PDA

View Full Version : I need a wheelgun!

Carolina Slim
March 15, 2008, 22:17
I don't have a single wheelgun in my collection.
I want something cheap but good. I'm leaning toward Ruger GP100? 101? at the moment. Smith & Wesson just confuses my simple mind with their plethora of letters and numbers.

Might go single action. I am in cowboy country after all. I prefer "birds head" style grip to standard on a single action.

I'd really love a Colt Python or Diamondback but I am not going to spend that much for a revolver.

Could be something used as long as it is good quality and not outrageous collectors item.

CWizard
March 15, 2008, 22:40
Bought my Diamondback in 1977 for $180

Otis Treekiller
March 15, 2008, 22:42
Smith & Wesson Model 28. Can still be had used on GB for around $350.

There are few problems that can't be solved with an N-frame Smith.

bykerhd
March 15, 2008, 22:46
Do you have an idea what caliber you are looking for.
Or, maybe what you want the revolver for ?
If you know the intended purpose, that will take you a long way towards getting the right caliber, barrel length and type of action.

Concealed would usually be a double action in .38 Special or .357. Light and with a short barrel.

Hunting with a handgun might be a fairly long barrelled single or double action .357 up to .500 S & W depending on the quarry.

As a back-up carry gun while hunting, something shorter barrelled .357 to .45 Colt might be more appropriate.

Cowboy shooting, you'll need some sort of single action.

A plinker can be literally anything.

And that is only a beginning.:biggrin:

ThePitbullofLove
March 15, 2008, 23:43
Yeah....Model 28!

Next on my list :biggrin:

Carolina Slim
March 16, 2008, 01:02
Originally posted by CWizard
Bought my Diamondback in 1977 for $180

Arrrrrrrgh! 'course that was 1977 dollars. In 1975 my dad paid $150.00 for the Beretta 20 Gauge gas operated semi auto that was my 15th birthday present that year.

I still have that shotgun. I'll be sleeping under a freeway overpass before I sell that gun.

Carolina Slim
March 16, 2008, 01:20
Originally posted by bykerhd
Do you have an idea what caliber you are looking for.
Or, maybe what you want the revolver for ?
If you know the intended purpose, that will take you a long way towards getting the right caliber, barrel length and type of action.

Concealed would usually be a double action in .38 Special or .357. Light and with a short barrel.

Hunting with a handgun might be a fairly long barrelled single or double action .357 up to .500 S & W depending on the quarry.

As a back-up carry gun while hunting, something shorter barrelled .357 to .45 Colt might be more appropriate.

Cowboy shooting, you'll need some sort of single action.

A plinker can be literally anything.

And that is only a beginning.:biggrin:

Bykerhd,
I'm looking for a good all around utility revolver. Something to carry in the woods where there might be big critters with big claws around or two legged snakes. Concealment isn't really an issue, I don't like snubbies - if I want a small gun for concealment I'll get a SiG P225 or a Kahr. I'm looking for something that is accurate, can hit fairly hard but still be reasonable to shoot, (so I'm more likely going with .38Special/.357 mag than a .44mag) and is durable and long lasting. Definitely 4" or larger in barrel length, preferably 6".

I need to decide whether I want to go SA or double. Maybe I'll get both. I'm thinking double action for a utility gun and if I want to go the cowboy route I'll go real old school and get a Civil War style cap and ball gun. Seems like there is just a confusing number of choices of double action revolver choices if I consider both new and used.

There are lots of grizzled ol' cowpoke/prospector Gabby Hayes look-a-like types with tables full of revolvers here at the gunshows in AZ...I don't know what the heck I am looking at at most of them.

I was a military brat so I grew up with 1911's, High Powers, and such like.

Carolina Slim
March 16, 2008, 01:22
Originally posted by Otis Treekiller
Smith & Wesson Model 28. Can still be had used on GB for around $350.

There are few problems that can't be solved with an N-frame Smith.

Otis,
I'm guessing that's a 6 on the left and a 4 on the right? What years were N-Frames made?

Otis Treekiller
March 16, 2008, 08:29
The N-frame has it's origins back in the old Hand Ejector models like the 1917 and is still made today in the form of the 629 and 627. I think production of the 28 ended in the mid 1980's.

