PDA

View Full Version : M21 vs M14

Ben Rogers
March 15, 2008, 00:49
I just came across the reference, recently, to the M21--basically the same gun as the M14, but "tweaked" to be more accurate?

Is this correct?

Are there other differences?

rcnpthfndr
March 15, 2008, 07:49
the stock has an adjustable cheeck piece. i would not call all the modification teaking. maybe a minor overhaul.

this weekend, i will search the laptop i had in iraq and find the overhaul manual for the M-21 which AMU gunsmiths put out and i have the IDF version also.

let me check the manual real quick

TerryN
March 15, 2008, 08:57
The M21s that I handled back in the early 80s were essentially NM M14s with slightly different bedding (a 'bridge' under the front of the receiver), and ART II scopes on them. The original M21s had an epoxy-impregnated wooden stock. I'm not sure if these rifles did or not, but they still had wooden stocks. The 'M!4' stamping on the receiver heel had been ground off and 'M21' electropenciled in its place.

Ben Rogers
March 16, 2008, 19:39
Is the M21 fully automatic?

Douglas Wozny
March 18, 2008, 11:42
ALL U.S. RIFLES, 7.62 mm, M14 AND RIFLES MADE FROM THE U.S. RIFLE, 7.62 mm, M14 ARE CAPABLE OF AUTOMATIC FIRE! SOME MAY HAVE A SELECTOR LOCK INSTALLED IN PLACE OF THE SELECTOR SWITCH AND SOME MAY HAVE THE LOCK SOLDER/WELDED IN PLACE BUT THEY ARE ALL CABABLE OF AUTOMATIC FIRE!

rcnpthfndr
March 18, 2008, 13:45
mine was a 1962 winchester semi-auto

Douglas Wozny
March 18, 2008, 20:44
rcnpthfndr,

Your M12 started out as a U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, M14 manufactured by Winchester (M14's were manufactured by the government Springfield Armory, TRW, H&R and Winchester) with the selector switch replaced by the selector lock which LIMITED the rifle to semiautomatic operation but DID NOT eliminate the capability of the rifle for selective fire. Depending on how the lock was attached (pinned, pinned and soldered or pinned and welded) with the proper tools and time it would again be a selective fire weapon!

Prototype Services
March 19, 2008, 00:57
I know a guy who had one of the M-14s sent out to HiPower shooters. It got recalled a while back, but he told me the selector lug on the receiver was torched off right through the selector hole, so I doubt it could have been restored to select-fire any easier than converting an M1A.
Just an observation.....

I would like to know the bedding and accurizing procedures for the M-21 too.

Douglas Wozny
March 19, 2008, 11:02
Prototype Services,

I am quite certain that modification would be classified as "destruction of government property" and was done without authorization from the U. S. Army. None of the documentation I has seen (and I have seen a lot but I will admit not ALL) indicates modification to the receiver that would eliminate the capability of select fire.

But having seen what passes for expert information out there I would not be surprised by anyhting.