PDA

View Full Version : 9mm wheel gun?

lowr8
March 16, 2008, 00:02
I am interested in a 9mm revolver.
that is affordable. Anyone have any ideas?
For sale?

Retired Bum
March 16, 2008, 01:23
AFAIK, the only current producer of 9mm revolvers is Taurus.

Ruger used to offer the Service Six and Speed Six which used full moon clips. Also the SP-101 with a five shot cylinder. I'm not sure if the 9mm version is still in production.

S&W made two entirely different 9mm revolvers. The J frame 940 Centennial and the K frame Model 547 M&P. Both are out of production. The 940 if found in decent condition is gonna be a pricey item. The 547 which used a patented extractor that worked with rimless cases has become a coveted collector item and the prices are getting outrageous. I bought a secondhand three inch RB M547 about ten years ago for just under $400. Today I could probably double my money.

If you are dead set on a decent 9mm revolver, try for a Model 940. I've been looking for one with zilch results for some time now.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

dakdak
March 16, 2008, 01:41
There was also the single action Ruger .357 Blackhawk with an extra 9mm cylinder. It was blued and very strong but I think you are looking for a double action.

There used to be a company in Texas that imported a multi-caliber revolver about the size of an S&W "L" series that was called the MEDUSA. It allegedly would fire a 9mm cartridge in addition to .357, .38 special, .38 super and so on. I do not know if it is still made or if it is still sold in the US..

TXscout
March 16, 2008, 02:05
Ruger used to make an SP101 in 9mm--They are getting hard to find.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/900655479/Guns/Pistols/Ruger-Double-Action-Revolver/SP101-Type/9_mm_SP_101.htm

lowr8
March 16, 2008, 13:40
Originally posted by dakdak
There was also the single action Ruger .357 Blackhawk with an extra 9mm cylinder. It was blued and very strong but I think you are looking for a double action.

There used to be a company in Texas that imported a multi-caliber revolver about the size of an S&W "L" series that was called the MEDUSA. It allegedly would fire a 9mm cartridge in addition to .357, .38 special, .38 super and so on. I do not know if it is still made or if it is still sold in the US..
Holy smokes! That sounds like a great revolver. Actually a great revolver for a "SHTF need to use any kind of ammo you can find" gun.

dakdak
March 16, 2008, 13:57
It was made by Philips & Rogers and they called it the Medusa Model 47.

Supposedly it would fire 25 different cartridges.

casca
March 16, 2008, 14:50
They can be had, but... Why???:?

dakdak
March 16, 2008, 18:37
You are right.
Why get a revolver that shoots so many different calibers ?

I think it was made for the time when a person wanted or could have only one wheelgun.

Now, I would say look for a Ruger (double or single action) or Smith & Wesson in 9mm and be happy. You will only find these used remember.

lowr8
March 18, 2008, 21:20
i look forward to finding one

deerollman
March 18, 2008, 22:52
Originally posted by casca
They can be had, but... Why???:?

B/C some of us like to limit our number of calibers to stock.

Eclipse
March 19, 2008, 10:47
Manurhin (French) made a version of the M-73 double action revolver in .357 and 9x19mm for European Police back in the 1980's. Very rare here in the US.

Still kick myself for not buying a Charter Arms 9mm Pitbull and a case of empty 9mm Federal brass back when they were cheap. Last time I saw a 50rd box of unprimed 9mm Federal brass at a gunshow the guy wanted $60, apparently it's rare and sought after by cartridge collectors.

Retired Bum
March 19, 2008, 14:15
I just happen to have two full boxes of the Federal 9mm Rimmed 115 gr JHP rounds on my shelves. Plus one box of fired cases. Bought the three boxes from a gunshop going out of business about ten years ago. Paid about $10 a box as I recall.

Never owned the Charter Pit Bull revolver chambered for it. But I do own an old three screw Ruger Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertible. The 9mm Rimmed works just fine in the 9mm cylinder. Performance isn't too shabby either. Something like 1365 fps in the 6.5 inch barrel. Accuracy isn't anything to brag about due to the .002" undersized bullet. If I found a Pit Bull for sale at a give away price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Don't really want or need it, but I like oddball weapons and cartridges.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Deltaten
March 19, 2008, 16:01
My former shooting partner had a S&W m-?? what 952?? another fella had the five-shot vs. We did a belly gun comp one day at a match.

You wouldn't wanna stand anywere near one of thses as it fires:eek:
and youse guys think some 7.62 brakes are bad! lol

Very intense and high frequency report..sorta a plugs AND muffs proposition

Al'ays thunk I'da wanted one till then! :D

Paul

BUFF
March 19, 2008, 22:04
The S&W Model 952 is a target-grade 9mm semiautomatic.

The 5 shot J frame 9mm revolver is the Model 940. The 6 shot K frame with the funky extractor is the Model 547.

