PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else own a Polish WZ29?

squid8286
March 13, 2008, 22:29
I found one of these years ago in a local gunshop. Made in 1934. I bought it because all of the #s matched on it, including the stock. I recognized the "Radom" name from the Radom P35. Barrel has a little pitting, but overall it's in very good shape. It still has what appears to be the original sling on it. About a month later (in the same shop) the guy had a CASE of Polish 8mm made in 1936. I bought five or six unopened boxes of it from him. I opened one, the stuff looked like it was made the week before. Never have fired this thing. I guess I have had it about 20 years now. Anybody else have one? It's my understanding they are kind of rare.

ftierson
March 13, 2008, 23:01
I have one that I 'sporterized' in 1979. The action was nice, but the bore was shot out.

I cleaned up the action, milled the handguard retainer lip off the front of the receiver, took off the clip guide bump and sent the receiver off to ER Shaw for a .308 Win. barrel (26in Heavy Varmint). They also forged the bolt handle low for scope mounting (and they did an absolutely first rate job of doing it, too). I then cold blued the whole thing and hunted with it for many years. Finally, just a few weeks ago, I pulled the scope mounts and stuff off and took the barreled action and other parts into the shop and blued it all up. I must admit that it looks a lot better with real bluing...

The rifle action is glass bedded in the original Polish military stock (which has had the fore-end shortened and a good recoil pad installed).

It has been a great shooter, and has only had slightly under 1000 rounds through it even after all these years. The bore still looks nearly new (one of the advantages of slow fire).

Yes, the originality is gone, but the bore was toast anyway.

If ER Shaw had been selling 8mm Mauser barrels when I had this all done, I would have had them mount an 8mm Mauser barrel instead of the .308. But they weren't...

I've been quite happy with it anyway.

Forrest

akajun
March 14, 2008, 07:38
Ive got one that is "scrubbed" for the spanish civil war. It is in like new condition and the bore is excellent. IT will shot 2 to 3 inch groups with open sights and surplus ammo. Even better with handloads.

squid8286
March 14, 2008, 11:35
Of all the guns I have, this is the one I wish could talk. I bet it has been in some shit. I almost bought a "scrubbed" one a few years ago to go with the one I now have, but I didn't. What I really want is to find the correct bayonet for it. I would like to see a picture of the sporterized one, can you post one?