PDA

View Full Version : Federal Ordnance M1A

gunner1911
March 21, 2008, 20:03
Does someone have any info good or bad about Federal Ordnance M1A's? I bought one several years back that looks to have mostly USGI parts on a Federal Ordnance receiver. Not much info out there other than the later guns were mostly all Chinese parts. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!:p

Ssarge
March 21, 2008, 20:39
They can be very good or very out of spec. It just depends on when the receiver was manufactured and who assembled the rifle. It would be a good idea to get a reputable M14 armorer, that has the proper guages to check it out for you.
That said, if you have been shooting it, and it hit's what you point at and is reliable I wouldn't get too worked up about what anyone other than a qualified armorer said.
Do a search here: http://www.m14firinglineforum.com/upload/forumdisplay.php?f=21 for specific information on the Federal Ord rifle.

gunner1911
March 21, 2008, 22:02
Thanks for the info! I checked out the link you sent and found out that most people are happy with their Federal Ord's. Mine does have a low serial number and seems to operate fine.

wayne in boca
March 22, 2008, 04:16
I've got one that shoots just fine.Warbird did a USGI bolt conversion on it (mine's a late one on a Chicom parts set) and it is a good rifle.Think I'll shoot it today.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 22, 2008, 15:32
The Fed Ord M14 rifles are made of poor quality steel and will fail resulting in catastrophic injuries and property damage.

(Since you did ask for bad information and none had been given so far, I thought that I would even up the scales so to speak.)

instr8
March 22, 2008, 16:18
I have one in the mid 5000 range. It's 100% GI except for the receiver. The only initial problem it had was that the bolt lugs and receiver lugs only mated on one side and was causing a short HS condition. I had a smith relieve the lug so that both sides mated. That opened the HS enough that it gauges properly now. The firing pin retraction helix timing, which is a common problem with fed ords, is fine on mine.

I honestly look at mine as a USGI parts kit that shoots. I hope to be able to upgrade the receiver one day to something nicer. Until then, it's pretty much a safe queen. Oh, mine has a SACO-Lowell barrel that gauges "0" on both ends. :smile:

gunner1911
March 22, 2008, 18:12
Just wondering how many cases of catastrophic injuries and property damage have resulted from the Federal Ordnance guns. I admit I have heard that some of the heat treatment was not correct on some of the guns. Anyway, I only live 2 hrs from Houston, TX and will hopefully soon have WARBIRD go through my gun as I have a Garand I also want rebuilt. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
March 22, 2008, 19:11
Originally posted by gunner1911
Just wondering how many cases of catastrophic injuries and property damage have resulted from the Federal Ordnance guns. I admit I have heard that some of the heat treatment was not correct on some of the guns. Anyway, I only live 2 hrs from Houston, TX and will hopefully soon have WARBIRD go through my gun as I have a Garand I also want rebuilt. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

What I posted was bad information. Or, alternately, it could be called false information.

WCG
March 22, 2008, 22:28
I've probably seen less than 30 Federal Ordnance receivers over the years.
All were good receivers but, some were better than others.
Think of Armscorp receivers in that respect.

Those that had Chinese bolts installed were a bit tighter inside.
That's a good thing, as it's better to have to much metal than not enough.
Most if not all of them will accept a USGI bolt if the work is done properly.

crcksht
March 23, 2008, 10:01
Originally posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle
The Fed Ord M14 rifles are made of poor quality steel and will fail resulting in catastrophic injuries and property damage.

(Since you did ask for bad information and none had been given so far, I thought that I would even up the scales so to speak.)

I believe you might be misinformed here. The problem as I understand it was with the heat treatment, not a problem with the steel itself. I've had no problem with my Fed. Ord. whatsoever, although I had Smith Ent. do a proper heat treatment job on it when I first acquired it. After glass-bedding the receiver with no other match mods, the Federal Ordnance with a Winchester GI barrel shoots almost as well as my Spr. Inc. National Match.

Some of the Fed Ords were assembled with Chinese parts. The Chinese bolts are known to be on the soft side, hence many people get there Fed. Ords rebuilt with USGI parts.

BigSwede
March 24, 2008, 10:38
I believe you might be misinformed here.
Either that or he might have been JOKING...

LAFAL
March 25, 2008, 09:28
I had one before I got into fals. Mine had a bad habit of the op rod jumping out of the receiver and jamming on the bolt roller and the side of the receiver. I sold it. My Polytech M1A is a much better rifle even though the finish on the fedord was nicer.

gunner1911
March 27, 2008, 21:09
:devil: Thanks for all the info about these guns!:) :)

Bolt2Bounce
April 14, 2008, 22:31
I had a Fed Ord build with PRC parts. I glass bedded the Soft chines stock and it would shoot one inch at 100 yards...with match ammo. I bought the rifle which had the best trigger pull as I had a few to choose from back in the day... I hosed that rifle for years, I mush have put 5-10 thousand rounds down the tube. I replaced some parts along the way more because the chinese parts were rough and the USGI (were) cheap.. I replaced the rear sight, Flash suppressor..and a few others pts. I built some more 14 from parts and decided I didn't need it any longer. I rebarreled it with a springfield armory barrel and sold it to a friend where it soldiers on...today.. It is a good rifle... B2B