PDA

View Full Version : Opinions sought on HP rework...

Deltaten
March 16, 2008, 09:18
I have a later model FN that was still alll Herstal. It needs some internal work and could use a refinish. It has the ubiquitous "sweaty palm' on the butt and a few nicks and scratches from handling. It also sports the factory, self-disassembling adjustable rear sight :D

I am of a mind to send it out for the internal repairs..(won't re-set the sear) and while it's there , get a Novak style low mount rear sight, mod the tall front to suit and some sort of refinish.

Waddya think...re blue? It'd lose *some* value, but not anymore than the damage to it now???....or since I'm gonna mod the thing anyway, get it done up in hard chrome or something?

I've been looking for a local 'smith; but no luck there. Prefer not to go w/paint finish of any kind.

Recommendations on any of the above? Cyl and Slide has a huge back-log last I inquired, so.....

Regards,
Paul

coulter6
March 16, 2008, 15:10
Don Williams did some excellent work on a couple of my BHPs and they turned out great.
The Action Works (http://www.theactionworks.com)

At Lounder Than Words (http://www.louderthanwords.us), there are a whole host of gunsmiths that do great work. Only problem is figuring out which one to choose.

I always thought a hard chrome finish would be pretty cool.

mrbieler
March 16, 2008, 15:46
Another bump for Don. The work took almost a year, but the pistol I got back was worth the wait. :cool:

troubleticket
March 27, 2008, 20:23
CGW

www.cgwgun.com

Did a great job on my Kimber 1911, reasonable cost and
turnaround.

They get my vote.

I am going to send a couple BHPs down to them for sight and finish work
as soon as I figure out what sights and grips I want on them.

J

J. Armstrong
March 29, 2008, 18:00
Many many moons ago I had my HP rebopped by Austin Behlert ( no longer in biz ) . Had the front and backstrap stippled as they were too thin for checkering, low adjustable lpa rear sight sight in place of the POS factory adjustable, slightly extended safety, Kim Ahrends grips, and a black teflon finish. It's my primary carry piece and after all these years I wouldn't change a thing except perhaps go for the Novack as you suggested. I've often thought about trying a HP in .40 S&W or maybe one of the CZ75 family, but somehow just don't feel the need - it ain't broke, so why fix it :D
BTW, of all the grips I tried ( lots !!!!) the Ahrends are far and away the best IMHO, they really change the blocky feel of all the others I tried. Pretty, too, and have held up superbly.

Let us know how yours turns out !!

Andy the Aussie
March 29, 2008, 18:08
Originally posted by J. Armstrong
Many many moons ago I had my HP rebopped by Austin Behlert .....I remember reading about his work in the 80s. I recall he built some mini/compact HPs that were sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet looking.

Brad
March 29, 2008, 18:21
Novak rebuilt most of the FBI's HRT Brownings and quite a few of the CIA ones too... The issued BHPs were all parkerized .. I believe he still does HP work; you may want to give him a call...

Brad

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=475&d=1199388874

J. Armstrong
March 29, 2008, 21:00
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
.....I remember reading about his work in the 80s. I recall he built some mini/compact HPs that were sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet looking.

They were, indeed ! I remember going into his shop and seeing a few of the compacts ( various length slides/barrels, IIRC ) either waiting to be picked up, on consignment, etc. Beautiful workmanship and fascinating pieces in an era when compact serious caliber compacts were a bit harder to come by than nowadays. Of course, the 9mm was just being brought up to acceptable performance levels via improved bullets, so at the time I was carrying a full sized 1911 before I realized that it was a bit much in size and weight :( . Once I got the HP, I never looked back, at least for routine concealed carry. Never felt the need for one of Austins' compacts but they sure were neat !!!

Austins' son later took over the business but never lived up to his fathers' reputation or ability, most unfortunately.