While several makers have made them, the 9mm revolver has just never caught on. It seems the 9mm is a high capacity, "blast while it last" kinda round, and even low capacity 9mm pistols haven't been terribly popular unless they were very small.

lowr8
March 31, 2008, 21:40
Originally posted by deerollman

B/C some of us like to limit our number of calibers to stock.
exactly

trucksurfer
April 07, 2008, 13:45
I had a stainless Speed Six in 9mm about ten years ago. Nice little gun, could stash it easily, and carry extra ammo easily, great concept, I wish Ruger would do it again! I was out of work and sold it off rather than file for unemployment...I guess had I not wanted to maintain my dignity I would still have it, but me being a dumbass I sold it to pay the bills instead.

Bawana jim
April 08, 2008, 21:35
:biggrin: :biggrin: So ahhh what would someone be willing to pay for a Smith 940 in about 95 % condition shipped to your dealer????:wink:

jim
edited to add, with about ten clips with it:D

W.E.G.
April 08, 2008, 22:08
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=96901333

Eclipse
December 25, 2008, 11:03
Charter Arms developing a concealed carry revolver in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp that does not require the use of moon clips.

http://www.gunpundit.com/1487.php

nwobhm
December 25, 2008, 11:41
Originally posted by Eclipse
Charter Arms developing a concealed carry revolver in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp that does not require the use of moon clips.

http://www.gunpundit.com/1487.php

Like that better than the Taurus.

trucksurfer
December 25, 2008, 21:34
I think one of those in 45 would be a great back-up to my P220. Besides the internet, has anyone seen hide or hair of these critters yet?

lowr8
December 26, 2008, 02:23
lets not forget its a 9mm revolver thread.

Artful
December 27, 2008, 01:00
Doesn't look like Ruger offers it anymore -
SP101 in 32 H&R Mag, 327 Mag, 357 mag and 38 spl
but NO 9mm
and didn't they off sp101 in 22LR at one time?

Doesn't look like they even stock clips for it anymore, can you shoot the Ruger without the clips?

trucksurfer
December 28, 2008, 16:18
Originally posted by lowr8
lets not forget its a 9mm revolver thread.

OK, I'd like one in 9mm too so I could keep it around as a back-up piece to the 45.

mj2evans
December 31, 2008, 01:51
The Charter Arms pistol looks interesting. Wonder how it works? Can you use a speed loader or is it a loading strip only (not that I plan on a long gun fight with a 5 shot weapon)? The 40 or 45 might be a nice upgrade in power from my 38 snubbie. Back when the S&W Centenial was around I recall reading that the 9mm did suffer quite soo bad from the short barrel vs. the performance loss of the 38 spl. Not sure it really matters (since I assume this weapon would be used at "contact" distance and pucker factor would have more impact than actual caliber used).

trucksurfer
December 31, 2008, 08:34
Funny, not a word of this on the Charter website.

Thorack
February 16, 2014, 21:30
So,

Anyone bought a 9mm pitbull? Ive been looking around and they seem as rare as hens teeth.

Thorack

BUFF
February 17, 2014, 04:09
S&W has just introduced a couple of new 9mm double action revolvers. They are upper-end price- and feature-wise and oriented towards revolver action target games.

Timber Wolf
February 17, 2014, 12:58
I have a few 9mm wheelguns, well two and one that can be converted. In addition to a 9mm cylinder for my .357 Blackhawk I have a couple of the 9mm Speed Sixes. They are neat guns but it is a damn shame to have a revolver beefy enough to be chambered in .357 hamstrung by being a 9mm. To that end I have considered having the chambers in the lessor condition gun lengthened to handle 9X23. That would nake a sweet and quick loading little snub cannon.

FUUN063
February 17, 2014, 15:57
I have the S&W 940. Carried it a while, but prefer 2 to 1 the Model 442 that I now carry. Lighter, easier to load/unload, no moonclips to fumble with and the cylinders getting dirty don't affect the ease of extraction. The fouling really messes with the extraction after a few cylinders full of the 9mm. The Ruger and the S&W share the same type of moonclip for those who want to know. And, I have a line on a NIB Ruger SP101 in 9mm. The gun is new, it appears, and I am told that it is new, however the box is missing the moonclips and the black plastic thingy that goes in the trigger guard when putting the gun back in it's box. No big deal to me, but some, this will bother. I may just buy it and sell it off to fund something else because I think I can get a good price on it. The owner died and a friend of his is selling the entire Ruger collection including this revolver and others. We shall see.

Leland
:fal:

Guy-epic
February 17, 2014, 19:07
Ruger has a dealer special I want one bad here is the link
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/specSheets/0310.html
Comes with a 9mm cylinder

12v71
February 17, 2014, 20:43
Ruger has a dealer special I want one bad here is the link
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/specSheets/0310.html
Comes with a 9mm cylinder
Those are nice. I had the blued model In 79-80? I used .38, .357 and 9mm. It was great for taking potshots at coyotes off the back of a D-9 dozer. The old man kinda raised hell... Til he tried it out of a scraper:facepalm: They are a very versatile gun, Wish I had never traded mine.

Guy-epic
February 17, 2014, 22:04
Those are nice. I had the blued model In 79-80? I used .38, .357 and 9mm. It was great for taking potshots at coyotes off the back of a D-9 dozer. The old man kinda raised hell... Til he tried it out of a scraper:facepalm: They are a very versatile gun, Wish I had never traded mine.

It is on my short list