Some good info of frame sizes here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9016

Although my six inch is close to new in condition, and the 4 inch is an old carry gun with lots of wear and is a little looser, they are both almost equal in accuracy, and I mean that in a good way! :biggrin:

skeeterbay
March 16, 2008, 09:23
Are you talking bear when you say "big critters with big claws"?

My 2 cents worth: 99% of the time bears will leave you alone. I can't tell you how many run from us while walking in the woods up here. Most of our bear problems seem to be in the spring when food is short. Also young bears out on their own for the first time will do some strange things. Sometimes taking the garbage out at night can be an experience. But truthfully male moose in rut make me more nervous than a bear ever did. However a smart man doesn't venture into a big woods without some sort of firearm.

If your talking hunting black bear with a revolver or the off chance protection from black bears. I would go with something a bit bigger than a 357 mag. Don't get me wrong the 357 mag is a great caliber and I have a few. But after taking more than my share of bear over the years with a handgun. I have to admit the 357 mag is a bit light no matter how you load it. They will work in a pinch I have done it, but I won't do it again if I can help it. I have crawled into the brush and dispatched a good many wounded bear with a 44 mag and many I know have done the same. I can tell you that caliber works well for the job. If your in black bear country try something in 41 mag, 44 mag or the 45 colt. Those three will cleanly take black bear.

If your talking griz country then carry a rifle!

Skeeter!

TerryN
March 16, 2008, 10:08
Carolina Slim wrote: "Maybe I'll get both."

Now you're talking! I'd suggest a good DA .357 Mag revolver for utility use. That way you can either load it hot for serious social interactions, or with .38 Special wadcutters (or whatever) for plinking. A Ruger GP-100 would be an excellent choice.

From what you mentioned about a birdshead grip for a SA revolver, your choices are limited. Ruger made some - not sure if they're still available form the factory. Used ones turn up sometimes, and the birdshead grip frame (for Rugers) is readily available for a DIY project. Uberti probably made or makes a birdshead revolver too, but it's hard to beat a Ruger in that price range.

flejl
March 16, 2008, 11:32
We have several wheel guns and they are a lot of fun.

I agree with the Smith Model 28 being a great first revolver, we have a 6' model and its a lot of fun. If you want to start with .357 Mag, the another good alternative is a Colt Trooper Mk3.

Once you get a 357, then go for a 44Mag, these are really alot of fun...big noise, big fireballs, big recoil!!!!! I have a Taurus M44 and the wife has a Smith Model 629. Both are great pistols, the Taurus is a model 29 clone and the Smith is to me what all DA revolvers try to be.

Good luck and remember that wheel guns multiply in the gun safe faster the other pistols and rifles.

bykerhd
March 16, 2008, 11:43
I had a 6" GP100 Ruger that I really liked. The problem was that it was heavy and overall, kind of large. I traded for a 686 Smith & Wesson with a 4" barrel. Pretty much ideal carry size in a decent holster. Wish I still had it.
I have a 4" barrel .44 Special S & W Mountain Gun and a .45 Colt 5" barrel Model 25 S & W. Nice guns, but the N Frames are a bit bulky to me for lugging around.

As an all purpose revolver for what you are describing:
1st choice for me would be one of the .357 Magnum 686 4" 7 shot Smiths.
2nd choice would probably be a 4" Ruger GP100 stainless .357 Magnum.

If you're thinking of BIG bears you probably want to bump up to a .44 Magnum in a Smith 629 or a Ruger Redhawk. But, they are larger, heavier guns.
The plus is being able to shoot the very nice, very versatile .44 Special cartridge in addition to the much harder recoiling .44 Magnum.

Horseman
March 16, 2008, 12:20
N Frames are great, especially if you want to shoot heavy loads. 125 gr .357s at 1800 FPS is no problem!

Here are a couple of 28s.

Who Knows What This One Will Go For (http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8523866)

High End Model 28 (http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8525684)

Horseman
March 16, 2008, 12:25
Another 28.

4" (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=94529088)

slikrickabn
March 16, 2008, 13:34
I second the idea of the 28- solid, accurate piece. Can't go wrong with a 357. The versatility of the 38special/357 magnum capability can't be overlooked. If you ever get into reloading, the cartridges are easy and economical to reload also. No matter where you go, you will always be able to find ammo for it. I have always advised folks just getting into handgunning to start with a 357 and then add to your collection from it. My 2 cents.

