser action to great affect in two world wars...1903 Springfield used by U.S. Army, U.S.M.C. during WW1 and WW II and into Korea were Mauser type actions..When you want dependability...go with a Mauser

seg
April 02, 2008, 11:37
:bow: Thanks

RG Coburn
April 03, 2008, 04:12
Would a Mosin Nagant be considered a controlled fed?

lew
April 03, 2008, 07:35
Not at all. The extractor only slips over the rim as the cartridge is chambered.