PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for .22LR revolver?

ratas calientes
March 15, 2008, 16:14
What would be a good .22LR revolver for packing around, camping, hiking, etc.? Not too big, stainless, double action. Any thoughts? http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

JohnnyMac
March 15, 2008, 16:50
Taurus Tracker (http://taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=392&category=Revolver)

JMc

GOVTMOD
March 15, 2008, 16:57
S&W 617 if you can find one. Ruger SP-101 4" again if you can find one. If not the Taurus does well too.

Retired Bum
March 15, 2008, 17:02
If you are on a budget, then one of the small frame Taurus DA model with at least a four inch barrel and adjustable sights. But the QC of Taurus revolvers is somewhat spotty and you can get a lemon if not careful during the selection process.

Another lower cost revolver would be a Charter Pathfinder with the above features. As with the Taurus, you must be careful in the selection.

Now if money isn't a real concern, then a S&W Model 63 .22/.32 Kit Gun. I had a four inch model with the redramp front sight blade and the white outline adjustable rear sight. It was a square butt version fitted with the factory oversize target grips. The current version is round butt only and this makes finding replacement grips much easier these days. The only concern I ever had about the Model 63 and the blued Model 34's I've owned over the years was that they are a bit muzzle light for target shooting. But for carrying as a trail gun or informal target shooting/plinking, the 63 is hard to beat. I'd stay away from the two inch barrel 63's though. They are cute as hell, but that tall front sight blade makes it difficult to shoot to point of aim. I had two of the M34's two inchers and both of them had the same problem.

Then there is the Ruger SP-101 four inch .22 DA. It is heavier than the Model 63 and doesn't have a fully adjustable rear sight. A pal of mine has one and I have shot it. It does shoot to point of aim with hi-vel 40 grain loads. But the trigger is a typical Ruger DA and somewhat gritty and heavy. It certainly is muzzle heavy with the full length shrouded barrel.

Those are the only stainless steel small frame makes and models that I know of at present.

I have two revolvers in this class. A four inch Model 34-1 Smith and a four inch Colt Diamondback. But these are blued carbon steel models and may not be what you are looking for. Besides, the Diamondback has reached collector status and is priced accordingly.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

skeeterbay
March 15, 2008, 17:36
If you must have a double action then I can't think of a better choice than the diamondback or a smith kit gun. They are great well made guns. But if you are looking for a inexpensive, high quality, accurate utility camp 22 and you can deal with a single action. Then it's hard to beat the Ruger single six with a 22lr and 22 mag cly. IMHO they are a perfect woods/camp 22 and used ones are everywhere for little of nothing.

Skeeter!

bykerhd
March 15, 2008, 19:17
I had a Taurus 94. Not a bad little gun. Nine shot stainless double-action.
But, the action was pretty rough compared to ANY Smith I've used. And, the small frame made it very difficult to shoot accurately.
A Smith & Wesson 617 would be a better choice. The S & W Kit Gun is the same size as the Taurus. Never tried the Ruger SP101. I'm sure it is as tough as any Ruger. Not so sure about the size though. Might be a problem also if you have large hands.
The Ruger Single-Six will last forever and can be had with both .22 & .22 Magnum cylinders if you find that you can live with a single action.

abbynormal
March 15, 2008, 20:43
S&W 617 10 shot K frame, SS, get a fibre optic front sight and an action job and you will be set for life. A friend got one and now two others bought the exact same gun and are happy as bugs. I myself stick with a classic Mdl 17 6" blue.

CWizard
March 15, 2008, 22:36
Love my colt Diamondback. The Ruger single six is a winner also:bow:

Brush511
March 16, 2008, 00:09
You can't go wrong with a Single Six or the Smith kit guns. I always wanted to try a Ruger Bearcat. I think they would be great, light and handy with enough sight radius to hit something.

vmtz
March 16, 2008, 11:55
Single six, you don't need a double action, you're not a gun slinger.

Vince

ratas calientes
March 16, 2008, 12:34
Originally posted by vmtz
Single six, you don't need a double action, you're not a gun slinger.

Vince Do you have one? May I borrow it? May I shoot it? Does it come with a beer? http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

dakdak
March 16, 2008, 13:36
Ruger Single Six...