Rick

Otis Treekiller
March 16, 2008, 13:37
Wow, I had no idea there were so many 28 fans here. Maybe it should have it's own forum, too! :devil:

MAINER
March 16, 2008, 15:43
I'd like one of these in a 4 1/2" .44 Spec., but there's lots of options.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Specialty/ThundererStd.htm#

Don't pass up a S&W Model 27 for the right price while browsing for the 28. Both are great wheelguns. Put a .400" smooth combat trigger on a 28 I had. The amount of ammo I toggled thru was amazing.

Another one I like is a Colt King Cobra. Mine had a nice smooth action right out of the box.

Have fun lookin'!

S. Fisher
March 23, 2008, 20:39
Gave this to my wife for Christmas , she really likes it. S&W 686 +7

Artful
March 23, 2008, 23:23
If I can only have one .357 it will be a Dan Wesson - with interchangable barrels and a scope on the 8 inch barrel. :bow:

indy_Muaddib
March 24, 2008, 00:30
a wheelgun will never stovepipe.

you can never lose or break the magazine on a wheelgun.

a wheel gun can easily be topped off.

most wheel guns hold 8 or less, but its a handgun not a MBR, 8 is plenty for a hand gun.

most wheelguns are made in well known well tested calibers like .45LC, .357 and .44.

lever guns come in matching calibers making two gun easy.

a S&W Model 60 and a Henry lever both in .357 is a very workable pairing.

if it will blow through a boars thick skull it will easily go though anything thinner.

also, X- Frame S&W.

.500 S&W is OAL 2.10 inch.

7.62x39 OAL is 2.197 inch.

5.56x45 OAL is 2.26 inch.

its been said that both rounds are in the works.

anybody want a 5/6 shot 7.62x39 revolver?

BUFF
March 24, 2008, 01:53
While specific tasks may point to one caliber or another, for general purposes, if you don't handload or even if you do, a double action .357 Mangum revolver is a very versatile, useful handgun. Tons of differrent .357 Mag and .38 Special loadings around from mild to wild. Cheap to reload, too.

S&W made and/or makes dozens of models and variations of .357's in 4 frame sizes.

The smallest is the J frame, which is usually found chambered for .22 LR and .38 Special but in .357 Mag since about 1995. In .357 they kick like a mule but carry very easily. Not a good, all-around revolver because they aren't much fun to shoot with full loads. Usually a Model 60 or 640.

Next biggest size is the K frame. S&W discontinued their K frame .357 Mag models a couple years ago but there are gazillions of them around still. Six shots, barrel lengths from 2-1/2" to 6", fixed or adjustable sights, blue, nickel or stainless steel.

A blue or nickel, adjustable sight K frame is a Model 19 Combat Magnum. The same gun in stainless steel is a Model 66. The 4" Model 66 may be exactly what you want. Light enough to carry all day, sight it in with .357 Mag ammo but shoot .38 Specials all day for less wear and tear on both you and the gun. A 180 grain .357 Magnum will penetrate most black bears, side-to-side.

Fixed sight K frames in .357 are the Model 13 in blue or nickel and the Model 65 in stainless.

Next step up in frame sizes is the L frame. Basically, a beefed-up frame, larger cylinder with the same grip size and trigger reach as the smaller K frame. More rugged with hot ammo. Most have a full length barrel under-lug like a Colt Python. 2-1/2" to 8-3/8" barrels.

The adjustable sight .357 L frames are the Model 586 in blue or nickel and the Model 686 in stainless. A 4" M-686 weighs more than a 4" Model 66 but will last longer and kick less with the same ammo.

Fixed sight L frames are the Model 581 in blue and nickel and 681 in stainless.

The L frame guns are also made with 7 shot cylinders, and are usually labeled the Model 686+.

The original .357 Magnum was built by S&W on their then-biggest .44 frame, called the N frame, in 1935. Adjustable sights, fine finishes. After 1957, they became known as the Model 27. The Cadillac of S&W handguns. 3-1/2, 4, 5, 6, 6-1/2 and 8-38 inch barrels, blue and nickel finishes, with a few runs of Model 627 stainless steel guns thrown in.

There is a very cool 5 inch, 8 shot Model 627 that redefines cool.

The Model 28 is the model number S&W gave to the Highway Patrolman in 1957. Basically, a Model 28 is a M-27 with less finish work. Available in 4 and 6 inch only and adjustable sights. For years, the best value in S&W's catalog. Bull-strong. Some folks with small hands find the N frame to large for comfortable reach. They have light barrels, but the large frame and cylinder's weight make recoil very manageable.

