PDA

View Full Version : SA scope mount?

ER
March 18, 2008, 19:24
I scored a SA scope mount for my M1A this weekend, but I`m thinking I might not like it.....

It`s a new generation 2-screw mount, NIB. When I put it on the rifle(custom built NM M1A) it seems that the centerline is offset to the right(when viewed from the rear) about 1/4" and is not over the bore centerline. Is this normal? Seems screwed up to me.........

gumby1957
March 19, 2008, 04:37
ER
General concensus seems to be that the Springfield mounts are the least desirable to properly scope the M-14 / M1A. Due to variations in commercial receiver geometry most folks agree the steel mounts from Sadlak or Smith Enterprises are the way to go. Good luck on your journey to scope that M1A! My wallet developed a large sucking sound by the time I finished mine! Don't take shortcuts. Get a good base, steel rings, and a GOOD scope. Many bargin scopes can't take the recoil of the M1A for an extended period...;)

WCG
March 19, 2008, 07:36
Buy an ARMS #18 base.
It's all steel and the lightest & lowest mount made.
You won't regret it.
I have 4 of them.......:D

Bukaluka
March 19, 2008, 08:06
Where's the best place to get an ARMS #18?

Richard in PV

Groucho
March 20, 2008, 07:24
Fulton Armory is one place. There are many others. Check out the quick throw lever base to go with the #18. I love mine. It isn't a cheap rig, but it is the best, IMHO.

Groucho

ephv
March 21, 2008, 07:03
+1 on the ARMS set up with the additional throw lever. You're right is ain't cheap but if you want something that works and holds against the abuse of the 308 slamming over and over, get the ARMS. I had the SA mount and it was aluminum. It bends under the torque needed to hold and it will flatten out the ridge which is supposed to fit in the slot to align it. It is expensive crap in my book.

Survey Punk
March 21, 2008, 07:23
I've not had the Springfield mount shoot loose in many, many rounds and installed on 2 separate rifles. This with a heavy 30mm IOR scope. It does sit too high, though, and requires a cheekpiece for proper use.
A friend has a newer M1A with mounts screwed to the receiver in typical scope mounting fashion. For comfort it's the bees knees. Scope sits right where it needs to be. Rear base sits where the rear sight would be so there are no irons on this rifle.
Can proper cheek weld be had with the ARMS #18?

JB