It is a winner.
Strong, very strong, and with a .22 mag cylinder it rocks.

I used to shoot rats at a dump with stinger .22LRs and when I saw some really big ones I got back in the car and changed cylinders to the .22 mag and zapped them too.

Now I just plink and have a lot of fun. But, I could get all the squirrel, rabbit and woodchuck meat I want if I would only take the time to stalk them properly.

It is a good gun.

I will always keep one of them in my inventory.

DJ
March 16, 2008, 15:18
Originally posted by CWizard
Love my colt Diamondback. The Ruger single six is a winner also:bow:

Man I would kill to find a Diamondback!
I have 2 Colt Single Action Frontier Scouts. Ones a Buntline with the 9 inch barrel and the other has a 4 3/4 inch barrel. They're cool little guns.

vmtz
March 16, 2008, 19:47
Originally posted by ratas calientes
Do you have one? May I borrow it? May I shoot it? Does it come with a beer? http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

Yes to all.

Vince

Andy the Aussie
March 16, 2008, 20:06
I have a Colt Officers Model Match. It is a BIG .22 but fantastic to shoot. 6 inch barrel. Made in the 50s. I REALLY want a S&W K frame 22 (Mod 17 ? ) but can't bring myself to part with the Colt nor justify two .22 revolvers.

Andy:beer:

ratas calientes
March 16, 2008, 20:16
Vince - does Peterson's have a good selection of .22LRs, or need I go elsewhere to put my hands on a few to see how they feel? http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

skeeterbay
March 16, 2008, 20:31
Andy, don't they have a lot of rabbits or snakes over your way? Makes a fine excuse for a new 22 :)

Skeeter!

Andy the Aussie
March 16, 2008, 20:41
Originally posted by skeeterbay
Andy, don't they have a lot of rabbits or snakes over your way? Makes a fine excuse for a new 22 :)

Skeeter! .....yeah...but I have three and only two hands..... ;):cool:

vmtz
March 16, 2008, 20:57
Originally posted by ratas calientes
Vince - does Peterson's have a good selection of .22LRs, or need I go elsewhere to put my hands on a few to see how they feel? http://chilirat.com/emoticons/chilirat.gif

A pretty good selection. The best price for about ten to twenty dollars is Sportsman's Warehouse. However, I would rather buy from Peterson's than them because I always try to support local businesses.

Vince

BUFF
March 16, 2008, 21:57
If you don't really NEED stainless, your options are much wider.

S&W makes/made them in two frame sizes. The medium frame is the K frame and the smaller frame is the J frame.

K frame: Blue steel, 4" is the Model 18. Perhaps the best combination of portability and ease of shooting. Enough weight to make a steady hold without dragging your britches down when holstered. Blue steel, 6" and 8-3/8" is the Model 17. Both guns are often called "K-22's". Lots of them out there but a good one will run you $500.00.

They were replaced by the Model 617, basically the same gun in stainless steel, mostly with heavy, Colt Python-style full length barrel underlug. They are made with 6 and 10 shot cylinders. They are nice range guns but pretty hefty for belt wear.

The K frames are much better shooters than the J frames. The trigger actions are usually far better out of the box and easier to tune, the grips and sights are big enough to be useful, and they have enough weight to steady your hold.

J frame: In blue steel they are called Model 34 Kit Guns, in stainless they are called Model 63. Basically, 2" and 4" barrels. The 4" is a lot easier to shoot than the 2" because of both the longer sight radius and slightly heavier weight.

S&W has a new Model 63 that has a 5 " barrel and 8 shot cylinder. The pictures look odd but they may be the best compromise between shooting ease and portability.

They make some AirLite versions that weigh next to nothing called Model 317's. 8 shot cylinders. The fixed sight 2" is only 10.5 ounces. The 3" adjustable sight gun would be a better choice.

Many people think that because the .22 LR cartridge is inexpensive, they can get by with a cheap .22 handgun. I think that, especially with centerfire ammo costs so high, a high quality .22 handgun will help you learn and maintain most of your handgun skills at a fraction of the cost of shooting a centerfire gun.

Lots of good choices out there, but one of the main keys to hitting is a good trigger. S&W triggers, both SA and DA, are as good as you can get out of the box.