Look at S&W's web site at www.smith-wesson.com for pictures of some of them.

My suggestion, a 4" Model 66 if you actually will carry it a lot in the woods or a 4" Model 686 if you will only carry it sometimes.

If you are an anti-S&W lunatic looking for a good general double action revolver, I would also suggest looking for a Ruger Security-Six. About the size of a K frame S&W. Stronger, perhaps, if not as smooth as the S&W K's.

Lots and lots of great choices out there.

USMC 0341
March 24, 2008, 03:45
If you do go for a single action wheelgun remember that most of the Uberti's and others going for "historic accuracy" have fixed firing pins and cannot be carried safely with six rounds loaded. They need to be carried with one empty chamber or you will have the hammer's firing pin resting right on a live primer.

The Ruger blackhawk (and I think a few others) give you the old-west feel with a modern mechanism - a floating firing pin in the frame - which allows a full load with proper safety. They also have adjustable sights which matters if you plan to count on it to help keep major parts of your anatomy attached to your body and outside the local fauna.

I have both types of single action and enjoy each for what they are. But I do see a distinct difference between them.

BTW - One of my SAA types is a Cimarron Arms Thunderer. This is my favorite bird's head type - it has a different backstrap shape compared to most bird's head grips. Check out their home page for it.

1911guy
March 24, 2008, 09:36
Ah the Model 28. I have a 4". Had the thing since 1977. Nice gun.

I like the Ruger GP100. Outstanding gun. All of my wheelguns are Smiths but I would buy the Ruger. My favorite .357 is a Smith 586, 4" round butt. Following closely is a Smith Model 24, 4" round butt.

tigerfans2
March 27, 2008, 21:46
6" 28 here, thinking I need some nice rubber grips for it.

owlcreekok
March 28, 2008, 06:36
Originally posted by slikrickabn
I second the idea of the 28- solid, accurate piece. Can't go wrong with a 357. The versatility of the 38special/357 magnum capability can't be overlooked. If you ever get into reloading, the cartridges are easy and economical to reload also. No matter where you go, you will always be able to find ammo for it. I have always advised folks just getting into handgunning to start with a 357 and then add to your collection from it. My 2 cents.

Rick

This hivernant speaks the truth. 'long about 1985, I was hankerin' for a real handgun. I almost chose an H&K P7. Ol' Slik here eased me toward the Smith & Wesson 686 with a 5 7/8" full underlug barrel. I bought it for under $400. With that wheelgun I cut my teeth in the sports of handgunnery and the fun of reloading. Started out reloading .38 Spl with a Lee Loader (the one you use a mallet with).

I now have two 686's. I too would be sleeping under a bridge with at least one of them before I went without.

I even took the venerable old 686 to the silouette range the first time I tried it. I actually cleand the stand of chickens with it, got a few pigs off, spun a turkey or two and rang a few rams. At 200m, the .357 wouldn't take a ram off the stand but it WOULD make a splat if I did my part.

ONE wheelgun ? .38/.357 hands down.

Make- Model ? Your choice. I would go down the list starting from S&W to Taurus to Ruger. (You can't run fast enough to sell me a Colt wheelie, too much watchworks in under the sideplate)

Get your Smith and PM me. I'll walk you through making the DA pull slicker'n owlshit.

PS- Hows that Inchy runnin' ?

davedude
April 01, 2008, 14:55
I was in the market and had a S&W 686 4"recomended to me by a pistolero guy I know. So I bought one. Was everything the fella said it was. Am very very happy with it.

Dave Dude

Carolina Slim
April 13, 2008, 17:50
Originally posted by skeeterbay
Are you talking bear when you say "big critters with big claws"?

My 2 cents worth: 99% of the time bears will leave you alone. I can't tell you how many run from us while walking in the woods up here. Most of our bear problems seem to be in the spring when food is short. Also young bears out on their own for the first time will do some strange things. Sometimes taking the garbage out at night can be an experience. But truthfully male moose in rut make me more nervous than a bear ever did. However a smart man doesn't venture into a big woods without some sort of firearm.

Could be. There are black bears here in AZ but we also have a lot of the big kitties.

