PDA

View Full Version : Pre-1994 M1A Match-Grade Good price?

OrangeSkies
March 13, 2008, 13:40
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question already, but just need a bit of feedback (i.e., prodding) from others...

Anyway, I've been eyeing an M1A that a local gun shop has on consignment...

It's listed as a:
--"Pre-AWB" M1A (pre 1994?)
--Black walnut stock and fore end
--Winchester bbl
--All other parts GI
--Two muzzle breaks
--Two 20 round mags
--Has never been fired!!

Listed at $1600

I don't realy need another .308, but how can possibly I afford not to buy this? And besides, I have that one little empty slot in the back corner of my gun safe...

What do y'all think? Yay, or Nay?

gunshack
March 13, 2008, 13:44
If it's really all GI parts it sounds like a fair deal, not great but fair. I'd try to get it for $1400.

OrangeSkies
March 13, 2008, 14:42
Fair price? I looked on GunBroker and found 2 similar M1A's - one was listed with an opening bid of $1999, the other still has a day left on it and is up over $1700 and still hasn't met the reserve price.

Then I checked with Springfield and see that new this would run just under $2500.

I'm buying it.

Hammer1
March 13, 2008, 14:48
+1 on Gunshack's comment.

J. Armstrong
March 13, 2008, 15:16
+2

I think auctions in general are sometimes misleading. One day that beat up wallhanger is bringing a fortune, next day the same thing NIB goes begging................go figure.

Survey Punk
March 13, 2008, 15:25
"Muzzle breaks" are not allowed in any of the match shooting I'm aware of. A GI Winchester barrel is not standard on any match rifle I've ever been exposed to.
Be wary of what is described as a "Match" rifle.
A good M1A with all GI parts should be looked at for what it realistically is. I'd say $1300 tops.

JB

TerryN
March 15, 2008, 08:59
Originally posted by Survey Punk
"Muzzle breaks" are not allowed in any of the match shooting I'm aware of. A GI Winchester barrel is not standard on any match rifle I've ever been exposed to.
Be wary of what is described as a "Match" rifle.
A good M1A with all GI parts should be looked at for what it realistically is. I'd say $1300 tops.

JB

+1, although I believe that muzzle brakes are now allowed due to the silliness in Cali.

uivandal
March 15, 2008, 09:29
I bought basically the same rifle about a year ago for $1150. I'd wait and see what else pops up for sale ... I looked for over a year before I took the plunge.

OrangeSkies
March 18, 2008, 11:23
Thanks for the feedback. I've offered $1250 for it. We'll see what happens. Like I said, I already have a couple .308's so I realy don't need this one (like that's ever stopped me from buying something before...)

crcksht
March 18, 2008, 11:25
If the Winchester barrel is the USGI chrome-lined barrel, it isn't likely to provide match-grade accuracy and therefore doesn't justify the $1600 price. Probably a nice rifle, but the price is too high, IMO.

WCG
March 18, 2008, 18:41
Lets look at some variables in regards to the parts.
If you had a T&E and MW guages, you could judge the wear on the barrel.

Many things come in to play when determining value.
Here's some to consider.
How is the spline on the trigger housing ?
Nice & square or all chewed up from abuse ?

How is the op-rod receiver lug (tab) ?
Nice & square or very thin from use ?

Does it have a USGI flash suppressor or commercial ?
Stock in nice shape or ding up ?

If all the USGI parts are in excellent condition, I'd say the price is good.
Consider also that USGI parts are now a premium, most anywhere ya buy them.
Any extras would be a bonus.

Bottom line is that condition always determines the value.