I have a mess of good .22's, but my Model 18 would be my keeper if I was forced to trim the herd.
Good luck!

richbug
March 17, 2008, 06:27
Ever since I had shot a friends S&W 22lr revolver I lusted for one. I just couldn't justify the expense. First I tried one of those $129 single action convertible POS guns. Then I tried a Ruger Single action convertible. Then I bought a Taurus 94(small grip might have been an OK gun for a child, and it was accurate, I simply couldn't hold it accurately, and the trigger sucked), none were anywhere close to the S&W. I Dumped all of them, and gave up on an affordable 22 wheel gun(the revolver might never have been an issue if PA would allow an auto for hunting).

A few ago I found a 6" 1947 K-22 masterpiece for $300, I bought it sight unseen. I shot the hell out of it, but have started to worry about excess wear on such a wonderful old gun. SOOOO I had to buy another. A week ago I stumbled into another deal, This time a NIB 617-1, 4" 6 shot(1992 date of birth). Set me back $350, deals are out there, don't settle for a crappy gun.

GOVTMOD
March 17, 2008, 08:00
BUFF,

Bring that that K-22 down to the shop and we'll see what we can do to give her a good tune up.

My boss was the S&W satilite warranty center when they had that program and we still have a ton of parts and conections to find ones we don't have.

DYNOMIKE
March 17, 2008, 10:49
It aint No S&W but it aint bad either...
Bought this Little M94 for my Wife a long time ago.. Been a Pretty good pistol so far.. Single action aint Bad, Double action could use some Help but not Terrible..

A plus is it's a 9-Shooter..
Another Plus is the Price, as long as ya get a Good one it's well worth the $$..

Negative~ Yes it is Small and does not fit my hands very well.. I can shoot it O.K , Perfect for the Wife and Kids though..

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P3160058.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P3160054-1.jpg

CRShooter32
March 17, 2008, 15:18
Originally posted by DJ

Man I would kill to find a Diamondback!
I have 2 Colt Single Action Frontier Scouts. Ones a Buntline with the 9 inch barrel and the other has a 4 3/4 inch barrel. They're cool little guns.

I have a Colt New Frontier, with both .22 LR, and .22 mag cylinders, got it from my grandfather. Very cool little single action 22s. Beats the Ruger single six any day.

Temp
March 17, 2008, 17:01
I'll have to throw in a vote for a 6" S&W K-22.

I realize that it's not a compact revolver,... but they shoot like a carbine.

I bought a Ruger Bearcat first,... and it's a fun little toy,... but that's what it is compared to my K-22,... a toy.

The K-22 is a precision device,.. a seriously accurate firearm.

Blackmore
March 17, 2008, 17:54
H&R Sportsman. Top break 9-shooter. Adjustable sights. Pick them up for +/- $140-$200.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/659H_R_Sportsman_002.jpg

bykerhd
March 17, 2008, 18:28
I make do with these two. An old S & W Model 17 6" and an older Colt Official Police 4" with Micro sights.

By the way, there are speed loaders around for the S & Ws and also the H & R and Taurus nine shot revolvers. The same one actually works for the H & R and the Taurus. Definitely speeds up the reloading process and in .22, they don't weigh much.

Brush511
March 17, 2008, 20:04
Originally posted by CRShooter32

I have a Colt New Frontier, with both .22 LR, and .22 mag cylinders, got it from my grandfather. Very cool little single action 22s. Beats the Ruger single six any day.

Interesting . I had a Frontier Scout with both cylinders and I was disappointed in it. It wasn't bad but not especially accurate and the fit and finish wasn't up to my expectations of a "Colt", particullarly for the value tied up in it. I finally decided I liked my 3 screw Single Six better and sold it to finance FAL parts. :)

CRShooter32
March 18, 2008, 08:32
Originally posted by Brush511

Interesting . I had a Frontier Scout with both cylinders and I was disappointed in it. It wasn't bad but not especially accurate and the fit and finish wasn't up to my expectations of a "Colt", particullarly for the value tied up in it. I finally decided I liked my 3 screw Single Six better and sold it to finance FAL parts. :)

Does the Scout model have the groove rear sight, or does it have the adjustable target rear sight? Mine has the adjustable, quite accurate.