Carolina Slim
April 13, 2008, 18:00
Thanks to all who responded to my question. Wealth of information here as usual. I'm probably going to have to narrow it down between a S&W 66, 686 or Ruger GP 100...Buff, your post is excellent run down of Smith models...I'm going to print it out and take it with me to next gun show so I know what I am looking at at revolver laden tables.

Carolina Slim
April 13, 2008, 18:08
Originally posted by owlcreekok

Get your Smith and PM me. I'll walk you through making the DA pull slicker'n owlshit.

PS- Hows that Inchy runnin' ?

If I decide on a Smith, Owlcreek, I will definitely do that!

The Inchy is running fine, but I have not taken it out and played with it since the AZ Shooting.com get together on Dec. 29 at Casa Grande Rifle range. I put about a 100 rounds of Radway Green through it firing at a steel plate about 275 yards away. One of the other shooters was watching through a spotting scope and said I was hitting so close to the center of the plate I shouldn't muck with the sights. I'm going to get a SUIT for it from GunThings so I can see what I am shooting at a distance and keep it authentic UK look.

You did a sweet job on that thing.

I'll let you know once I get the SUIT on it and post a pic.

owlcreekok
April 13, 2008, 19:30
Sounds like you 've already shot that Inchy more than I did. Glad you like it. Thanks for the compliment. You know what they say about a "blind squirrel".

:wink:

sf46
April 13, 2008, 20:59
CDNN has some good prices on some police trade in S&W Model 65's. I just got 3 of them, and they were in great shape.

Carolina Slim
April 13, 2008, 21:02
Originally posted by owlcreekok
Sounds like you 've already shot that Inchy more than I did. Glad you like it. Thanks for the compliment. You know what they say about a "blind squirrel".

:wink:

LOL. Yup, it's been fed some SA from the battlepacks I bought about a year ago and then I scored 400 rounds of Radway at one of the Phoenix gun shows. I should have bought the second tin of 400 the guy had.

Still building up my stock of 7.62...I'll see what is available at the fun show this coming weekend in PHX.

More later, gotta catch a plane for Denver this evening.

CWizard
May 08, 2008, 22:38
Ruger double action handguns have never thrilled me with their trigger pulls either single or double action. The single actions guns are fine. My sercurity six I traded in for a S&W 686.

mpmax
June 06, 2008, 17:30
I just got a flyer from Centerfire systems inc, Smith Model 65-4's for $319. I got one from CDNN a couple of weeks ago for $279...pic's are a few threads down.

Carolina Slim
March 19, 2009, 02:56
I ended up with a gloss blue Ruger GP 100 4 incher. Came with a bunch of Wolff springs that someone might have been contemplating a tuneup job with. 2 trigger guard return springs 8 and 10 lb, 3 hammer springs, 9, 10 and 12 lb.

Seems to shoot fine to me as is, maybe one of you wheelgun experts could tell me how these springs might improve it and what combination to use.

MAINER
March 19, 2009, 09:30
Don't fix what ain't broke, as some say. :D

Just use it as is if your happy with it. Someday you may want a bit lighter trigger or whatever. You will know when you get there.

GP 100 are great guns, tougher than hammers but a bit heavy, make good clubs when empty. :D

DJ
March 19, 2009, 17:14
I have a 6" Smith 28 that I bought new in 1971. Paid less than a hundred bucks for it out the door. The factory grips were too small for my hands so I put a pair of Herrets grips on her. Man, I put thousands and thousands of rounds out of that gun.
Ain't nuthin like an N frame Smith. :love:

1911guy
March 21, 2009, 21:05
I like my 29 also. Had it since 1978. However I can't decide if my favorite is a 586, 4" round butt or a Model 24, 4" round butt. I think I like the 24 a little better.

1911guy
March 21, 2009, 21:06
I like my 28 also. Had it since 1978. However I can't decide if my favorite is a 586, 4" round butt or a Model 24, 4" round butt. I think I like the 24 a little better.

That said, you can't really go wrong with the Ruger

1911guy
March 21, 2009, 21:08
Sorry for the double post. I hit the wrong button and tried to fix things. Perhaps I should stay away from wheelguns since I can't even push a few buttons.

lutefisk
March 21, 2009, 21:40
I love wheel guns.

If shooting full house loads in the magnums, I'd say they aren't as reliable as a good SA...like a Sig 226.

When a wheel gun fails, chances are the fight is absolutely over until you can reseat a bullet, disassemble to open a jammed cylinder from a high primer or get the side plate off to pull a tiny piece of unburned powder from the trigger mechanism(you can't pull through it).

My sample size is big enough to talk about SW's, not the others.

I've had the most failures in 3 different Mod 57's, but I also carried them the longest.

I need another one and am trying to recover a 19 and 57 that I foolishly sold.

I had a couple Rugers. One was even Magna-ported. They just did not turn my crank.

I'd look for a 686 in 4 or 6 inch if I were you.

GRUMPY
March 21, 2009, 21:43
"There are few problems that can't be solved with an N-frame Smith."

Well said. I like that....

sf46
March 22, 2009, 17:34
Originally posted by GRUMPY
"There are few problems that can't be solved with an N-frame Smith."

Well said. I like that....

And there are absolutley NO PROBLEMS that an X-frame can't fix........

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/163503_thumb.jpg

molotov
March 22, 2009, 18:54
Might go single action. I am in cowboy country after all. I prefer "birds head" style grip to standard on a single action.

This is easy.

Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. You can load it hot as hell or keep it tame for easy shootin.

If you want the birdshead grips, look up Qualite grips for Ruger Blackhawk. They offer a birdshead grip for them. Would make a nice little project for fun.

Plus, only a sour old jerk dislikes those powerful ruger handloads.:)

crcksht
March 23, 2009, 10:04
.44 mag beats .357 mag for versatility. You can either download the .44 mag or shoot .44 special for light loads, and factory .44 mag loads are manageable by most anyone with practice. Don't let the stories about recoil prevent you from experiencing what I consider to be the most versatile pistol cartridge in existence. Consider that you can load the .44 mag with bullets ranging from 180 gr. JHP's(light to moderate recoil) for small game or self-defence to 340 gr. hard cast bullets(heavy recoil) for hunting large game.

Get yourself a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk and you won't be disappointed.

nframe
March 25, 2009, 14:57
Imho Ruger gives about the most bang for the buck (pun intended). S&Ws are nicely finished and smooth running but pricey.They have the look and the feel that I like but a Ruger will always get the job done.
There is another thread on 45 Colt here http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258238
Here are two Smith 45acps

[img=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4660/dsc00479a.th.png] (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00479a.png)

nframe
March 25, 2009, 15:02
My picture didn't upload. These danged new fangled computers. Lets see if this works

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4660/dsc00479a.th.png (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00479a.png)

trucksurfer
April 26, 2009, 11:14
I have a Smith 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt, as said before, there ain't much an N Frame can't fix. You can load it with these wimpy cowboy loads or kick thing up a notch with a 250 grain JHP at 950fps and handle about anything that might try to take you on. Either way, it is a lot of fun!

As they aren't making these anymore, I have seen a few .44 magnum Mountain and Trail guns with 4" barrels. You can work up great loads for the .44 that aren't all smoke, flash, and recoil like the factory loads, that will shoot much, much better. I personally prefer heavier bullets at moderate velocities to the 240 grains flash bang loads that come out of the box. You can load up a 300 grain bullet to 1100fps and do just fine, and not break your arm, wrist, eardrum, windows, etc.

trucksurfer
April 26, 2009, 14:22
Originally posted by S. Fisher
Gave this to my wife for Christmas , she really likes it. S&W 686 +7

By God if you don't make husband of the year, there really is something wrong with the world. That has to be THE best Christmas present a fella could give someone. While you're at it, you can pick one up for me for this coming Christmas!

That looks like it would be a great little packin' revolver, and even concealable!

May 09, 2009, 10:28
S&W Model 66 4" barrel, or Model 28 4" barrel (or 5" if you can find it) There are very few social problems that can't be solved by either one. Plus, whenever I'm firing full-power .357 ammo I get a kick out of how some folks jump!;)

Outlaw Patriot
May 09, 2009, 11:05
I have a S/W 627, and I don't think a finer revolver has ever been made. Accuracy is on par with my Sig X-5 (which will do 2 inch groups at 50 yards). The trigger is just about perfect, both DA and SA. It's 8 shots of 357, and loads with moon clips, reloads can be done almost as fast as an automatic with training.

The price might be prohibitive, but they're a great value. Gun shops selling them at retail will be over a grand, but the actual market value (like on gunbroker, or a shop that doesn't rip you off) should be 800ish or maybe less.