Brush511
March 18, 2008, 09:33
Groove rear sight. Maybe my ability to see the sight had more to do with its accuracy. I wasn't inaccurate just not a tack driver. Don't get me wrong it was a nice revolver but things like the fit of the grip frame to the frame weren't all that good and the plastic grips weren't fitted well. I just expected (and maybe wrongly) that a Colt would be fitted much better than a Ruger. I could get a lot more for the Colt and didn't need another .22 single action revolver, so I sold it.

A-ALLOY
March 20, 2008, 10:11
I carry a S&W 63 nice litte trail gun I had a K17 but sticky fingers got it years ago! I'd like another one! A friend bought a taurus last year and it shoots nice.

Celtic warrior
March 20, 2008, 11:26
Huge ditto, used to love that top break kicking out the spent shells!

Originally posted by Blackmore
H&R Sportsman. Top break 9-shooter. Adjustable sights. Pick them up for +/- $140-$200.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/659H_R_Sportsman_002.jpg

davedude
March 25, 2008, 10:44
Great thread! I been looking for a .22lr revolver for a long time. thought I wanted a ruger single six but they don't fit my hand very well. I like the way the ruger gp-101 fits my hand but can't find one in .22lr.
Will have to have a look at the smiths, man I don't need much of an excuse to buy a smith anything, i have a 686 and it has the best trigger by far of any firearm I own....fits my hand well also----
I will also look at the other recomendations--can't hurt and I like to look :D

Thanks for a great thread.

Dave Dude

Temp
March 25, 2008, 15:25
I'm gonna offer up another thought.

Like Ratas, I went looking for a compact .22 "kit gun" a few years ago. The S&W's are difficult to find around here and when you do find one, you need to be prepared to get up off your wallet.

I was at a gunshow,.. keeping an eye out for a S&W J frame .22, and I stumbled across a guy who had an old pre war hand ejector "I" frame in .32 long.

The "I" frames are a little bit smaller than the "J" frames and in .32 they have a 6 shot cylinder. They look, for all the world, like a scaled down Model 10. In fact, that's exactly what they are. They also have the leaf mainspring like a "K" frame instead of the coil that's used on the "J" frames.

I really didn't know much about them, but he was letting it go for $225 (almost half the price of a "J" frame .22) and it was in very decent condition. It still locked up tight and the bore was excellent.

I now own two of them as well as a 1920 Colt Police Positive in the same chambering,... and they're all obnoxiously accurate,... and the fixed sights shoot to point of aim.

Of course,.. they're not as cheap to shoot as a .22,... but Hornady sells their 90 grain hollow base wadcutters in boxes of 400 for a little less than $20 and a pound of Bullseye will last forever at 1.8 grains per cartridge.

Nice pre war "I" frames in .32 long aren't that hard to find if you keep your eyes open,.. and they're usually priced right,.. somewhere around $250 seems to be the tariff on a good shooting example. In fact,.. they're probably one of the least expensive pre war S&W's available right now.

For the difference in price between them and a S&W kit gun you can buy dies and enough components to keep you shooting for a long time,... not to mention that the .32 has considerably more "smack" that a rimfire.

And besides all of that,... they're just very classy little old revolvers.

Here's one of mine. It's from 1928.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/FalMike/MVC-030S.jpg

bykerhd
March 25, 2008, 16:13
Temp, I've been watching for .32 revolvers ever since you posted your pics of them a few years back.
I've only seen a couple for sale and here in the North, the dealers think they are rare collectibles or something. The last rather decent looking, but no where near mint sample I saw was tagged at around $ 425.
I may own one yet. But not at those kind of prices.
Maybe they're more common, and less expensive, down your way ?

skeeterbay
March 25, 2008, 18:03
Temp, good point and you have good taste in revolvers!

FWIW I have used the 32 S&W long and the 32-20 on and off over the years. They both worked well on small game and pests. They also have a very low report. Partridge drop when hit and I have never had one run off. The little lead slugs just punch a nice clean hole if you happen to miss the head shot. Beats the heck out of picking shot out.

Skeeter!

Temp
March 25, 2008, 18:04
Could be,... I dunno.

Some dealers just stick outrageous prices on anything that's a bit old.

The most I've paid for an "I" frame is $300,.... and it's a .38 S&W Regulation Police in very nice condition from the first year of production.