EDIT: I guess there is an older 6 shot 627, you want the new 8 shot.

BrenLover
May 14, 2009, 17:40
God, I love wheel guns...I just picked up a 6" 98% 27-3 for $470 OTD. ;)

The finish, the craftsmanship, the no need for buying extra mags etc etc...

trucksurfer
May 15, 2009, 23:12
Originally posted by BrenLover
God, I love wheel guns...I just picked up a 6" 98% 27-3 for $470 OTD. ;)

The finish, the craftsmanship, the no need for buying extra mags etc etc...

You fargin bastage! It's bad enough that you find something that sweet, but then you have to brag about it!!!

irocz28
May 16, 2009, 02:27
You can't go wrong with a GP100...IMO....nice balance,nice feel,and a decent CCW for a wheelgun.I sure do like mine.
http://i42.tinypic.com/29qef50.jpg

Blue Monster
May 16, 2009, 10:18
Sorry Smith guys, best DA wheel gun I have ever owned and perhaps shot (at least with a short bbl).

1970s Ruger Speed Six
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r61/bluemonster2003/guns/sp6.jpg

trucksurfer
May 16, 2009, 10:34
Hey Blue,
No need to worry about offending anyone, a true revolver guy loves wheel guns period. They all have some merit, even the crappy ones make good paperweights!

The Speed Six is a fine gun, I have been kicking myself for ten years for selling the little 9mm Stainless Speed Six I had...:cry:

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! :mad:

The Speed Six is a great little gun, I have been looking for another at a reasonable price with a short tube. Ideal carry revolver, and will ALWAYS go bang when you drop that hammer!

Blue Monster
May 16, 2009, 10:39
Ideal carry revolver, and will ALWAYS go bang when you drop that hammer!

Never truer words. :bow:

BrenLover
May 19, 2009, 21:34
Originally posted by trucksurfer

You fargin bastage! It's bad enough that you find something that sweet, but then you have to brag about it!!!

:wink: I was just in the right place at the right time. I picked up a 6.5" 29-2 in 98% from the same dealer a couple years ago for $500 OTD.

I did miss out on a S&W 57 in minty condition from the same dealer though....:( When I went back to get it a little while later is was gone.:cry:

BUFF
May 19, 2009, 21:55
Older S&W handguns are really appreciating. Since the guns got the dreaded internal lock, MIM action parts and other changes to make them more "affordable," some older guns have nearly doubled in price.

trucksurfer
May 20, 2009, 06:16
Originally posted by BUFF
Older S&W handguns are really appreciating. Since the guns got the dreaded internal lock, MIM action parts and other changes to make them more "affordable," some older guns have nearly doubled in price.

That's no shit, I bought a really nice 29-2 as described by the previous poster four years ago for around $300, and now he's talking about picking one up for $500!

BrenLover
May 20, 2009, 13:15
Originally posted by trucksurfer

That's no shit, I bought a really nice 29-2 as described by the previous poster four years ago for around $300, and now he's talking about picking one up for $500!

Hell, even $500 is a good price these days......

Edit to add the 27-3 I made note of earlier has a 8-3/8" barrel, not 6"...I was thinking of the K-38 I picked up....

trucksurfer
May 20, 2009, 13:18
Originally posted by BrenLover

Hell, even $500 is a good price these days......

Edit to add the 27-3 I made note of earlier has a 8-3/8" barrel, not 6"...I was thinking of the K-38 I picked up....

Ah the K-38, have a 14-3 myself, very nice little revolver. That said the Model 65 I have is what get used mainly because it isn't as rare as the 14.

I need another N frame, anyone have one they need to dispose of?

charles isaac
May 20, 2009, 13:20
Originally posted by Blue Monster
Sorry Smith guys, best DA wheel gun I have ever owned and perhaps shot (at least with a short bbl).

I had a stainless 3" 9mm Speed Six. Kind of a chunky little gun, but it handled nicely and had a pretty good action for a Ruger.

I really liked this Ruger, hey, it shot cheap 9mm and disassembled easily! Well, when I shot it with Speer Gold Dots, 2 of every 6 or so shots were misfires! The mainspring had plenty of power, but either the chambers were too deep or the firing pin wasn't long enough. I sold it for $165- what I had in it-then found out that they were pulling at least 2 to 3 times that much!:rofl: